Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

This is a really exciting idea and I definitely would love the opportunity be involved. Here is a little bit about myself:

1. How you are currently improving your game?

Right now, I have been limiting myself to four tabling at nl400 in my desire to improve my game. I have been working on loosening up my opening ranges and getting more aggressive postflop, by taking each hand as it comes and getting second opinions when in doubt or faced with a new situation. I do this either through AIM or by posting or reading in the strategy forums. I am active in absorbing all that I can from the strategy forums, cardrunners, and other player's opinions.

2. Your Poker Goals

The concrete goal I am working towards right now is to become a winning player at 5/10 by the beginning of next April. A previous goal of mine was to become successful enough with poker to be able to rely on it solely for income. I am on pace to accomplish this by the end of the year. Further goals of mine include continuing to challenge myself with new stakes and goals as I progress.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

As of the beginning of this month I am playing nl400. I have played poker as a second source of income for the last year and have made 56k in that time, starting from NL25 last fall.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

Looking back through some of my most recent posts, I think you can find me making some decent contributions with both of these posts in the last few days and plenty more if you look back throughout the year: post 1 post 2

5. A little about yourself.

I am 22 and have taken what looks like it will be a permanent leave from the University. I have a good part time job right now that is easy and pays well that I plan on quitting sometime in the next four months due to my interest and success relating to poker. I like to go out and have fun on the weekends and I feel like I'm very motivated to put in time and effort with poker. Well I think that about sums up most of what I wanted to say.

Edit: To add, I have played an estimated 600 hours (around 40k hands/month) of poker in the last 5 months and made in the area of 32k.

Cheers.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Oh man this is a Sick idea, It is EXACTLY what I need to improve my game!

I started playing just over 15months ago and had built up from micro limits to 5/10, but didn’t really last long at 5/10. That is when I realised my nitty playing style needed to be changed.
I have read several books and read articles everyday after a session. And also am a long time lurker in this wonderful forum!

Ok so 1: How you are currently improving your game?

I am actively getting coaching by “billyjex” to help me relearn the game, and start thinking outside raising the nuts only, I am also on bobos waiting list for his training programme… To take myself back to basics I have started to coach a friend from uni (and stake him) in microstakes (where I feel being a nit is profitable) and whatever I learn through coaching I will help him learn too.

I have started to analyse my opponents play after sessions and make detailed notes on how they play and possible lines to counteract it (only recently against a few regulars, I should have done this a long time ago). I am finding my second barrels are working a lot more against the right people etc etc..

Nb also a member of CR and x factor

2: My poker Goals:

I initially started poker for the “thrill” as im sure most people do. But soon discovered its potential. My first aim of poker was to pay for my studies (I am a Med student in UK) which it has.

Now I plan to slowly build up my life broll (separate from poker broll) and start putting $$ into investments and property that I will be able to live off “healthily” in the next 5-15 years. (an play poker on side too obv)

This also give me a lot of motivation to play my best poker possible and move up through the ranks as quickly as possible too!

So my plan in poker is to:

1: move up as soon as possible and learn as quikly as I can.
2: Use poker monies wisly and set up alternative forms of income.
3: ideally I would like to be able to play 25/50 comfortably (we can all dream [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

3: Your current stakes and past earnings

I play at NL 400 on I poker, lifetime earning around 200k (inc rakeback and a few donkament wins although I don’t like playing them as much) at 3bb/100. Best month is 30k worst month is +3k (it was a damn swongy month).

Last 5 month I have playd around 30 hrs PW (maybe more..) and won ~ 40k

4: few examples of good strategy posts you have made

This is my weakpoint, I don’t have many/ if any strategy posts. That is mainly due to me not being confident enough to post something and have it taken apart by the gazillions of better players on 2+2.

But this is something I will defiantly rectify in the future as my play becomes better and I feel more confident.

I hope this you can overlook this weakness in my case as I am REALLY motivated to be part of this!

5: a little about myself:

I am 22 year student from UK, been playing poker for little over a year. I have basically had to learn everything about poker on my own as I don’t have many other friends that play poker seriously and talk strategy with (a HUGE learning tool if u have it). .

Although I don’t know much about websites and videos, I do have a friend with an internet business who will help out if needed.

Wow that post turned out a long… sorry for the rant but I am really motivated to get involved in this.. !
Old 11-19-2007, 02:57 PM

You will mentor me, or I will kill this kitten.

No seriously please mentor me, winning player since '04 but still cant break through to the next level.

Mostly a cash player, but I've gone deep or scored in nlhe/horse/27triple draw/5 card draw MTTS. I have good fundamentals and poker understanding, but I'm still stuck playing low limits where everyone thinks the right way to play their top pair is to c/c the flop and c/r the turn, and I just cant stop firing apparently.

1. How you are currently improving your game
reading ssnl archives.
trying to think other peoples lines through while playing instead of my old habit of just deciding if i had the best hand and acting on that, or if i could get them to fold.
reading plo forum.
moving money away from stars and bodog [well to improve results, not game].
testing my previous theories of flop textures and when to fire/slow down, picked up a few things here by watching a good player.
trying to increase my turn/river aggression stats, getting easier with the above ^
trying to 3bet more pf, its hard to loosen my range there, but the villain giving me a lot more respect on the flop is nice.

2. Your poker goals.
Can't lie, more money is the goal.
I'd really love to improve on my NL headsup game.
Once I have a game I feel I can beat consistently I intend to set goals based on hand #'s a week, gradually increasing them every week or 2. I seem to have done worse in the past when I set monetary goals, so I'd rather set hand #s or fpps or something a little more arbitrary. However, I still have the goal of cashing 15k by March, and 50k total for next year.

<100nl now, some <5/10 limit hu, <50plo. small winner all 3.
~7k mtt earnings (out of ~150mtt, <15-20 buyins over $20)
~6k cash earnings

4. Sorry dont have any quality strategy posts, I thought I could figure out and dominate poker by myself until a few months ago. I am a thinking player and am pretty capable at hand analysis.

5. winning aggressive player [with leaks] needs help!
In my former life I was a php coder and web developer, I'm good with php/c/perl/mysql and also done a good amount of video editing w/ video vegas (produced a 15min frag movie [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

I play 20-30 hours a week currently but if was winning would and not constantly underrolled it would be a lot more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], winnings in the last 5mos are @ ~2000
Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 PM

1. I read a lot of strategy posts. I watch cardrunners videos. I think a lot about my key hands I played after my sessions.

2. I would like to move up to middle stakes and estabilish some nice winrate.

3. I am slow at moving up. The whole year I have been playing at 200NL. I earned 52k this year and 121k lifetime.

4. I am not a good strategy poster so I usually don't do it. I read a lot and post my hands often. I probably should contribute in other's threads more often...

5. I am from Hungary and 36 years old. I have a wife and a 3 year old son. I have been a full time grinder since last june. I play tennis.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM

How am I currently improving my game?

I´m playing 200nl at the moment but just moved up very recently. To be honest I haven´t been improving my game as much as i would have liked as I have been trying to put in a lot of hands to move up get experince.
I have already asked orange about coaching me but it hasn´t been possible so far as I only got a headset with a mic today but I´m going to try to schedule at least 5 sessions with him in the upcoming weeks to fix leaks and stuff.

I´ve also been analyzing hands i have problems with on pokertracker and been trying to find leaks myself.

My poker goals:

I´m planning to be able to play 3/6 or 5/10 by the time I´m finished with high school. (August this year) I know that this is a very ambitious goal but I´m posistive that I can do it.

My poker story:

I started playing siriously in august started at 10nl played a lot, cleared the ftp depositbonus. Then i moved up to 25nl and within onother week to 50nl. I played a lot of 50nl then struggled when trying to move up to 100nl. Then after my 3rd shot ran really hot, made 10bi in one session and decided to cash out 2k leaving only a 50nl roll in my account. then I started grinding again and moved up to 100nl pretty easily and have been taking a lot of shots 200nl. I ran pretty horribly in the beginning but am now beating 200nl. only over a small saplesize though. Can´t really tell at what rate im beating it though b/c my pokertracker is somehow messed up and only racords half of the hh...

