Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM

Default WSOP reports \"Sends him into the tank\"

I've been reading WSOP reports on P....Listings and every 3rd hand someone goes "into the tank" and finally makes the toughest call of his life by calling with set of 5s on flushless, straightless and non-paired board to discover his opponent was holding KJ for one pair.

Example
[ QUOTE ]
Tobey Maguire is involved with one other player in a large pot with a board reading K-3-9-2 (9 and 2 of one suit). Maguire's opponent bets out $13,000 which sends him into the tank. Maguire eventually makes the call and the river falls A. Maguire pushes all-in and his opponent calls flipping over pocket nines for a set but Maguire had that beat with pocket kings for a better set. Go Spidey!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please explain that "goes into the tank" phrase as I don't seem to understand it or is it just bad reporting?

P.S. I was under impression that "going into the tank" means thinking for a long time before making a hard call on a board full of possibilities (flush, straight, full etc.)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: WSOP reports \"Sends him into the tank\"

Your p.s. is correct, or more generally just thinking about any decision for a long period of time.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:28 PM

There is an actual tank located at each table. Sort of like a dunking booth. Players go there to cool off.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

well i think he "went into the tank" here to make it look like he had a tough decision. "going into the tank" just means thinking for awhile.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM

OK thanks, making it look like it was a tough decision can be an explanation on turn, but going into the tank on river last to act for all your chips with set of 5s on

K 5 9 7 2 board wiht no flush is an exaggeration (put midly)!

I think it was reported Negreanu was the guy with 5s and "went into the tank" before facing KQ or something!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Although it is a long shot...there is a possibility that it could be a set over set situation. And since we weren't there to see the action and we "KNOW" what the cards are, it is easy to critisize a player for going in to the tank for all his chips/tourney life.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading WSOP reports on P....Listings and every 3rd hand someone goes "into the tank" and finally makes the toughest call of his life by calling with set of 5s on flushless, straightless and non-paired board to discover his opponent was holding KJ for one pair.

Example
[ QUOTE ]
Tobey Maguire is involved with one other player in a large pot with a board reading K-3-9-2 (9 and 2 of one suit). Maguire's opponent bets out $13,000 which sends him into the tank. Maguire eventually makes the call and the river falls A. Maguire pushes all-in and his opponent calls flipping over pocket nines for a set but Maguire had that beat with pocket kings for a better set. Go Spidey!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't believe everything you read. Maguire called after a few seconds, he then lead for 16,000 and his opponnent moved all in. He of course insta-called.

The press has an incomplete vision of every hand and sometimes guesses what they couldn't see and sometimes guesses wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Don't they do that just do make it more exciting to read?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Also, mnost of us that actually play the game of poker rely on false tells, often in situations such as how it was described originally. How many times have you let your timer run down close to 0 online even though you know you hold the nuts, hoping that your lack of a "quick action" will make your opponent think that you hold a hand that isn't very strong or you were faced with a tough decision that it took a while to think about?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is an actual tank located at each table. Sort of like a dunking booth. Players go there to cool off.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol