Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:26 AM

Default being a \"nit\"/\"tag\"

whats wrong with being a "nit"?....and also, what stats would u apply to nits, and at what point stats wise are you a lag?

this is per 2/4nl 6max.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: being a \"nit\"/\"tag\"

nit: 18/14 and below
tag: 23/18-19/15
lag: 24/19+

roughly....IMO
Old 11-09-2007, 05:55 AM

People throw around the term nit so loosely. To me a nit is someone who is scared of putting their money on the line without what they consider a lock. You will never see them making a thin calldown unless its tilt, and they will be scared of overcards and flushes arriving even if basic hand reading makes those hands very unlikely. Nits will never straddle, never flip for the hell of it, will be the guy in the live game who wastes 15 minutes arguing to get his sb back when he thinks he was forced to post it twice.

It has little to do with how often a player jams with marginal type overpairs, draws etc. Thats more of a measure of passivity/aggression.

And little to do with how big a laydown a player is willing to make if they believe there is a good reason to.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:55 AM

There is nothing wrong with being a nit, it is just that people make their money in different ways in this game. Nits often play 8+ tables and play very straightforward, grinding on the fish who don't know the fundamentals. Such a nit will not be able to play profitably against all players at the table.

Looser players often play fewer tables and deviate more from the straightforward/tight style because they have better reads and often better postflop skills. They can make better decisions so they can play more hands. These players are able to play profitably against the whole table (assuming there isn't a better player around and the nits don't adjust well), and they are backing more marginal but +EV bets, so they are able to achieve higher winrates.

I'd say a nit is VPIP below 16 is pretty nitty in todays loose games. But of course, there is no absolute number for a nit. LAG 22+/20+ maybe.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People throw around the term nit so loosely. To me a nit is someone who is scared of putting their money on the line without what they consider a lock. You will never see them making a thin calldown unless its tilt, and they will be scared of overcards and flushes arriving even if basic hand reading makes those hands very unlikely. Nits will never straddle, never flip for the hell of it, will be the guy in the live game who wastes 15 minutes arguing to get his sb back when he thinks he was forced to post it twice.

It has little to do with how often a player jams with marginal type overpairs, draws etc. Thats more of a measure of passivity/aggression.

And little to do with how big a laydown a player is willing to make if they believe there is a good reason to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put as far as the term "nit" being thrown around so loosely that it has lost it's meaning.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with being a nit, it is just that people make their money in different ways in this game. Nits often play 8+ tables and play very straightforward, grinding on the fish who don't know the fundamentals. Such a nit will not be able to play profitably against all players at the table.

Looser players often play fewer tables and deviate more from the straightforward/tight style because they have better reads and often better postflop skills. They can make better decisions so they can play more hands. These players are able to play profitably against the whole table (assuming there isn't a better player around and the nits don't adjust well), and they are backing more marginal but +EV bets, so they are able to achieve higher winrates.

I'd say a nit is VPIP below 16 is pretty nitty in todays loose games. But of course, there is no absolute number for a nit. LAG 22+/20+ maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've certainly been having an internal debate about this. Basically, I know I can 6-8 table straightforward and only go for fish etc. And sometimes I'm feeling this is the optimal strat for making money. I take it as far as if the fish busts I immed. sit out even though the regs are still there....they arnt nesc. good regs either, but I just figure, why mess around with them, 3bettng/floating/guessing...when I can just hunt for the easy money......well one reason is some of these regs with their "moves" and tricks are highly exploitable and after watching them for awhile they really arnt that great either.....its just more thinking/ more concentration and added variance.......bottom line though if you wanna get to 5/10 + I would think you have to start tangling more.....ok i rambled, its late
Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 AM

nits are downies
Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 AM

I'm a nit, but I think it's wrong to suggest that I can't be positive against other regulars. I do have a HUD yknow. I switch my game up vs 2+2 types, threebetting them more often and doing stuff like fourbetting them light and bluff checkraising flops and whatnot. I probably miss some thin value bets against them because I don't bluff enough, but they don't get thin value off me either because I'm a nit and don't play hands OOP vs them much. The main way I lose money is simply through playing less hands, but I can probs play more tables. I think people would be surprised at what some of us nits are making, my earn rate is pretty decent.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a nit, but I think it's wrong to suggest that I can't be positive against other regulars. I do have a HUD yknow. I switch my game up vs 2+2 types, threebetting them more often and doing stuff like fourbetting them light and bluff checkraising flops and whatnot. I probably miss some thin value bets against them because I don't bluff enough, but they don't get thin value off me either because I'm a nit and don't play hands OOP vs them much. The main way I lose money is simply through playing less hands, but I can probs play more tables. I think people would be surprised at what some of us nits are making, my earn rate is pretty decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

think this sums it up pretty well. i'm probably a nit as far as stats go - around 19/16 or so but thats mostly against all the fish, of which there are so many at 2/4.

if you took just my stats against other players who i know are 2+2 they would definitly start to rise due to 3betting/floating/calling in pos more etc
Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nit