Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Thinly veiled whine post.

Bellagio Cup II, 10k main event.

I was 30 minutes late and show up to 19,700 chips. Blinds are 50-100 and I play a few hands.

I go into the next pot with 17500 and limp with Q5hh in the cutoff after 2 limpers. The SB completes and we take 5 to a flop of Qs Qh Js. It checks to me and I bet 350 and get only one of the limpers to call. The turn is a 4d and the limper check calls a bet of 1100. The river is a beautiful 5s completing the flush draw and the limper bets 2300 into me. I think for a short bit and raise to 10k. He moves allin and I call my remaining chips.

He obviously flopped the nuts.

Aside from folding preflop, is there anything I could've done differently?

Sorry for the whining and I'm pretty sure I couldn't play it much differently but sometimes it helps just to hear it.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Thinly veiled whine post.

honestly, if he pushes after your raise, i think you CAN find a fold, but it sucks to find it. He's check/called, check/called the whole way. Yes, he wakes up when the flush comes home but...

1) how many good players are going to chase a flush on two streets of a paired board that's in range of hitting someone real hard?
2) if he's bad, how likely is he to bet his made flush?

again, finding a fold here sucks, though, and I can't fault you for going broke.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:28 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

theosu yea fold the 2nd nuts
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM

yah dude this sucks something similar happened to me the other day except it was a $10 not 10k. im in the small blind with 88 everyone folds of course so i limp and the bb checks.

flop comes J,8,7 with two clubs and a heart. im like sweet i finally flopped one of those things people around here are calling a set and then start thinking how to get money into the pot. i dont want to scare the guy off so i just check and he checks. well crap.

turn comes a 6 of hearts. and now im still trying to figure out how to get money in the pot without scaring him off but the board is shaping up for some nice draws. two clubs, two hearts and an obvious straight. so i decide against betting and try to get him to again. i check he checks again. wtf

river is a another J. ok sweet now i got a full house i think (not sure since its been so long). so im like this really sucks i finally got a nice hand and of course not gonna win any money. so i fire about 600 into a 1200 pot hoping mabye hes got somehting to call with. he reraises to like 1100 and then im like wtf? how did that jack help him. '

so then i go about trying to figure out what in the hell he would play this way. if he really had anything why would he let me keep drawing for free caqrds when he had with position. if he was gonna bluff why didnt he do it sooner instead of keep giving me cards. so im like i think i got the best hand and reraise 3 bet the river to like 3600 or so about half my stack and he instapushes. [censored].

hes got my covered by a few k and i have no idea what in the world he would possibly play that way. i think for a while and still have no idea so i had to call he flips over J7 for a better full house. (two outer on the river) nice. so i guess this is a whine too. but if i could go back i dont think i wouldve called my whole stack to a 4 bet on the river since i still had some decent chips to work with and i dunno maybe this is being results oreiented
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM

There is absolutely nothing you can do here whatsoever.

Unless he did some kind of crazy dance or something to let you know that he had Q-J, there is 0 chance I fold here.

Tough one man.

Brad
Old 08-09-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something similar happened to me the other day

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even remotely similar.

Bet the flop, bet the turn, something, anything...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theosu yea fold the 2nd nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'm not saying he should have folded. I'm saying it was to be found. Dur.

Christ, i go broke here every day all day electrical jesus style.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:43 PM

I don't think Phil Hellmuth would fold Q5 there, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Standard
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
something similar happened to me the other day

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even remotely similar.

Bet the flop, bet the turn, something, anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

why? can u give some reasons? my reasoning was that heads up a set is a monster and i laid a trap for the bigger stack with position to bluff away some chips or a chance to catch a second best hand since the flop usually misses both blinds. i didnt have a read on his passive/aggreesive tendanceis since i just got moved to that table.