Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Need help creating a 16-man competition

Every year I arrange a golf weekend with a bunch of friends. This is the 9th year, and our group will be 15 or 16 guys ranging from 7 handicap to lucky to break 120 with 2 mulligans per hole. We're playing 3 rounds and I'm interested in doing some sort of competition where the crappy guys still have some kind of chance.

One option is obviously assigning reasonable handicaps to the people who don't have one, and going from there. This has proved difficult in the past since handicapping the unhandicapped can be subjective, difficult, and prone to arguments when a +50 shoots a 102.

One thing I'd like to include in the structure is encouraging foursomes to change for each round. We have a history of the same groups ending up playing all 3 rounds together, and I'd like to get people mixing it up with people they normally don't play with.

Ideas that have been mentioned include a bingo-bango-bongo round, and a 6/6/6 round. I'd like to hear about any other thoughts you might have. Scoring the mutiple days so they are equally weighted and can be totalled relatively fairly would be welcome also.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Need help creating a 16-man competition

Ryder Cup type match. We do this every year with a group. Caps range from 3 to 23. Throw out the handicaps and just pick teams and pair as best as possible. Format we use is two man best ball, two man scramble, and singles match play on the last round. One point for each match.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM

We've done something like this in the past, but our 2 single digit guys have the ability to get super annoyed when forced to play with 'that guy who whiffs'. Whiffer feels crappy after this also. I have no problem pairing them together for a single round, but would rather not do so for the whole weekend. It is my current standby, but I'd like to move away from it. I'm interested in less of a pair or team aspect and more on something with individual scoring.

BBB is a good option since it's an individual competition and anyone can rack up points in that game.
Now that I think of it, Wolf might work also...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 AM

We pair the better players together and the hackers together but if you want to get away from this you could also do some sort of quota with 50% adjustments after each round for some sort of overall game and then wolf or whatever you want to do within the groups.