I have won ybout 6-7k playing unl and ssnl in the last 3 months running at a guesstimated 3ptbb/100. Not sure about this though at all might be higher most defenitely not lower.

a little about myself:

I´m 18 years old, from munich,germany, and am currently still at school and thus have a lot of time for playing poker. I started playing poker about a year ago but only became sirious last summer holliday.
I´m hoping to gain a lot from this because i don´t really have a lot of people at the moment to talk strategy with except from posting on 2p2.

Good posts:

I don´t have any posts like the one you used as an example as I have never written a pooh bah post or a pokey post. I have been pasting commenting on a lot of hands of other players though.

K that´s it i guess... thanks for this opportunity I hope I gettig in as I´d really like and give my best to help others and improve my game.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM

1. How you are currently improving your game

Currently I am watching alot of cardrunners videos and playing alot. Also read and post as many interesting threads I can find in SSNL forum. After every session I go through all the big losing and winning hands and hands I feel are not totally standard (resqueezes/tough folds/bad calls) and think them through. Im also sweating and discussing hands with a friend of mine which plays 50NL and wants to move up to 100/200NL asap. I also took 1 lesson from a Cardrunners coach but there were some problems with the way he acted/treated me so that was it. It did show me the positive effect of someone watching you play and critize it and am currently looking for a better coach.

2. Your poker goals.

Poker goals is easy, get as best as I can and thus making as much money as possible. Also being a good allround player, I also think my Omaha and tournament games are solid, but no way close to my NLHE 6 max game.

I currently play 200NLHE as my main game, trying to move up to 400NL.

Same as everyone I think, nothing really outstanding, just your standard hands discussion/posts in SSNL. There is so much new stuff everyday on every poker site, so I spend more of time reading and studying than post myself.

5. A little about yourself

I am 19 years old and have been playing since february this year. I am a student on the University of Amsterdam in the netherlands. Hobbies are my girlfriend, partying it up, games (especially poker) and fine food.

Not much here that differs me from the other posters I guess, but in some way we are all the same [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM

1. I've always been a STT player, but after getting tired of seeing good regs at the $6 level, I decided it was time to switch to cash. So I've been reading a lot on 2+2 trying to familiarize myself with 6-max. That said, I realize that the best way to familiarize myself with the game is to play, so I'm trying to set aside time each week for me to "work" and put in reasonable sessions and to think and talk about hands.

2. I'd like to be able to grind NL200 and NL400 6-max, ideally becoming one of the best at those limits once I get some experience. I'm also currently living in London and there are some super soft live games that I'd like to become rolled for.

3. I play NL100 HU on Full Tilt and NL25 and NL50 6-max on Party. I'm up ~$25k lifetime, though probably <$2k has been from cash, with $12k coming from a WPT cash when I was 18(the stars aligned).

4. I just went through my posting history, and most of my strategy posts are in the STT forum where more than one line of strategy is usually unnecessary. I mostly read small stakes but post in STT; working on it as you can see from my recent posts. I think most of my posts in SMP are good though!

5. I'm 20 and an econ major/theology minor at Georgetown University. I'm currently in London for my junior year abroad at the London School of Economics. I spent the summer in Thailand trying to get away from poker, but I've realized that the problem was my attitude and approach toward poker rather than the game itself. Having help from someone who has grinded pretty big games for 4 years will be huge, not just in terms of helping me develop a good 6-max skill set, but also in gaining confidence and learning how to sit down, play a lot (32 hours/week!), and always play my best.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Ok, I'm your huckleberry.

I'll start with a bit about my situation. Inadvertently, about four years ago, I became a "pro" poker player when I was no longer able to work for medical reasons and became housebound. I had previously been in precision industrial carpentry for 12 years or so. I was GOOD at it, and very well paid.

The first year was a learning process, but I became a moderate, consistent, winner at the micros. The next 1 1/2 years were good. I was able to grind 1/2 nl for about 5 ptbb/100, and had several decent tourney cashes. I easily kept up with the bills and medical expenses, and even had spare change enough to buy myself a couple bimmers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Enter the last year and a half. I had been playing in increasing pain, and ever increasing doses of pain killers, and my winrate reflected this. I was playing shorter and shorter sessions, and playing them worse and worse, my judgment and confidence shot. Soon I was only bankrolled for busto stakes and very seldom playing.

Recently (couple months ago) I had an operation that has drastically reduced my pain, to the point I no longer use painkiller at all anymore. I have been trying to rebuild my roll and my confidence, even working up to recent shots at 2/4 nl (that variance decided I shouldn't have taken [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

That's my poker history in a nutshell.

As for strat posts, I've not been too active in the last few years, but my first 1500 or so posts were almost exclusively strat.

I have been able to coach my gf to be a winning player (her br is MUCH bigger than mine currently), and think I am a decent teacher and good at concisely conveying my ideas, as well as being open minded to new concepts.

Like I said:

I'm your huckleberry.

Edited to add graph:

The last downswings are my shots at 2/4.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 PM

1. Consider myself a decent 6-max player, trying HU to help improve my game in marginal spots and 3-bet pots. Also I'll occasionally watch CR vids, read/post in strategy etc. I talk to a couple 2p2ers on AIM about hands who I consider to be better players than I am. Booked some sessions with a respected coach for this winter.

2. The immediate goal I've set for myself is to run at 6ptBB/100 at Stars nl 1/2 for 50k hands, then move up to 2/4. Beyond that, I don't have any long term goals to be able to beat 5/10 or anything -- I'd like to be able to do 5 figure months regularly without putting in a copious number of hands.

3. Current steaks are .5/1 and 1/2 6-max. I was exlusively 1/2 for the past 2 months but I had a bad downswing coupled with a cashout recently so I've been playing a lot of .5/1 to rebuild. Since starting .5/1 nl in about May of this year (converted from minbet) I've made about $40k, averaging 20hrs/week and running at about 4ptBB/100 over a lot of hands (nl100-nl400).

4. I occasionally get the urge to post a lot of strat posts, but mostly I just ready others and post in BBV. If you search my name in small stakes no limit you'll find some posts that I'm not ashamed of.

5. Got my BA in Bio/Chem in May of '04, not sure what I wanted to do for grad school so I've since worked at the National Cancer Institute doing research. I feel like I've accomplished a lot at this job, and I've had several publications in my time here. I've decided to go to business school however, got a good score on my GMATS and I'm now applying to schools for next fall. I'm leaving my NCI job at the end of this year to travel/play poker full time until I start biz school in the fall.

Also I have plenty of comp skills -- no problem using skype, doing stuff with web videos, etc.

Do I have potential?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Apply in this thread with
1. How you are currently improving your game?

Replying to this post. I've been looking for a mentor/coach forever. My signal to noise ratio sucks hardcore as I'm one of the old school BBV crew who just never got good enough at poker to move up in limits.
2. Your poker goals.
My goal is to get back to full-time poker as I'm playing part time with a part time sales job in the mornings. I went busto! twice now in 3 years and I need a little edge to get over the hill. The limits I play really dont matter so long as I feel I'm playing the game well. I tilt like a bastard and it's the worst part of my game. I could be a 10/20 regular without savage monkey tilt.

25NL Recently busted my last roll I built off of $135 that took me 6 months to grind to $3200 and a day to tilt off to 0.00. In the past I was a huge bonus whorer and basically paid the bills doing that for 2 years. I've played as small as .01/.02NL and as high as 25/50NL
None. I could take a picture of my bookshelf that contains every good poker book known to man, but why bother? I know my game isn't up to snuff, so how can I justify handing out bad advice to others?
5. A little about yourself.
I'm 32 and live in Vegas, so I do get out to play live alot. UNLV grad, I've replied to stuff like this before, but they always wanted to stake and I just wanted the coaching. PM me if interested.
Closed Thread