Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Quick Thoughts on the New Systems

Wondering what everyones thoughts are on the 3 new generation systems. I've only played 2, the Wii and the 360 so I can't really give an opinion on the PS3.

360-Good graphics, fun games. Games look pretty sick in 1080i. I really have enjoyed the 2kx Basketball Games, Gears of War, Fifa. Didn't like Madden so far, it's pretty poorly done.

Wii-I haven't played it much but from what I saw I wasn't that impressed with Sports and from the thread I read it might be the best game. Tennis is kinda fun but still kinda lame. I didn't enjoy boxing. Bowling was kinda fun. I still prefer a normal controller. I also prefer graphics that don't look like a 5 year old designed them. I know others probally have had better experiences with the Wii, but I haven't so far.

Personal opinion is I really like the 360 and I don't care much for the Wii. I'm 25 and my friends have gotten quite bored with the Wii although they don't play that many games in general. Maybe we need a new set of games for the Wii to enjoy it.

Others? I know someone has had to have played / owned the PS3.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Quick Thoughts on the New Systems

I've only played the Wii so far, but I think I'll go to Best Buy this weekend, play the other two systems' demo games for a bit, and have a completely formed opinion to post when I return. Stay tuned!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Right now I've got a 360 Elite and a Wii, first time I've had consoles since I was 12.

360: Graphics are awesome, great selection of games that I have really enjoyed (Gears, Dead Rising, GRAW, etc.) Xbox Live Arcade is pretty neat and online play is pretty smooth, if not slightly annoying because of the microphones.

The only thing I've disliked about the 360 so far is that it's library of backwards compatible stuff is sorely lacking, there are quite a few older games I'd like to play but I can't until they update, if they update.

Wii: So far I'm happy with it considering the price, but I don't think it quite lives up to the hype yet. The few games I've tried are pretty bad, with the exception of Wii sports (Especially Tennis), which I find pretty fun. I have Zelda but I won't have a chance to play it until summer, so I can't comment on that.

They really need some niche games because it just can't compete with my other options of playing games like Medal of Honor or other shooters. In games like these the Wiimote and motion sensor stuff just come off as unnecessary and even hampering.

The graphics aren't on par obviously but the Wii wasn't meant to be a graphics powerhouse so I'm not upset about that.

One great thing is that it's Gamecube compatible so I've been able to get some older stuff like the Resident Evil series and finally play them.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the 360 and can't really complain about the Wii, especially since it has no good games yet.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 PM

360 - Awesome graphics, great selection. Online play is a little annoying since the microphone randomly doesn't work at times. Sometimes hard to actually connect to games.

My favorite games: Tony Hawk's Project 8, Guitar Hero II, Crackdown, Geometry Wars.

Wii - Only played Wii Sports, 5 minutes of Zelda, and 5 minutes of some operation game. Clever design, graphics aren't nice but I don't really care. Didn't really like Wii Sports, it was way too basic. I think once sports games are more specialized (as in not package so many in one title) they will rock. Boxing was the only fun game. Baseball is weak since it's basically timing, would be better if your speed and angle actually meant something. Same with tennis. Where you hit the ball depends on the timing. Would be better if the angle of your remote mattered.

Too early to tell how nice the Wii will be. I'm looking forward to Mario Party and the different Mario Sports.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:28 PM

i have a Wii, havent played it in awhile, needs some great games ASAP, but i know they re coming(zelda really is THAT good though). i would get a 360 if one in three didnt break, im not going to pay that much for something that has a 33 percent failure rate, at least half of the people i know that have a 360 have had it break on them. if the elites have a good record over the next couple of months i'll get one.

i have a DS and i play it pretty often, thinking about getting a PSP, which seems to have some pretty damn good games now