Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Preflop spot in Main Event

[ QUOTE ]
against a random i'd be more inclined to call because adding another 11k in chips is far more beneficial to us than losing 11k is hurtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM

timex,

as t-mac described the table, it seems like he would be able to largely run the table over. he said 'pretty much everybody to my left is a nit' which i take to at least mean 3 players, maybe even 4. if hero's sitting on, say, 65k to start the hand, if he calls and loses with aj, he's down to 54k, which on this table is fine, no big deal. but i think if villain calls and wins and gets to 77k, they'll just keep folding to him over and over.

in these EV neutral spots, i'll take the chance to build up my stack, because i believe that the other players, as described, will be unduly influenced by an evergrowing stack.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
timex,

as t-mac described the table, it seems like he would be able to largely run the table over. he said 'pretty much everybody to my left is a nit' which i take to at least mean 3 players, maybe even 4. if hero's sitting on, say, 65k to start the hand, if he calls and loses with aj, he's down to 54k, which on this table is fine no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but i think if villain calls and wins and gets to 77k, they'll just keep folding to him over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always joke about how low of a level my opponents are on, but theres no way people are this bad.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 PM

If he shows 77 I would snap-fold. Why on earth would you voluntarily play big pots in something like the ME?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM

I call here. A lot of cash players have really bad concepts of pushbotting. See a thread like this for isntance.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10456445
Also Timex lol at this
[ QUOTE ]
Fold AQ, call 22

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-10-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he shows 77 I would snap-fold. Why on earth would you voluntarily play big pots in something like the ME?

[/ QUOTE ]

NVM. Folding isn't bad if he shows 77 but not because we don't want to play big pots. We'd be a 1.2:1 dog but only gettin 1.1:1
Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 PM

doubling him up is not a consideration here which you mentioned. its simply am i making a +ev call. my opinion is no or marginally. he may have us dominated he may be flipping and the blinds could wake up qq kk aa ak and we're screwed. if you had 12bb say or less then i may gamble here.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

there is one other consideration here. you are not in any danger of busting by calling you are telling the table "don't even try putting a move on me im gonna look you up" this may have +ev for future hands.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he shows 77 do you call?

If a random player shows 77 do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

no and no, barely +EV to begin with and small, but non-zero chance of domination behind you (approx 5-8% depending on your position that someone has QQ+ or AK+ behind, which you will beat about 29%.)

I mean cmon we need 47.6% equity to break even if everyone folds behind us and the actual race is 48%. I mean I did the math just now but no way in hell my instinct would be to call.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is one other consideration here. you are not in any danger of busting by calling you are telling the table "don't even try putting a move on me im gonna look you up" this may have +ev for future hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is putting a move on you, this guy is pushing into 5 opponents. The play has zero to do with you. No one is going to be like "oh no I better not mess with his button or cutoff, he might call me with one of the best hands in holdem" (plenty of people would not be surprised to see AJs call).