Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Prophetic Moment or Random Coincidence?

Last week I watched my roommate's Independence Day DVD because I haven't seen the movie in like 5+ years. About 45 minutes after it is over Independence Day comes on FX.

This sort of thing is not that rare, I assume that I saw a commercial or something that made me think about it and that advertising works a lot better than I think it does.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The trick here is to realize all the times that something happens in your life that isn't a surprising coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

BLASPHEMER! ALL HAIL DONKEYKONGSR!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The trick here is to realize all the times that something happens in your life that isn't a surprising coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

BLASPHEMER! ALL HAIL DONKEYKONGSR!

[/ QUOTE ]

I see many great things for you in your future.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 PM

It's random. Doesn't seem so. I used to have friends convinced I was psychic and sometimes I believed it myself. I would run into people when I was traveling way more than seemed logical. I'd know who was calling me before caller ID and answer with their names.

You would enjoy reading Jung and his concept of synchronicity. I'd guess, we store short term memory and if something comes in exactly like that recently stored, it seems unusual. You are just fooling yourself but it is common. I still marvel at those delicious little coincidences that have to be a million to one long shots.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 AM

My guess is that your word association was not random: you had probably heard someone, either on tv, radio, or some other random person, say the same stuff as colbert was saying.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DK,

The most surprising part of your post was learning that the NHL is still in existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy another Spurs-Pistons finals. It'll be super exciting!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cavs Spurs finals aka Lebron Spurs finals
Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 AM

You've just experienced the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon:

[ QUOTE ]
Baader-Meinhof is the phenomenon where one happens upon some obscure piece of information– often an unfamiliar word or name– and soon afterwards encounters the same subject again, often repeatedly. Anytime the phrase "That's so weird, I just heard about that the other day" would be appropriate, the utterer is hip-deep in Baader-Meinhof.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DK,

The most surprising part of your post was learning that the NHL is still in existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy another Spurs-Pistons finals. It'll be super exciting!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cavs Spurs finals aka Lebron Spurs finals

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess we'll see how well my psychic powers are working. Let's go Pistons! Let's bore the world like it's 2005!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 PM

I agree with the second poster and the person who asked how often does something seemingly non-amazing-coincidence happen? (Implied answer= 99.99% of the time) But that doesn't make things like this completely lame. Actually the OP is a bit lame. I prefer stories of adventure and action rather than two people happening to say the same unlikely thing independently. In "Googlewhack Adventure", Dave Gorman describes a competition he and his friends had to see who had had the most crazy coincidental experiences. One of them told a story where one day he decided to go to Spain on holiday and basically flew right there (I think, I haven't got the book with me), and he starts walking up this mountain in Spain, and on the way up he meets his next-door neighbour on his way down. Apparently the events of them both going to Spain and that mountain were independent, although as a listener to the story you have to suspect there may be something in it. Maybe the storyteller partially decided to go to Spain because he saw a holiday brochure with a mountain on the front advertising "SPAIN" in big letters in his neighbour's trash, and didn't consciously pay any attention to it. These stories are always more amazing to the people who experience them, and others (particularly men) trivialise them and argue that, "well it had to happen to someone and you just happened to be the one it happened to. There must be millions of events that seem like crazy coincidences that happen every day, and with 6 billion people in the world everybody is going to have one or ten stories to tell."

Anyway I have my own poker-related coincidence story. If you'd care to follow this link to my short story on another forum, and leave comments of triviality accordingly.

A spooky coincidence...OR A MIGHTY SYMBOL?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM

I had a really weird couple of weeks, and it was coming off the back of a losing streak as well, which may have heightened my perception towards things that sucked. Anyway...on with the story...

So, I had just broken up with my girlfriend, she moved out of our apartment and I was living by myself, with no proper friends around me. I had been really thinking of going travelling, and I had always thought of going to Amsterdam as my first stop.

A music festival was coming up, and I managed to get tickets for it the night before, through the festivals forum. I drove down to it, to hook up with some friends down there. I had an impending sore throat which I was trying to ignore, but in came on full force that night and I ended up driving back home! When I was getting into my car I found my glasses crushed on the floor - I had just got them a few days previous.

The next day I hooked up with my ex, and the two of us ended up in the shower fully clothed :P In the heat of the moment I left my phone and everything in my pocket. Phone got soaked through so I had to get a new one.

Couple of nights later I was walking down Dublin quay on my way to a bar when a junkie asked me for the time. I stupidly took out my new flashy phone, and he threatened to stab me if I didn't give it to him. He was bigger than me, with cuts all over his face. It was pretty clear what the least -EV option was!

Next morning I go to get my car...clamped!

A day or two later my car is parked in a quiet residential area. I go to get it...wing mirror kicked off!

My desire to [censored] off to Amsterdam or wherever else was growing with each unfortunate incident!

So then I am at a party in my friends house. I'm driving so I cant drink, but he gives me a couple of bottles of beer to take home. I put one in each pocket of my coat. As I'm getting out of the car I kinda stumble to lock the door, and an apple I was holding falls on to the ground. Being so p!ssed off with everything that had been happening over the past couple of weeks, I kick the apple and it shoots off down the road. I walk on to my house and I notice the apple. I walk over to it, and it had stopped rolling exactly beside a flight ticket stump. Destination on the ticket? Amsterdam