FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ever?
No- zip ziclch zero 20 76.92%
$1- $199 2 7.69%
$200-$999 1 3.85%
over $1000 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: What price for friendship: $100 for you or $1000 for a friend?

Interesting question.

As soon as the money gets that enticing, it's up to the point where one of my best friends would just be giving me a decent amount of it, not to mention I'd benefit from being able to use his new house/boat/whatever.

So I never take the 1:10.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM

A lot of people keep saying things like "my friend would just be giving me a decent amount" or "take care of me."

I don't get this. Sure, if I won Powerball for $100M, I'd probably pay off my friend's college loans, maybe buy him a house or something.

If I won $1M-$10M, he'd probably get free rounds of drinks at the bar, maybe pay for him to come to Vegas. Even my brothers wouldn't get much. Just my parents.

Would you expect your friends to just give you a chunk of cash?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM

I would never take 10%, money just isn't worth that much
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

But I'd take the $2K over my friend getting 20K. Anyone just getting 20K out of the blue from a stranger is way too much. 10K probably wouldn't cause my friend to start snorting coke or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

god, you are such a douche bag. no wonder you had me on ignore, its because douche bags usually dont like what I have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it certainly depends on which friend. I have exaqtly two friends that I can guarantee would be able to accept in excess of 20k and not let it affect them negatively.

But I have this weird suspicion that the average person (even though they are my friend, and are of upstanding character) would not be mature enough to just receive more than $10K without doing work, without going nuts and doing harmful things with it.

Obviously, strictly talking EV (between the two of you), it's always best to defer to the friend, even if you don't think your friend will spend >10% on you.

I also live where the cost-of-living is pretty low so if I lived in San Francisco, my answer would be different.

BTW, what exactly was it about my answer that sounds douchebaggy? Or is it just that you are upset about the ignoring, and looking to publicly pummel me to feel better about yourself?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM

If we're talking about my very best friends, any amount up until about $10 million, at which point I could give them tons of money anyway.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

But I'd take the $2K over my friend getting 20K. Anyone just getting 20K out of the blue from a stranger is way too much. 10K probably wouldn't cause my friend to start snorting coke or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

god, you are such a douche bag. no wonder you had me on ignore, its because douche bags usually dont like what I have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it certainly depends on which friend. I have exaqtly two friends that I can guarantee would be able to accept in excess of 20k and not let it affect them negatively.

But I have this weird suspicion that the average person (even though they are my friend, and are of upstanding character) would not be mature enough to just receive more than $10K without doing work, without going nuts and doing harmful things with it.

Obviously, strictly talking EV (between the two of you), it's always best to defer to the friend, even if you don't think your friend will spend >10% on you.

I also live where the cost-of-living is pretty low so if I lived in San Francisco, my answer would be different.

BTW, what exactly was it about my answer that sounds douchebaggy? Or is it just that you are upset about the ignoring, and looking to publicly pummel me to feel better about yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

This part right here.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM

2nd question was really hard, but I put 10k, though I think now I should have done 20k. That's a very very significant amount of money for me, but still 200k for him, fk that's a really hard question.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but I have this weird suspicion that the average person (even though they are my friend, and are of upstanding character) would not be mature enough to just receive more than $10K without doing work

This part right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're mad because I would make a "moral" judgement? Are you aware of how many people win the lotto and it ruins their life? It's all relative...similar to what I was saying, if I was like in my 60's and I had friends that were millionaires (and had years of experience handling lots of money responsibly) then hell, I'd go really high, up into the millions.

What I think is funny is that some people who disdain moral judgement are the ones who think "ehhh, my buddy will spend money on me anyway, so I'll give it to him" wtf? If I chose to allow a friend to have a large sum of money, I wouldn't expect anything in return.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM

no, Im not mad because you are making a moral judgment, Im calling you a douche at the fact that you are making a blanket statement about people that is retarded and generally wreaking of self-righteousness. Unless you hang out with morans, or are a self-righteous douche bag, I dont see how you can have an atitude of "generally my friends are such immature idiots that they cant handle 10,000 lousy dollars and not kill themselves w/ it, Id be much better suited than them, because Im so superior."

maybe Im way off here though, and am reading into it.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, Im not mad because you are making a moral judgment, Im calling you a douche at the fact that you are making a blanket statement about people that is retarded and generally wreaking of self-righteousness. Unless you hang out with morans, or are a self-righteous douche bag, I dont see how you can have an atitude of "generally my friends are such immature idiots that they cant handle 10,000 lousy dollars and not kill themselves w/ it, Id be much better suited than them, because Im so superior."

maybe Im way off here though, and am reading into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, none of my friends play poker for money. I know a lot of people on here make a ton of money and have poker friends who make a ton and 20K isn't a lot to them. I can appreciate that. My friends make like 40-50K per year. Yeah, I think I am making a moral judgement, and acting self-righteous. I won't deny that, but it is only under the pretext that I'm 'looking out' for my friends. If, in your experience, people acquiring a large sum of money without earning it behave normally, then I totally understand why you would want to bequeath such amounts to your friends.

The only experience I have with people suddenly acquiring huge sums of money is what I've read about lotto winners on the internet.

EDIT: Looking at the graph, 25% of people chose an amount lower than I. Even though your beef is with my underlying philosophy, and not the dollar amount I chose, I just want this on the record.