Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Small pocket pairs vs late position raiser

In general, I know it is correct to just call with pocket pairs generally 22-88 so that we can set mine. However, I think all of this changes against someone who is a late position raiser, that is someone who is positionally aware. We can never assume that we have the odds to hit our set because if the villain is just playing position, we will get his c-bet and thats it more often than not. To account for all the times we get nothing more than a c-bet out of villain, is it fair to say we have to increase the implied odds we are getting? Normally the number is 12-1, to account for various things when we hit a set. But if we are that much less likely to get paid off, then 15-1 sounds more reasonable. Of course the other option is to 3 bet. I know that its probably pretty hard to play 22-88 in a 3 bet pot oop, but consider the alternative. It just feels like calling getting 12-1 on implied odds is not enough in today's games where many more people are utilizing position.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Small pocket pairs vs late position raiser

I think it is ok to mix up 3-betting and calling. If villain is positionally aware, they know you can 3-bet a steal raise lighter, so they can call more easily than Hero in the recent JJ UTG gets 3-bet, now what? thread.

[ QUOTE ]
if the villain is just playing position, we will get his c-bet and thats it more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]
So how horrible is it to float the flop cbet OOP on some non-set flops if villain is going to often give up if you call. Here is a
thread that deals with your situation. The consensus in is that floats OOP are bad, except for CTS, who is one of the best players in the world, so I give more weight to his comments, but also, his post-flop skills are so much better than mine that he can get away with stuff OOP that I'd be foolish to try.

Anyway, I decided to go on a mission today and answer some threads that got no reponses, and I thought this was an interesting post, so bump.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 AM

The poster above me gave some pretty good answers IMO.

I remember reading somewhere recently also from a poster who plays higher that if 3betting small pairs and suited connectors weren't already in your reportaire (spelling) you should add them cause you're gonna need it for 100NL+.

It's standard for me to 3bet small pairs and suited connectors in some spots. You described one. Positionally aware like 18/15 with 26% attempt to steal open raises on CO or button. I'll 3bet my mid and low pairs most of the time and call sometimes....and sometimes I'll then check raise flop UI or whatever. And hell if the attempt to steal number is more like 18 or if they're in MP sometimes I'll just call with like 88/99 specifically and sometimes float OOP.

But anyway yea I don't think in the situation you described you can generally profitably set mine so you need to do other things too. The one that immediately comes to mind, probably the best one, and probably the one most done by people on these boards is to 3bet.

And it's really not that hard to play postflop. If they call your 3bet generally c-bet the flop and generally shutdown if they call or raise that c-bet. Obviously reads ad history can make differences but you know..
Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 AM

You can't just set mine, obviously. Some of these people have extremely wide ranges in LP.

And you can't just start 3betting 22+, especially OOP. 3betting that light is very exploitable.

Fortunately, you don't need to be the PFR in order contest a pot with air.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 AM

just understand, that anytime you cold call a raise, you have to be willing to get frisky on appropraite flops. This should negate the difference in LP range...also 3betting.

Whenever I am OOP and I have a suited connector or pp. Its call or 3bet. If I call...then im making moves alot...I have to make up for the times I c/f.