Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Default WPX 2/4: KK turn...is a check OK here?

WPX 2/4, ten handed. Villain seems to defend his big blind fairly loosely. He seems to play pretty straightforwardly.

Hero is UTG with KsKh. Hero raises, folds to SB, who calls. BB calls.

Flop: Pot is 6 SB.
Ah8h3s

Checked to Hero, who bets. SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: Pot is 4BB
9h

BB checks, Hero...

If a heart doesn't fall on the turn, I was planning on bet/folding the turn, then maybe checking down the river if BB calls. But with the nut flush draw, I sort of like checking here...what do you guys think?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: WPX 2/4: KK turn...is a check OK here?

I still b/c with the possible best hand. I think it is for value, since you aren't folding an Ace, but charging smaller pairs and lower flush draws. Getting c/r here sucks, but your redraw, IMO, makes me less scared of that. Check behind river UI.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM

Tough to say based on the read you gave. Betting the turn after the flush draw hits might get him to lay down a weak ace, and it might get a call out of a worse pair with a weaker hearts draw. On the other hand, checking through could induce a bluff on the river from a worse hand, or could result in a bet/call when you make your flush or set on the river.

All told, though, I think the check through is a better option here simply because you describe your opponent as pretty straightforward, and you cannot fold to a turn c/r. And with the small pot size, you're probably better off folding to a river bet UI.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM

You are probably right. If you bet, he will probably fold if he doesn't have ace and raise if he has. Checking may induce the bluff river bet from him. And even if he checks the river he may still call your bet if he has any part of the board.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:07 PM

I'd bet this if he's a fish and check if he's aggro.

JT
Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet this if he's a fish and check if he's aggro.

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is right. He was more passive than aggressive, so I probably should have bet here. I'm only getting C/R here if he has 2 pair or better, so I can safely fold to a river bet unimproved. And I'm not getting CR all that often here, I think. And again, since he's passive, he's not going to bluff the river, so if I call the river I'm just going to be paying off his ace.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 PM

Even though you might have the best hand here, there's no real danger in a free card.

Check behind and spike your [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then raise his donkbet.

If you miss and get checked to again, check behind.

If you miss and get donkbet, fold (as you said he was pretty straightforward, so will likely not be betting anything you beat).
Old 08-18-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And again, since he's passive, he's not going to bluff the river, so if I call the river I'm just going to be paying off his ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree. by checking behind on the turn you tell him you don't have an ace. He may bet 8 or 9 on the river. Call if he bets, bet if he checks.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:43 PM

* clueless noob trying to figure out this game *

I'd bet (he doesn't have Ax, he woulda bet to protect them on flop?) and call a raise (getting 7:1 on hitting my flush). On river I'd bet for value if he checked (still thinking my Ks are good) and call a raise (getting 9:1). Is this noob spewage?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And again, since he's passive, he's not going to bluff the river, so if I call the river I'm just going to be paying off his ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree. by checking behind on the turn you tell him you don't have an ace. He may bet 8 or 9 on the river. Call if he bets, bet if he checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you check behind on the turn, call a river bet. Folding is silly since its likely your turn check induced the river bet.