Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Default question about weight transfer

I went for a golf lesson today, first in about two years. The main thing the instructor wanted me to change was my weight transfer.

I was taught from the last instructor that I should start my swing with most of my weight on the inside of my right foot (I am right handed), then transfer it to the outside of the right foot on the back swing, then as I swing down it all goes to the front.

New guy says weight should be 60% right leg, 40% left leg. In his model my feet dont really tranfser weight but my arms do, and this is counterbalanced by my ass turning the opposite way, so my legs keep the same amount of weight on each foot throughout the swing.

Are these both right? One more so than the other?

On another note, it is really annoying that everytime I go back for a lesson I have to get a different instructor who entirely contradicts the last guy and sets my swing back rather than helping.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: question about weight transfer

I don't like either.
I think the second is better than the first.
I think your weight should go to the inside part of your right foot on the backswing, then the downswing should be initiated by transferring weight to your left foot/side.

That said, there are many ways to get the job done, and finding one method that you believe in and stick with has a lot of value.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 PM

1st method is a big LOL.

2nd is much better in simple terms.

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, it is really annoying that everytime I go back for a lesson I have to get a different instructor who entirely contradicts the last guy and sets my swing back rather than helping.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds very frustrating. Sounds like you haven't yet found a teacher who feels truly confident about his/her abilities.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 PM

There is absolutely weight transfer to the right foot, then back 99% to the front after impact. There's huge variation on what happens in between, though. Don't think in terms of 'inside/outside' of your right foot...fwiw, it's the inside the whole way...there's no balance/power if you put it on the 'outside'. You should just think in terms of 'loading' your swing onto and AROUND your right leg/foot, and then unleashing the stored energy on your downswing/follow through.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 AM

Golf is not a science, and there are A LOT of very bad teachers out there. Find someone who can easily explain and communicate what he wants you to do, and can clearly answer your questions or concerns.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:19 AM

-weight should be felt on the inside of the right foot on the backswing

-make sure your right knee is staying flexed(not stiff, but bent) and not straightening on the way back.

-keep it simple. if you start thinking too much it's all going to go to [censored].
Old 08-12-2007, 02:51 AM

i was playing alright today, but nothing special....playing with a +4 handicap (or something absurd)who is 2 inches shorter, 70 pounds lighter and 3 clubs longer than me, and he said i wasn't transferring my weight at all (which is a common problem of mine) which i have basically just ignored because it usually just screws with my game.....and all he said was "get your left knee behind the ball" and suddenly i hit a 234 yard 5 wood on a par 3 and drove the ball right next to the green from 320....

don't know if this helps, but a lot of stuff i read and hear are just way to difficult for me to internalize and actually implement into my swing and simple keys like this mean the world to a golf swing.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st method is a big LOL.

2nd is much better in simple terms.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds very frustrating. Sounds like you haven't yet found a teacher who feels truly confident about his/her abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Years ago a friend of mine had a couple lessons from a Michigan PGA pro. Scott was a 15 handicap who hit the ball a long way. They discussed grip pressure and the position of his wrist bones through the shot, etc. etc. Scott wound up hitting these mammoth hooks and was really frustrated with his game.

A few weeks later the pro played in the Michigan PGA Championship and shot 98 in the first round! LOLOL. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

We still laugh about this today.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:59 PM

I think the first method sounds downright terrible and I think you'll have a very hard time getting consistent contact using this method.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Take a baseball stride to get a feel for it