Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Virus future question

I got into an argument about this at work while discussing how ridiculous Jeff Goldblum hacking an alien system was in ID4.

Two guys at work said in the future all of the old viruses from today (love bug, etc...) would cripple the PC's of the future since they wouldn't be protected from them.

I said those viruses would be protected from as well as the future ones since the current viruses would have somethings in common with the future ones.

Who's right?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Virus future question

im pretty sure aliens have their own version of norton anti-virus.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM

Neither of you.

A virus for Windows 2015 wouldn't even begin to function in XP and a virus for todays Windows variants wouldn't even begin to function in Windows 2015.

Architecturally computers will be so vastly different that the virus' is rendered inoperable.

If "the old viruses" were still effective, then we'd be seeing some really super nasty ones that were around in the old DOS days, but those virus' simply don't work today, and even if they do, they don't know "what" to do with Windows.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got into an argument about this at work while discussing how ridiculous Jeff Goldblum hacking an alien system was in ID4.

Two guys at work said in the future all of the old viruses from today (love bug, etc...) would cripple the PC's of the future since they wouldn't be protected from them.

I said those viruses would be protected from as well as the future ones since the current viruses would have somethings in common with the future ones.

Who's right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Virus's are just another category of computer software. Do Commodore 64 programs work on your modern PC? Viruses generally are written for a specific type of hardware or Operating System. They'd have to be rewritten to work on a different OS. In which case they're a brand new virus.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neither of you.

A virus for Windows 2015 wouldn't even begin to function in XP and a virus for todays Windows variants wouldn't even begin to function in Windows 2015.

Architecturally computers will be so vastly different that the virus' is rendered inoperable.

If "the old viruses" were still effective, then we'd be seeing some really super nasty ones that were around in the old DOS days, but those virus' simply don't work today, and even if they do, they don't know "what" to do with Windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, good response. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 11:10 PM

nuc,

I made a similar analogy using 1940's Gov PCs instead of DOS.

JJ,

I knew that viruses were only for OS's (I remember people talking about viruses for PS2 and Xboxes since they went online), I just forgot that fact.

Thanks.

(The whole ID4 hacking WAS stupid, right?)
Old 07-22-2007, 11:49 PM

Mods or OP...please add "spoiler alert" to this thread's title.