Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Default 2 basic betting Q\'s (B&M style and rerasing)

1)Should your bets be smaller in a B&M game? I do 1/3-1 pot size online, yet live (1/3 NL) I usually bet post flop $6,$8,$10,$20 (depending on if I raised pre and general pot size) But if it was online, I'd be betting much more.

2)How much do you raise a raiser? I feel it should be 2.5-4 times what they bet, is there a better way?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: 2 basic betting Q\'s (B&M style and rerasing)

B&M games in general tend to play a lot looser than online games, so bets and raises tend to get less respect, and you should bet bigger amounts to be as effective as your online bet sizing.

I would experiment with different bet sizes to see how the players react.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1)Should your bets be smaller in a B&M game? I do 1/3-1 pot size online, yet live (1/3 NL) I usually bet post flop $6,$8,$10,$20 (depending on if I raised pre and general pot size) But if it was online, I'd be betting much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are mathematical reasons for bet sizes. If you're raising to $12, 3 callers making a ~$40 pot then only betting $10-$20 you're allowing draws to get there quite cheaply and not just abusing poor calls where you have loads of equity.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 PM

My experience has been that live bets preflop are generally much larger relative to the big blind and effective stacks, but that live bets post flop are generally somewhat smaller relative to the pot size.

I think the reason is that many live players have a hard time calculating the size of the pot, but they know the absolute value of money.

For example, it is not unusual in a 5/5 NL game with $1000 effective stacks to get $50 raises made and called preflop (larger than online). Then, when the pot is 4-way with $200 in it, get a c-b of $100 because it is one row of $5 chips in a rack (smaller than online where 3/4 or more of the pot, or $150-$200, would be the norm).

As far as bet and raise sizing, it all depends on effective stacks and what you are trying to accomplish. I don't think there is an easy rule of thumb. NLHETAP and PNLHE have excellent sections on the thought process for determining bet and raise sizing that you might want to read. They are not necessarily perfect sources of informaiton, but the thought process they describe for reaching your bet and raise size is excellent.