Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 AM

Default A few hilo hands

15/30 full game on ftp

Hand 1

John Dagostino brings in with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I complete UTG with (K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] behind me. All folds to Dags who calls. He catches 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I catch K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I check/call. He catches J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I catch T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I check/raise he calls. On 6th, the boards are

Me: (K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
JD: (xx)3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets, I raise, he calls. The river I hit nothing. He checks, I check.

Hand 2

3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] brings in, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] completes UTG, 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds. I'm next with (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with three 5s and a Jack behind me. I decide to go ahead and make it two bets. All folds to the ace who calls.

4th:
Him: (xx)A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He check/calls.

5th:
Him: (xx)A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He check/calls.

6th:
Him: (xx)A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He check/raises, I curse and fold.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: A few hilo hands

Both are interesting. Hand 1 I started out thinking was perfect, came up with some fancy thoughts, and ended up thinking it was perfect again. He'll pay you off with bare jacks on the river, but I think he has better than that enough to make a bet a bad idea.

Hand 2 what do you have him on on fifth? He almost has to have 87 or the other aces to call your bet there. I think this is a spot where we as Stud players should be thinking a bit more about price to showdown rather than street to street value, and maybe check through sixth.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 AM

1st hand is standard. 2nd is WTF? He can have the case A, pocket KK, 2 low clubs, a picked up draw to a 6, etc. People with an A in the door tend to take shots at someone with a K doorcard. Show it down. The only hands that beat you are TT, 99, 66, and 87, and most players won't raise (TT)A (99)A (66)A or (87)A into a bunch of low cards.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 AM

Hand 2 I have no idea why you guys want to continue, you are acting like the villain doesn't remember that we just made it 2 bets with a K up against an A complete. We are repping buried AA/rolled, hands he expects us to never fold. He is raising. He expects us to never fold. So we fold.

Hand 1 standard, not really sure what the question is. I guess it's not out of the question to just call 6th because our line looks like pretty much exactly what it is but if we are behind we have great equity almost always and I think we are ahead a lot. If he catches offsuit J on 6th then raise is even easier.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 AM

In hand two If he's capable of opening any hand that beats us into all those low cards on 3rd, he's also capable of doing all kinds of stupid [censored] on later streets IMO.

I disagree that he's likely thinking OMG he reraised, AA/rolled!!!! I see players reraise an A with split kings all of the time in mid/high limit stud/8 games. They figure their hand is too good to fold, they don't want to coldcall, so they just say f-it and reraise.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 AM

What two sane hole cards can he have that we are ahead of/can suck out on if we are behind? I'm legitimately curious, I can think of a few but I have to stretch my imagination pretty far to think of any more.

Not only is our hand very rarely good, our cards aren't too live either.

*edit*
BTW I show hand 2 down but almost every big laydown blumpkin makes that he posts I say the same thing even though I am pretty sure that he made the right play.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 AM

Good analysis, HOWMANY.

On the second hand, the other guy could have something like A6 down, which we can at least suck out on. I think it's far more likely that we're drawing dead. I don't think that we should call the raise, but I also don't think we should have let him make it. plumpkin's line costs one bet. Checking behind sixth and calling the river also costs one bet and we get to the showdown every time.

First hand looks perfect.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:28 AM

First hand looks great.

Second hand is a tough one. I think you made a great laydown here, one im almost positive I couldnt make. I'd like to think I'd peel and fold the river UI, but I'm not positive that we can really win unless we spike an A. I feel like he has to have something like (66)A here
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What two sane hole cards can he have that we are ahead of/can suck out on if we are behind? I'm legitimately curious, I can think of a few but I have to stretch my imagination pretty far to think of any more.

Not only is our hand very rarely good, our cards aren't too live either.

*edit*
BTW I show hand 2 down but almost every big laydown blumpkin makes that he posts I say the same thing even though I am pretty sure that he made the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't many sane combos that don't beat us, but not many sane players will open any of the hands that do beat us looking at a 34555JK board behind him.

The possibility that (based on your post) blumpkin might be a bit of folder makes showing down feel even more right. In my experience someone who has an A in the door and gets reraised by K is more likely than usual stick around later streets with [censored] hands out of pure frustration/spite:

"He re-raised with KK??!!! F him...Aces are totally live and I can fold if he makes an open pair and I don't have anything. I'd love to backdoor this guy!!!! See you at the river buddy."
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 AM

I like checking 6th behind. It adds deception and saves you a bet incase you are beat already.