Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM

Default 2500 6max

I'm very curious about what you guys think the play is here.

25-50 blinds
UTG is down to 625 chips having literally lost the rest of his 5k stack the hand before. He is definately tilting and just shoves it in. He honestly may not have even looked at his hand, but he def might have.

Small Blind is in his 50's, def bad at poker def jolly and not tricky. He says "ok i'll gamble with you, i'll help you out" and calls. He has around 7k in his stack

What hand in the big blind do we need to shove our 5k stack
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: 2500 6max

I'd push about A8/KJ/66 or better.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd push about A8/KJ/66 or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting spot! I've done it once at LAPC ME Day 2 at similar spot with 99. People sometimes don't realize what they say at the table is meaningful to others.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

25-50 blinds
UTG is down to 625 chips having literally lost the rest of his 5k stack the hand before. He is definately tilting and just shoves it in. He honestly may not have even looked at his hand, but he def might have.

Small Blind is in his 50's, def bad at poker def jolly and not tricky. He says "ok i'll gamble with you, i'll help you out" and calls. He has around 7k in his stack

[/ QUOTE ]

the small blind ALWAYS has a huge hand here. I mean, I need aces or kings to push in this spot.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:32 AM

I lean more toward OSU's range than ike's.

AK is nice because SB is making that call with AJ/AQ. Bad old guys are typically not calling (and giving that speech) with AT- though in my somewhat limited live experience. He is definitely calling with any pair and he probably wouldn't think to iso with mid pairs so I guess that makes AQ stronger for us and we should probably procede with 99+ also.

AQ+/99+ is my range to continue and I am isoshoving with AQ+ /KK+ and calling with 99-QQ... meh, I guess I shove with AJ too as the old guy will fold a lot of small-mid pairs to us.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 AM

Old guy definitely has a good hand, but old guys like this won't stack off this early without a really premium hand, and he'd have to be a rare old guy to make that comment with AA. I can see pushing as a +EV play with any pair and with a lot of strong unpaired hands, but personally I would not take the risk to push this early because I'd feel I have a strong edge over my opponents. That's just me though.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

25-50 blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

the small blind ALWAYS has a huge hand here. I mean, I need aces or kings to push in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he utters the phrase "i'll gamble with you" or "i'll help you out" without giggling he almost never has AA or KK. a jolly and not tricky older guy isn't gonna see his huge hand and then say something sneaky to try to trap the big blind into getting involved when theres already a somewhat sizable push in front of him. he's just gonna look at his hand and say "call" or "i've got you, call." what he said makes it extremely likely that he's something like 99 or at or probably much worse and will happily fold to your push (and then be angry and confused when you show up with a8).

think how mean it would be to the poor shortstack you're about to bust to tell him you're gonna gamble with him and help him out and then show him aces. a jolly older guy isn't playing to taunt shortstacks as they bust and will almost never be lying here for that reason.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 AM

Not like I've ever played old Americans in WSOP events, but I'm totally with Ike here.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 AM

Oh and beware angle shooters in live events, they are freaking everywhere. Faking tilt isn't angle shooting, but you get the idea. So don't love your reads so much you make unsound plays.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Small Blind is in his 50's says "ok i'll gamble with you, i'll help you out"

[/ QUOTE ]

AA