Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Bankroll for full time play

[ QUOTE ]
I find that 8 is the most that I can do without going nuts. I think that you should start 4 tabling and then as you get more comfortable, add another table and see how that goes. Though, I find that I do autopilot sometimes and this may heart my winrate, but since I'm seeing more hands per hour, my bottom line is higher.

Also, if you're able to play all the European sites, I think that you can probably do a bunch of good table selection and just look for spots where you can take money off fish. I think that at first you should just make a conscious effort to stay out of marginal spots against regulars and just look to capitalize with situations against the fish. Then as you get more comfortable with the amount of tables that you have, you can start playing back against the regulars. Plus if the regulars are also on a lot of the tables that you're playing, it's not as hard to adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heart my winrate too
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

i've been playing full-time for close to two years, first sng's and now cash. fwiw, this year i've averaged 525 hands / hour, usually 6 tabling, at 23 hours/week for about 50k hands / month. if i were you i'd be focusing on learning to play more tables right now, not moving up. i'm a huge table selection nit but sometimes you have to suck it up and play a so-so table.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Don't set your goal in terms of hands.

Set your goal in terms of hours. During those hours play how every many tables you think maximizes your hourly while not prematurely inducing burnout.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well I normally don't play more than 4 tables at a time, and I'm also reasonably choosy about which tables I play, so in between waiting for a seat in a juicy table and quitting a table when it has no fish or maniacs left my mt ratio would struggle to be above 2.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find I am in the same situation OP. I've considered myself a full-time pro for all of '07 and haven't hit 30k hands a month once for the same reasons. I'm not comfortable playing more than 4 tables yet, and because I'm also conscientious about table selection, I'm not even 4-tabling for the majority of a session.

Also, since playing midstakes I am more conscious of ending bad sesssions earlier to prevent tilt, and sometimes need to give myself 1-2 days to mentally recover from a bad session, so this leads to playing less hands overall as well.

Perhaps we just have to say the hell with it and add more tables, being less fussy about finding good ones, and see how it goes. However, my reasoning so far has been that adding an extra 4 random tables and being in more of an 'autopilot' mode overall because of it would be less profitable for me than selecting the 4 best tables and focussing on those. But perhaps the sheer number of extra hands you churn out means that's not the case?

I'm with OP in admiring those who can 8-12 table consistently and profitably but I don't think you ought to feel bad about playing only 20-30k hands a month when it is successful for you.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't set your goal in terms of hands.

Set your goal in terms of hours. During those hours play how every many tables you think maximizes your hourly while not prematurely inducing burnout.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i've been playing full-time for close to two years, first sng's and now cash. fwiw, this year i've averaged 525 hands / hour, usually 6 tabling, at 23 hours/week for about 50k hands / month. if i were you i'd be focusing on learning to play more tables right now, not moving up. i'm a huge table selection nit but sometimes you have to suck it up and play a so-so table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'll take these two pieces of advice on board. I think I'll set a target of a minimum of 40 hours a week. I'll probably play more sngs instead of cash as I would feel more confident that I can play more than 4 tables without my game deteriorating significantly. perhaps when I get used to playing 7 or 8 sng tables I might find it easier to do likewise in cash.

Meanwhile thanks everyone for all the advice. don't suppose anyone has worked out that RorU formula [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that 8 is the most that I can do without going nuts. I think that you should start 4 tabling and then as you get more comfortable, add another table and see how that goes. Though, I find that I do autopilot sometimes and this may heart my winrate, but since I'm seeing more hands per hour, my bottom line is higher.

Also, if you're able to play all the European sites, I think that you can probably do a bunch of good table selection and just look for spots where you can take money off fish. I think that at first you should just make a conscious effort to stay out of marginal spots against regulars and just look to capitalize with situations against the fish. Then as you get more comfortable with the amount of tables that you have, you can start playing back against the regulars. Plus if the regulars are also on a lot of the tables that you're playing, it's not as hard to adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heart my winrate too

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i meant hurt. But obv i heart my winrate as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 AM

For anyone who's interested in the Risk of Ruin with Uncertain Win Rates formula I've got a further explanation of the RoRU formula plus an example from Jerrod 'Some Dude' Ankenman the co-writer of MOP in one of the threads about his book. N.B. There is a little error in his example, which I corrected [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Here's the thread http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12809440
Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be bluntly honest, whatever answers I was going to get here I would have played at a minimum $2-$4 NL or PLO. so that means a little over 50 buy-ins for me at present, plus some savings as backup. I do think it's essential now that I put in plenty of hands a week.

A poster earlier derided my suggestion of playing about 6300 hands a week as not enough for a full-time online pro. I didn't think it was that bad but taking on board his criticism I'd be real interested to hear what people would think would be a realistic amount of hands to be playing a week, i.e. I don't intend to be playing poker every hour of the day - I've got a life too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but at the same time I realise I need to put the hours in like any job, so what is a reasonable amount of hands to play a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

The suggestions of having 6 months living expenses set aside are the best things mentioned here of course. Other than that, the main thing you need to be working on for your game is getting better at multitabling. I'd recommend spending at least an hour each day that you work playing about 6 tables at much lower stakes (maybe .25/.50nl) until this becomes natural to you at your own stakes (do this in addition to the 35 hours a week you planned on, until you actually start playing more tables in your normal stakes). Once you're playing more tables for most of your working hours you'll probably want to cut down on your playing hours slightly since you'll find it a little more taxing.

BTW, amongst us full ring players it's not unheard of to play 150K+ hands in a month (MT ratio around 11+, it's much easier to do this playing full ring).
Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Other than that, the main thing you need to be working on for your game is getting better at multitabling. I'd recommend spending at least an hour each day that you work playing about 6 tables at much lower stakes (maybe .25/.50nl) until this becomes natural to you at your own stakes (do this in addition to the 35 hours a week you planned on, until you actually start playing more tables in your normal stakes).

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a very good plan. Cheers.