Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Dutch Organ Donor Show

I saw this while watching Fox News tonight. There is going to be a reality show in Dutch about a dying person choosing a lucky person out of three to be the receiver of her organ upon death.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?ali...modsrc=reuters

It's definitely a show I'd watch.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Dutch Organ Donor Show

the moralistas in the UK are up in arms about this, but the show will at least highlight the shocking lack of organs avaiable for donation.

It also needs addressing in the UK. I, and all my family, are on the database for organ donation upon death, but until recently (and it may still be in place, i'm unsure) families have had the right upon a person's death to prevent organ removal. If my family did that to me i'd go nuts, since I wanted to donate.

Anyway, back to topic, if it gets one more person to get on the organ donor database, so much the better. Whilst it violates ethics on organ donation/anonymity, it both a) offers the "contestants" a greater chance than sitting on a waiting list and b) may drive the population to recognise the critical need for organ donation.

SMP thread?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:58 AM

I was reading on oot before a seemingly good idea...organ donation should be an opt-out program instead of an opt-in program.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:17 AM

Harris,
Interesting. I think it's great that you want to donate your organs. I am a donor as well. Supposedly, the purpose of the show is to display the lack of organ donors instead of entertainment values. But now it seems people will be getting a great kick out of it as well.

Zeebo,
Really? How old is this thread? It doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I wonder what the argument of not donating would be besides taking your body apart.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 AM

religious values prohibit sometimes

and the whole thing about a family member/spouse being able to go against my wishes upon my death. that is basically denial/squeamishness on their part, but it is annoying they can. I hope the law is changed before my death. that or i'll stick it in my will.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeebo,
Really? How old is this thread? It doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I wonder what the argument of not donating would be besides taking your body apart.

[/ QUOTE ]I have no idea maybe 3 months. It might have been a sub thread of some sort of "things that bother you" thread. The argument of not donating has to do with religious beliefs, and wanting your body in tact for the funeral or something. Someone else also made a theoretical argument (that may or may not hold water), that if you had a match for an organ that doctors would be less likely to do everything they can to save your life if your organs could be used to help someone else that needed it.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone else also made a theoretical argument (that may or may not hold water), that if you had a match for an organ that doctors would be less likely to do everything they can to save your life if your organs could be used to help someone else that needed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wouldn't work in the UK since the database isn't accessed by doctors whilst working on you. and it's ludicrous anyway, since doctors pledge to maintain life, not harvest body parts carelessly.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 AM

The part I find really confusing is that she chooses ONE winner out of the three contestants, but she has TWO kidneys... Where does her second kidney go? Maybe she's not really dying?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 AM

Well the government over here was quite upset with the show, they said it's unethical, and what not.
But the owner of the tv channel died because of a kidney disease, now the new director wants to bring the lack of organs to everybody's attention. He disgusts the concept, but he still wants to carry on with it to shock people who aren't in the organ donation database.
He did say that it would be as humane as possible, it won't be one big entertainment show. As far as that is possible, if in fact the viewers at home have something to say about who gets the kidney (you can sms which contestant gets the kidney).

I have no idea why she isn't donating 2 kidneys btw. And no I don't really agree with this show.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 AM

I read in the paper that the 3 contestants aren't even confirmed matches. That means the "winner" she picks may not even be able to receive the kidney.