Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

Anyoen who like this show really needs to see Budo: The Art of Killing. Its on showtime (I think) once in awhile.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:51 AM

you are obsessed with knives. Out of curiosity, what is so great about a collapsing baton? Is it like a mini baseball bat?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 AM

escrima/kali/fma/whatever is awesome. i started training brazilian jiujitsu at a club that did both. a few months later i wandered in at a time scheduled for kali by accident and no one else showed up, so the instructor gave me a little introduction. it's awesome, beautiful, fun as heck. i [censored] up my foot the next day and had to move before it healed, so unfortunately i've never had the chance to train it but i would if i had the opportunity. if you are in LA, asking around the right channels or google should help you. escrima is pretty popular around the west coast.

i have not seen human weapon yet it but looks amusing. if you are into martial arts documentaries the best is by far a swedish show called Rallarsving (Available on the internet subtitled into english) hosted by an amateur muay thai fighter and an amateur shooto fighter, both swedish
Old 07-28-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my dvr forgot to record this. i am srsly pumped for it though. according to the website, these are the disciplines lined up for the rest of the season (in no particular order):

* Muay Thai: Ultimate Striking
* Karate
* Judo: Samurai Legacy
* Eskrima Stickfighting
* Savate Streetfighting
* Pankration: The Original Martial Art
* Krav Maga of the Israeli Commandos
* Marine Corps Martial Arts
* MMA - America's Extreme Fighting
* Kung Fu
* Sambo: Russia's Extreme Fighting
* Bokator: Cambodian Blood Sport
* Silat: Martial Art of Malaysia

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a way cool line-up. [censored] me a decent V show about martial arts? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 AM

they should do that brazilian dance fighting technique.

Im sure it could go a couple more seasons, there is alot more styles out there.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and they could always revisit some old ones too because there are lots of different teachers teaching different stuff. I actually think it would be extremely interesting if they did two episodes of BJJ in a row. One with traditional teaching with someone like Wander Braga and then an episode with Eddie Bravo and some of the innovations that he has brought for no-gi BJJ
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34 PM

Just watched Muay Thai and Escrima. Meh, some of the visits with the experts are pretty cool but I find it kind of insulting the way they treat it like a recipe book where they can pick up this one technique from a grandmaster and use that in their fight. It would be a lot cooler IMHO to just do like a documentary style show on each fighting style and then show some real fights between real experts instead of the hosts.

Overall the feel of the show reminds me a whole lot of the show "Tyler's Ultimate" , which is a bad thing.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Capoeira(sp?), very cool to watch. I doubt they would pick up anything useful in a short period of time.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just watched Muay Thai and Escrima. Meh, some of the visits with the experts are pretty cool but I find it kind of insulting the way they treat it like a recipe book where they can pick up this one technique from a grandmaster and use that in their fight. It would be a lot cooler IMHO to just do like a documentary style show on each fighting style and then show some real fights between real experts instead of the hosts.

Overall the feel of the show reminds me a whole lot of the show "Tyler's Ultimate" , which is a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's less than ideal. But at least it's a relief from the "nobody knows nuthin if it ain't BJJ" thing that we always hear lately. And something doesn't have to be definitive or particularly deep to be good.

These guys' job looks super fun.

I wish there were more episodes on kung fu, since there are hundreds of styles and many are polar opposites. You could easily do several seasons on kung fu alone.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM

I think they're trying to get a small taste of everything first and... assuming ratings comply... then go back and hopefully get into it a bit more (as someone suggested the gi/no-gi issue or other styles of kung fu). No matter what though,even if it was several months with these masters, there's no real way to give a fair representation of everything.

I think the oafy guy will without a doubt get a chance to grapple during sambo week.

Silat could be awesome. It's definitely a martial art I'm curious about and have little exposure to.