Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Alcohol problem

I seem to have some sort of problem with drinking responsibly. I don't get drunk very often (maybe once every two months) because I play a sport.

Anyway, when I do get drunk I generally take it too far. I was sent to the ER once after vomiting pretty hard for 10-15 minutes. I don't actually think that I needed to goto the hospital, but I was sent there. Regardless, I had blacked out at that point and had no recollection of the majority of the night.

After that incident, I had been doing pretty good. I had gotten drunk maybe 2-3 times and had no problems. I define drinking responsibly as not blacking out\vomiting.

However, the last few times I've been drunk (keep in mind that I drink once every two months or so, I've blacked out again. I know that one time I didn't vomit, but I'm not sure about the other time.

Anyway, the point of this post was to ask for help on what to do about this. I try to prep myself before I go out by reminding myself that I need to take it slow, be controlled, etc. However, whenever I start getting drunk I just keep drinking. My tolerance isn't amazing, and I'd imagine that I probably shouldn't be passing the 8-9 drink mark (5'10, 165 lbs).

Any advice?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Alcohol problem

Drink more often. That way, you won;t feel the need to got o excess x 12 everytime.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM

First let me say I have nothing against drinking in general. I drink, my friends drink, and we enjoy it. That said, I would suggest you think hard about stopping drinking entirely.

It sounds like you may have a predisposition to alcoholism. Seriously, you've had several experiences where, despite your best efforts, you drank way too much. That's one of the defining characteristics of addiction. Overdrinking like that doesn't happen to most people. When people first start drinking, they may have too much, but they quickly learn their lessons. You don't seem to be learning.

If you can't stop once you start, maybe you shouldn't start. Since you manage to avoid drinking at all most of the time, would it be that much of an imposition to avoid it altogether? You even have a great excuse, "I can't, I'm in training."

Plus, nobody likes a puker. Your friends would probably be glad they didn't have to deal with your drunk [censored] anymore.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

If you cant control yourself you should probably stop.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Stopping is an unreasonable task for most people, so you sould consider yourself lucky drinking is such a small aspect of your life you still have stopping as a relatively easy option.

If you don't want to stop completely, set a low limit for yourself. I'm talking 3-4 drinks MAX, maybe lower. This way you'll never be 'drunk' although you'll be drinking along with your friends. It's very hard and frustrating when your friends all get drunk yet seem to suffer none of the negative effects you do. You try to enjoy alcohol the same way they do but something just doesn't work. This problem won't go away on its own.

I used to get too drunk pretty often, so for a long time I set strict limits for myself and stuck to them. Nowadays I rarely if ever drink uncontrollably because I'm used to and not afraid of being practically sober in a bar. If I get drunk one night, the next night I feel almost repulsed by the idea of getting drunk again. Plus if you DD a lot friends will suddenly appreciate you a LOT.

In conclusion, strongly consider quitting. If that's too much, then rethink why you drink. Don't make your goal for the night to get drunk, but to have a good time with your friends WITHOUT getting drunk.

Plus read the Jack Kerouac book "Big Sur." It might just scare you straight.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:19 PM

Drink beer?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM

haaa your problem is that you never had a freshman year that taught you the basics of drinking (through experience, of course).

don't drink shots.

don't drink hard alcohol (eg mixed drinks).

drink beer and you'll always be pleasantly drunk/rarely ever black out.

unfortunately for you, if you don't drink often you may never have acquired a taste for beer.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 AM

I have this problem sometimes, but it almost exclusively happens when I drink hard alcohol. VERY RARELY when I only drink beer. This may be your problem. I basically just have to never drink liquor, or I go out of control and do insanely stupid things.

Of course, you might just have to quit altogether.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 AM

Set a number of drinks you want to have before you go out that is a number you know you can handle. Bring a water bottle when you drink. When you decide to stop drinking booze switch to the water and keep refilling it (with water) throughout the night.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 PM

You'll black out from time to time, it happens. No need to Quit drinking entirely... Foolish talk i tells you! foolish!