Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 AM

Default x-post, Thai women have no calves, OT

I consider some of you clowns as friends, so I wanted you to read about my experience on my venture to Thailand. I posted this thread in OOT here: thread . As some of you are aware, my wife is a Thai citizen that had to return to Thailand after completion of her ph.d. I chose to follow her cause BeerMoney has a big heart. Some of you also may be happy to hear that I'm getting drunk right now.

I think that the first observation I made when I arrived in Bangkok was that Thai wome have no calf definition.

I arrived in Bangkok about 1 week ago to come live with my wife in Chiang Mai. I wish I had written down all of my experiences and things I noticed, so I'll have to go off of memory.. Here are some short comments opinions about my trip so far.

* I packed up and got rid of most of my stuff in my apartment. This was an extremely difficult task of getting rid of my belongings.. (I tried to keep Fight Club in the back of my head when I was throwing stuff away, or selling it for dirt cheap.)

* Leaving my cushy lifestyle behind where I had a ten minute walk to work where I worked about 20 hours a week was also hard.

* Saying goodbye to friends I will likely never see again blew harder.

* Saying goodbye to relatives I may never see again sucks hard too.

* I had a very emotional goodbye with my parents. Their emotions were less "We're gonna miss you", but more "I can't believe you're doing this to us." this was very hard to get over, and has made adjusting much much more difficult. Now, I'm focused more on getting back home, then settling down and starting a new life.

*Long journey from Boston to Bangkok. Flew Cathay Pacific Airlines. The first part of the flight from JFK to Vancouver sucked as I was in between two big people. However, when I was at JFK, I asked if I was at the correct terminal, and the attendant gave me an aisle seat on my flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong, I didn't ask for this seat, the attendant at the desk just gave it to me, which ruled.. This was very comfortable. The food on this flight was awesome. I did not take advantage of complimentary drinks as I was rather depressed.

* Arrived in Bangkok expecting to see my wife, but she was delayed getting there as there is extreme flooding in Northern Thailand.

* Thai women are really hot. There aren't that many that aren't f__kable. For some reason they don't have calf definition.

*The average meal costs about 50 cents to a dollar.. The food is a lot better than I remembered from my previous visit.

* I can buy a really nice house here for $70k.

*For the common person in thailand, you get the impression that they're waiting to die. Just living day to day, meal to meal. To see this and experience it every day is somewhat hard.

* We took a train on the "Sprinter" from Bangkok to the north. (The sprinter averages about 40mph I would guess.) This trainride is absolutely amazing. Through the rainforest, get to see the country side, a town where monkeys run around the center, and other amazing scenery. Highly recommended to KKF and other's located in Thailand. The hostess on the train was f**king hot. Thai version of Jessica Alba. I couldn't take my eyes off of her ass. In america she'd be a model, in Thailand she works on a train.. LOL.

* As far as the culture shock goes... It sort of feels like I am always stepping in dog poop. Small errors that are inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Just a pain in the a**.

* Haven't played any poker. Not psychologically strong enough to handle a bad beat.

* Played some golf, for the first time with a caddie. A woman who pulls your clubs along with a cart. So strange to see them dressed in somewhat heavy clothing and strange headwear.-- Golf is not inexpensive--. However, using a driving range is very cheap. I may spend a lot of time at a driving range while my wife teaches during the day. it costs 75 cents for 50 balls.

* Traffic on these roads is amazing. Thai people seem to have a sixth sense of what is going on on the road. They are able to move a lot of vehicles through an area. I don't think I will be able drive for a year or so.

* I find Thai people to be very efficient. Very economical with their money. (They have to be.) Very efficient in modes of travel.. Trains, and buses are utilized quite well.

* The fruit over here is AWESOME. Pineapple, "lynchees", mangostine are all fantastic.

*Please PM me if you plan on being in the area. I will buy you a lot of beer. I think lstream plans on coming here to visit.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: x-post, Thai women have no calves, OT

What a great post. Keep good notes, as you are living through a highly unique experience. What is it with you and calves? When playing poker, look at people's eyes, not their calves.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is it with you and calves? When playing poker, look at people's eyes, not their calves.

[/ QUOTE ]Unless you're playing against William Rockwell.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:36 AM

I can relate to your family send off. I often think of how much it'd hurt if my kids were to move far away. The good news is, when your family and friends are a little crushed when losing a part of you, you have something money can't buy. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM

Great post, keep us updated maybe a quaterly review of your first year? I have a HUGE travel bug; I can't sit still. Asain is on my list. Just gotta pony up the sack to do it. I would love to visit.

Hope all works out well for you and your wife,
Joe
Old 05-31-2006, 12:39 PM

thailand sounds really nice. if you can really buy a nice house for 70k it might be worth it to me to one day buy a summer home out there.

when you say people are waiting to die, do you mean that they lack the motivation and passion that americans have? americans are always trying to get ahead and build up wealth and material things, are thai people not like that?

i almost want to fly out there and visit. if some 2p2ers want to take a trip out there shoot me a pm if youd like me to join you. id like to do some traveling but i dont really have anyone to travel with. i need to get my passport though so i cant leave until i do. lmk if you want to fly out together joe. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you say people are waiting to die, do you mean that they lack the motivation and passion that americans have? americans are always trying to get ahead and build up wealth and material things, are thai people not like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the opportunities aren't there for them, thawarting any sort of ambition.

[ QUOTE ]
i need to get my passport though so i cant leave until i do. lmk if you want to fly out together joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three things have detered me from travelling abroad. Too lazy to get a passport and I'm afraid I'll like it too much therefore resulting in many trips, costing serious $$. However, I'm a "get busy living" type, busto is no problem. I don't have anyone to go with so this is a serious consideration. We'll have to meet down Fox a few times and discuss it.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the opportunities aren't there for them, thawarting any sort of ambition.

[ QUOTE ]
i need to get my passport though so i cant leave until i do. lmk if you want to fly out together joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three things have detered me from travelling abroad. Too lazy to get a passport and I'm afraid I'll like it too much therefore resulting in many trips, costing serious $$. However, I'm a "get busy living" type, busto is no problem. I don't have anyone to go with so this is a serious consideration. We'll have to meet down Fox a few times and discuss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WARNING, getting a passport is dangerous. I am obsessed now with getting stamps from all over the place and, therefore, have spent a ton traveling all over the place over the last few years!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:04 PM

lol yah i can definitely picture myself getting addicted to adding to my passport stamp collection.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM

Beer,

great post and good decision. Leaving friends and family is tough, but leaving your woman is even harder. The key to surviving out there is to mix it up and establish your own space (get your own friends, join a club, learn the language, etc). Sounds corny but it's important to get to that point where you can operate independently. Enjoy the Thai ass...

- Mac