Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Default $5NLTRN: Could use some help here

Hello all. I am a little new to Heads Up play. I typically play 6max NL but wanted to try something new. I think that I have major leaks in my HU game but that if I could get better at it, my overall poker would improve, so I am determined. Please feel free to take off the gloves if you need to.

This is an entire Tournament. It is only four hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Button calls t10, Hero checks.

Flop: (t40) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t40) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: t40

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins t40. </font>

So far so good. I will take chips on turn if villain shows no interest.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1480)
Hero (t1520)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Final Pot: t30

Button (t1490)
Hero (t1510)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button calls t10, Hero checks.

Flop: (t40) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t40) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t90.

River: (t280) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t380</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t280

Button doesn't show.
Outcome: Button wins t280. </font>

OK villain did not like my first hand play and might be bluffing (or semi bluffing) but it is early so I can let this go.

BB (t1630)
Hero (t1370)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t220</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, BB calls t380.

Turn: (t1400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t640</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t930</font>, Hero calls t30 (All-In).

River: (t3000) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2740

BB has Ad Jh (one pair, aces).
Hero has 7s As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: BB wins t3000. </font>

I am thinking I am ahead of some Aces (not many) plus all king hands. The donk bet made me nuts because usually I don't read this as a strong hand. Usually in cash games it screams weakness. So I shoved. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: $5NLTRN: Could use some help here

Did you fold queen 2 spades from the small blind preflop?

I'd be way more comfortable shoving with the queen 2 offsuit (probably getting it all in on the turn) than the a7. I'd be betting the flop there, why give him an extra card? If he's holding a king (more likely than an ace, based on a lack of preflop betting) you let him possibly get there. I might expect a 9 from the villain in the Q2 hand, and you let him get trips.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 AM

Yes, I folded Q2s in the second hand.

3rd hand I felt like I had the best hand when I bet the turn. In retrospect, calling the raise might have been a mistake because it meant having to call a river bet as well. I was planning on calling down but the river card was a bad one so I folded instead.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I folded Q2s in the second hand.

3rd hand I felt like I had the best hand when I bet the turn. In retrospect, calling the raise might have been a mistake because it meant having to call a river bet as well. I was planning on calling down but the river card was a bad one so I folded instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably raise the Q2 suited from the small blind. You have position and it's not a terrible hand HU.

I wouldn't want to call down with hand three. I'd want to bet the flop and then bet the turn. If I get raised on the turn, I'd consider shoving. If he had the 9, he gets off here. 96 or the Ace stacks you, but that's a lot less risky than getting it all in with a weak ace when your opponent reraised you preflop. I don't hate the a7 hand, but the Q2 unsuited hand, you probably could've taken it down on the flop if not then on the turn.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM

I really think you overplayed the last hand. He 3bet you pf, he very likely isn't doing that with worse aces. Without a read, you can't assume he is a total calling station. No way the average villain at the $55s is calling you down with KQ here. Plus he did overbet the pot on the flop, another sing of strengt.
I'd only call the flop, very likely call the turn again as long as he isn't overbetting it again and consider folding the river.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you overplayed the last hand. He 3bet you pf, he very likely isn't doing that with worse aces. Without a read, you can't assume he is a total calling station. No way the average villain at the $55s is calling you down with KQ here. Plus he did overbet the pot on the flop, another sing of strengt.
I'd only call the flop, very likely call the turn again as long as he isn't overbetting it again and consider folding the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think overbetting the pot on an AK hi board is a clear sign of strength but I do agree with the rest of what you say.

You have to call pf because of the wonderful odds you are getting but after the flop you have not much more than a bluffcatcher.
Call the flop and hope he slows down. If checked behind on the turn and checked to OTR make a small vbet.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 AM

hand#1 - I usually raise a limper out of the big blind here . Your hand is strong enough to accomplish this since it's very likely I would have called a pre-flop button raise anyway .

hand#2 - I'm probably raising this hand otb since you have position with a hand that is close to random .

hand#3 - The only part I disagree with is betting the turn . Most likely I check behind and see how he plays otr . At this point it really is a matter of whose kicker is better .
Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Shoving the turn on the Q2o hand is suicide.

Otherwise, I agree with jay_shark ftmp. I check behind preflop with Q9 on the first hand.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 PM

You can play Q2s on button. If it was offsuited I might think about folding depending what kind of opponent I had.

Fold Q2 on turn. It's just too weak of a hand to do bluff catching without solid reads. The opponent might think you bluffed on the first hand and may now be raising you a bit looser but thats kinda rare.

Use your A7 hand as a bluff catcher. Just call down if he keeps betting and bet if he checks.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Take more initiative on the flop. Waiting until the turn to bet is easily and accidentally exploited at this level.