Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Staking/Make-up question: What to do with lower prize-pools?

Working off your make-up is as good as earning cash, if this arrangement is for the long term.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM

am i the only one who thinks this is lewis carroll "through the looking glass" stuff ?

you have an agreement with a backer where you have significant make-up to attend to before you see cash. you state you want to play these lower prelims (he's not forcing you to play them), but you want the make-up not to apply to them ??? wtf ???

i'm not a very good player, but i did run my own small corporation for 29 years, so i know a little something about partnerships and employer/employee relations.

your backer assumes all the risk. you put up your time and expertise for a piece of the net. implicit in this deal is your backer has the reasonable expectation you will play your "best" game every time you sit down with his money riding. unless you have an agreement to the contrary, and he allows you to play on the side for your own money, he's in and you are morally obligated to play your very best.

for you to say you wouldn't play your best and rather gambool it up or it wasn't worth your time if you weren't participating in the cash profits of that smaller tourney would be a firing offense if i were your backer.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 PM

+1 to bob
Old 10-19-2007, 06:25 PM

The good solution is to work your makeup off, I mean if youre stuck 20k and you cash for 15k, now youre only stuck 5k, I don't see how this isn't a good thing. I had a guy stuck over 30k the day he won the $10r for 10k, it all helps even if you don't get any of it in your pocket. I would hate for any of my players to take this stance when stuck deep in makeup.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:37 PM

it's just part of being backed. the only way to get out of makeup is to keep playing
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Yeah if you have to play only to get profit out of a win you shouldn't be playing tournaments. I was in an enourmous amount of makeup, won the stuper, stil had an enormous amount of makeup. Yes, it is demoralizing, but I don't play for fun. I play for a living which constitutes me doing whatever is most profitable. Now, if you just play as a hobby, then I'd only play what you had fun playing. Me, I play for a living so I have to play whatever I'm +EV in to pay the bills. If you can't play knowing it's all going towards you eventually winning money then you shouldn't play tournaments backed.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
+1 to bob

[/ QUOTE ]
+2 Bobarino
Old 10-19-2007, 08:49 PM

Meh sorry I brought it up, but does anyone else not just think it's bad from a psychological stand-point making you play less than your best game?

I obviously understand I have to get out of make-up, and in the end cashing in a smaller event IS the same, yes, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Tournament poker/variance is pretty tough to learn how to handle to begin with, much less in a situation where you don't stand to gain any immediate benefit even if you do overcome the odds to outlast everyone.

There was a thread on here a while back about paying out a small % of every cash, and this was brought up for the same essential reason.

And yes this is also partially because I see these and think to myself that I could play more in EV online in a day, so maybe they aren't worth my time at all to begin with.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 PM

I understand your point as well, but I think playing any different is just foolish. Again, I refer to sports - players play their toughest when it counts and they still play hard no matter what, they don't come to a game saying 'Meh, maybe I'll just not try today' and I think you have to have the same mentality. Personally, when I play live, I'm there to play live - everything else gets erased and I'm here to play poker, I don't even think about the money I think about beating and winning, even though that may sound corny or whatever you'd like to call it.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 PM

you can negotiate with your backer to get a small % of your winnings if you want, just compensate him elsewhere in the deal for it. This should bea conversation between you and your backer; tell him your concerns, work somethign out.. or you could just work it off like normal.