Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Kinda funny story from the WSOP.

The thread about the Bellagio gossip got me thinking about a story I meant to post and never did from back during the WSOP.

It was the day of the 5k o8 tourney and my opening table included Barry Greenstein and Todd Brunson. Mike Matasow is at the table next to us and being his boisterous self.

This is at the same time that the 5k NL final table where Phil Hellmuth took second is going on. We play for a while and nothing too exciting happens and then Mike starts getting riled up. Apparently someone at his table said something disparaging about Phil Hellmuth and he was wanting to place a bet that Phil would win.

He was adament, wanting to bet 1k and get 4 to 1 or some such nonsense. Noone was biting, but then Greenstein speaks up from our table

"Oh yea, Mike, if you'd bet 10k I might give you some action."

Mike says that he will bet 10k but Barry responds "Well you've got to post."

Mike pulls out two 5k chips and Barry nods to Todd. Todd chimes in:

"What, Mike? You've got the money to make some silly bet but not pay back a debt?"

Mike is humbled and says he always pays back his debts even if it is for his case cash (which the 10k obv was) and tosses the two chips to Todd.

Barry asks Todd for a % for baiting Mike into showing the chip but Todd declines.

Fortunately for Mike, he never got to place the bet as Phil ended up second.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Kinda funny story from the WSOP.

Also, after this, Mike explained how he had lost the 80k in the cash game. Apparently it was to Joe Hachem when Mike flopped 8s full and lost to QQ as he slowplayed to a final board of 338TQ. There was some other gossip that was spread at the time and if I remember it I'll try and post. Sorry all this is delayed.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Kinda funny story from the WSOP.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, after this, Mike explained how he had lost the 80k in the cash game. Apparently it was to Joe Hachem when Mike flopped 8s full and lost to QQ as he slowplayed to a final board of 338TQ. There was some other gossip that was spread at the time and if I remember it I'll try and post. Sorry all this is delayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the next table over playing 10/25 during this hand, it was 8442 on the turn when all the money went in and the Q hit the river, it was a ~60k pot... He also lost a pot to Hachem's top set against Matusow's NFD for ~40k