FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Networking

So there are several types of networking:
Social
Business
Entrepreneurial
Sexual
I'm hoping I could be enlightened by the wise men in EDF about business and entrepreneurial. (sexual too, maybe?). Of course, all of them are intertwined to one another.

I've always wanted to start a thread somewhere about this topic but never got around to it and let it slipped my mind. I was reminded, however, when I read raptor's response in the Poker Coaching thread and decided to make a post about it.

The concept of networking in college seems to be getting to know as many people as possible and remember their names and what they're good for. Being a 21-year-old college student, I've finally hit the stage where you have to start allocating your time wisely into some people that would benefit you in the near future. As superficial as that may sound, I've found that to be truer as I grow older. So my first question is if people agree with me on this part or not?

There are also numerous examples of how networking has benefited or changed someone's business/career/life . Example: (I just reread Art of the Deal so I apologize if there's not too many Trump's fans in here. I am actually growing weary of him since the Cuban -> O'Donnell -> Vince McMahon fiasco) How he didn't want to go to this banquet but eventually went and met a banker that saved his arse when he went bankrupt in the late 80s/early 90s. In Taylor Caby's thread, there were many inspiring and motivating stories in terms of career. The second question is: how have the people in your life helped you, in terms of business? Or more specifically, if there was one person you have to thank for your current success, who would it be and how did you come about meeting him?

I apologize beforehand if this sounds a tad whiny or childish. I'm just growing weary of the "Meet the recruiters night: Come submit your resume and talk about a glorified version of Han for five minutes" scene. Also, please feel free to add any questions or suggestions in regards to networking in general. I know there are a lot of college students that are going through the networking phase too and seemingly frustrated at the thought of it.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Networking

I'll give me 2 cents on all of them:

Social: This is the easy one. You hang out with people who suit you, you try and go to a variety of places, meet people of similar interests, and stay diversified. Always be offering your number out, always have something planned that you can include more people; party, sporting match, a concert, a poker night, anything. Keep offering stuff to people, they offer stuff to do back, then you network at those things.

Business: Similar to social, actually, except a little more serious. Just keep an eye on people you know, ask how their business is going. Don't pry. Always explain what you do. Don't hesitate to call someone if you want to know something, or think something could be arranged. I constantly need to get someones number from a friend because I had a thought in my head. People love random calls like this, makes them feel like people think about them.

Entrepreneurial: I guess the same as business, except, know a finance guy.

Sexual: Its all in the probability, my friend. If you get the social right, the opportunites are plentiful. If you're average or above average looking, just start talking to people, and always be looking out. Remember, failing 9/10 is a great statistic to a true 'player'.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:22 PM

If anyone has a career for someone who is awesome at networking and meeting people, etc, let me know. Im great at meeting people, making friends etc, but when I actually have to..you know..."work"..I get lazy.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 PM

My best friend got me into my current job. I am a smart guy with a Master's Degree in History and Archival Science. Did the archivist thing for a while but did not want to relocate out of Seattle after returning here from Thailand. My friend got a job in a start-up and got me in on the ground floor doing some menial [censored]. But I worked hard and improved the processes. Now 2 years later I am a manager with my own team. And was able to re-locate to London for several months to set up a team there.

So that is one connection that has now turned into multiple, since I know that at least 5 people here would recommend me (or directly hire me) for future jobs if our jobs here go away. These guys are well-connected and I am therefore, now semi-well connected. So don't stop impressing and networking once you have a job.

KJS
Old 05-07-2007, 02:00 PM

han,

I'll make a longer reply to this later, but specifically wrt business, networking is such a huge factor and I can't overemphasize the importance of it. I am good at it but don't particularly like it. So, I end up doing as much as I have to, but could do a lot more. I know a lot of people who really focus on this and it is amazing how much you can acommplish with little talent, experience, or knowledge if you just contstantly focus on networking.

On a semi-related note, I read this anecdote somewhere about Barry Diller (billionaire CEO of IAC, major media mogul). Apparently through much of his career, he would start every day making a phone call for a minute or two to ten people on his contact list. Just a quick "hey, haven't talked in a while, just wanted to check in." Then when he called people for favors, it was much less out of the blue and a much greater likelihood of them helping him out.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 PM

I think a missed point is to not only help yourself but help others also. Everybody knows the people whose calls they never answer because they know they only want a favor. Get in good with them on a genuine level, if you know of someone else in the their field that can help them in business matters tell them and help them out. Then when it comes time when you need help, they will be more inclined to help you out.

As an aside - I got my current job through my volunteer job. I coached summer league basketball here in Dallas and I got to know one of the coaches that I would always coach against and he owns his own company and got in good with him and he got me a job at his place.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM

I'm currently reading "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. It's a highly recommended book on the topic.

I'm still in college and thinking about an entrepreneurial path. However, I've always viewed networking as some weird, superficial strategy that people use. The book seems to say, for the most part, that you don't really have to be superficial at all. For the people who have real experience networking in business, do you find this to be true?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:23 PM

I also liked Never Eat Alone.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a semi-related note, I read this anecdote somewhere about Barry Diller (billionaire CEO of IAC, major media mogul). Apparently through much of his career, he would start every day making a phone call for a minute or two to ten people on his contact list. Just a quick "hey, haven't talked in a while, just wanted to check in." Then when he called people for favors, it was much less out of the blue and a much greater likelihood of them helping him out.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my real estate investment books advocates this also.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently reading "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. It's a highly recommended book on the topic.

I'm still in college and thinking about an entrepreneurial path. However, I've always viewed networking as some weird, superficial strategy that people use. The book seems to say, for the most part, that you don't really have to be superficial at all. For the people who have real experience networking in business, do you find this to be true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I read the book as well and worked in politics for the last few years which is a business heavily based on personal relationships. Just take an honest interest in people, believe me you have something in common with pretty much everyone. When you talk to somebody and ask them how they are doing, pay attention to what the answer is, remember people's birthdays stuff like that. Networking is really just making friends with people you do business with.

I can't think of anybody who has become sucessful without the help of friends along the way. While your still in school get active in a fraternity or some other student group, go to alumni events after you graduate just meet as many people as you can and keep an open mind about it and you'll be amazed by the results.