Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: underhouses = the devil?

grizy is spot on with this one in regards to either getting it all in on the flop or keeping the pot small. There are plenty of opponents who I know will want to felt with their trips with an A kicker and a couple of overcards (or sometimes even just the A kicker and one overcard to the board).

Underfulls are, for me, one of the most important hands to have a solid read on an opponent. The lack of a safe turn card, when any card that drops could perhaps fill them up, means that knowing what they're tendencies are is extremely important. Check-calling down really isn't my preference, as I find even the more passive types will fire more barrells at you even if they don't always have a full. If you know an opponent isn't particularly aggressive, a flop call will usually mean they've got trips or they might already have top full and be slowplaying. I almost always follow this up with a turn-bet of 1/2 to 3/4 pot, knowing this particular opponent isn't going to raise me without a boat. This will occasionally create tricky river situations as to whether they'll bet without a higher full but it seems to make it easier (against the standard more passive type opponent) if you show a decent bit of interest and let them know you do have something.

Aggressive, tricky opponents create a stickier situation when they raise you, meaning you're either getting your money in as a reasonable favourite or drawing almost dead but I haven't found too many good opponents who go crazy on a paired board without a solid hand - and the ones who can read me and push me off, well, that's what table selection is all about...

Bottom line, with an underfull, if it's a raised pot, I'll try and check/raise all-in (depending on stack sizes). In an unraised pot, I'll normally open-pot it and go from there (without trying to bloat the pot but still showing strength). Definitely one of the tougher situations in PLO though.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 PM

in general: play it fast as long as your opponent keeps his feet on the brake, when he changes his mind, fold as fast as possible. unless he is a very good player and the stacks are deep(200BBplus)
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 AM

in a really raised pot you can bet it since your opponents won't have implied odds... although he's probably going all the way with overcards.