Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

my dvr forgot to record this. i am srsly pumped for it though. according to the website, these are the disciplines lined up for the rest of the season (in no particular order):

* Muay Thai: Ultimate Striking
* Karate
* Judo: Samurai Legacy
* Eskrima Stickfighting
* Savate Streetfighting
* Pankration: The Original Martial Art
* Krav Maga of the Israeli Commandos
* Marine Corps Martial Arts
* MMA - America's Extreme Fighting
* Kung Fu
* Sambo: Russia's Extreme Fighting
* Bokator: Cambodian Blood Sport
* Silat: Martial Art of Malaysia
Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 AM

Watched the show, to me the best part was when they showed that ridiculous monkey technique to the trainer, and he was like no you cant do jack with it.

tbh i was worried that the big guy was going to be in there, and when he was going to try to clinch he was going to have his head knocked off.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Escrima is awesome. If you want to see some live Filipino-style stick fighting(Kali), do a search on the dog brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My issue with escrima is that carrying a collapsing baton is srsly illegal in CA. I constrantly hear escrima people talk about how "oh anything is a weapon". O RLY? Well, tbh, I've never seen anything even remotely sticklike in the hollywood park parking lot, so when someone tries to mug me/attack me there, I'd be screwed if all I knew was stick fighting. On the other hand, I DO carry a knife, and would like to become proficient at using it.
Blarg, do you have any recommendations for a place in LA to learn the knife fighting side of kali?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wear a trenchcoat and play Dungeons & Dragons much?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 AM

I watched some of this on the plane. It actually wasn't half bad. I have to admit I saw some ad's on street corners around here and it didnt look like anything I wanted to watch
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not going to happen since the 2 main guys can't become experts in such as short time.

Overall, a good concept for a show. I wonder what they will do if the show becomes very popular and goes into a 4th season down the road (how many different fighting styles can they possibly show?).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are over 300 styles of kung fu alone. And that's not counting that in most styles, there is weapon usage somewhere along the line, and so you can look at a style in more than one program. So the material is almost unlimited.

Unfortunately, some styles take so many years to learn that you can't really cover too much, certainly competitive-wise. I can't imagine them learning squat about bagua, for instance -- well, except maybe the squatting part.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Escrima is awesome. If you want to see some live Filipino-style stick fighting(Kali), do a search on the dog brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My issue with escrima is that carrying a collapsing baton is srsly illegal in CA. I constrantly hear escrima people talk about how "oh anything is a weapon". O RLY? Well, tbh, I've never seen anything even remotely sticklike in the hollywood park parking lot, so when someone tries to mug me/attack me there, I'd be screwed if all I knew was stick fighting. On the other hand, I DO carry a knife, and would like to become proficient at using it.
Blarg, do you have any recommendations for a place in LA to learn the knife fighting side of kali?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what's being taught enough to say. There was a kali studio on Vermont, in Koreatown, up above 3rd street, that I've driven by. And Dan Inosanto's Kali Academy has been around forever. But I don't know at what stage of development Inosanto or other Kali practicioners might introduce knife play.

From my understanding, though, the movement patterns are very similar, so what you learn from sticks you can apply to knives and to empty hands, too. If you look at the way Filipino stick fighters circle and weave their sticks, you can see right away how at least some of that applies directly to knifeplay, e.g., lots of wrist rotations to slice around and get in to targets.

Sticks are also great for upper body fitness, timing, and coordination in general, so I don't think you'd wind up regretting learning stick fighting first and moving to knife play as part of a normal course of training.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Btw on the weekend they're showing two episodes of it, so anyone who missed it can catch up. I think it's starting at 5 or 6 on Sunday.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Oh and snowball, the dog brothers teach around L.A., I think maybe in Long Beach? I'm not sure if they're still accepting students though.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:15 AM

Saw the Muay Thai episode. Fight was lame because of no leg kicks, but I liked the part where they go into the jungle and find the guys teaching the complete art.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 AM

Is Sam Sheridan involved with this at all? This sounds an awful lot like his book "A Fighter's Heart"