Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: nice lil oldie (bad larrys)

[ QUOTE ]
inthacup's Vegas trip report imo

[/ QUOTE ]

linx plz...

(yeah i know its a drag, i've put off finding and linking my favorite post)
Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 PM

BAD BEAT at the 10-20

I wandered down to the place by the lake, near the Shilo Inn, to
participate in a little 10-20. Here's what happened....

I get the 4-seat in what looks to be rock garden, but the fun is about
to begin. 3 hands in, I'm 4 left of the button, and this transpires:

I'm dealt bandanas. It's called to me, I raise it. Goes on call, raise,
call, raise, cap. Called capped all the way around, and I'm
thinking "Sweet!" Flop comes down a potpourri, and I've got the nuts.
Comes raised to me, I re-raise, winds up capped with *7* callers. Yes,
seven. I don't know what to think. I'm a little nervous about 6-seat.
I've seen him before, and he's a cold rock. I don't know what to put
him at. Wired handbags? Inside edge? Green Hornet draw? I just don't
know. Initially, I would've thought rockets... but he wasn't sitting up
straight enough.

8-seat is also familiar, but I know her style. I put her on Caracas
Maracas and not worry about her; she'll call to the river; free money.
2-seat's hands are actually SHAKING as he bets. He's obviously got a
Michigan going on, and that worries me a little bit... so I try to
scare him off and put him on tilt by pulling off the famous "try to re-
raise the cap". He doesn't fall for it -- not even a flinch. Could be
trouble...

I'm not even sure what I want to see on the turn. You're probably
thinking a black Pollyanna would lock this up, but keep in mind that
there are still a lot of unknowns going on -- it could easily help
someone else just as much.

Anyway, not to worry... the turn: RED RAG. You should've seen the look
on 3 and 5 seats. It was comical. Well, there's two gone at least.

Quick betting, and once again it's capped, but only 4 left. Me, 2-seat,
6-seat and 8-seat. Now it gets interesting. RIVER: black flamingo. Even
the dealer was amused.

It comes checked all the way to me. What can I do... I bet it. It then
gets RAISED... FOLD, FOLD. Yes! 2-seat folded. Man, I'd love to know
what he had. Anyone hazard a guess?? After the turn, I'd thought he was
trying to catch a flag coming off third, but clearly that was way off.
Anyway, that's a whole discussion on its own.

Back to me, and just 6-seat left. Me and him, mano a mano. Again, what
can I do? RE-RAISE! And, believe it or not, he RAISED IT RIGHT BACK AT
ME. What can you do?? I mucked it, and he took it down. I still can't
believe it.

Thinking back, there are a couple of things that come to mind. For one,
had I been a little more aggressive earlier on, I may have managed to
get myself all in -- and that could've forced a showdown and avoided
this whole experience.

Or maybe, when you've got 7 callers, you just know to get the hell out,
no matter what you have.

Let this be a lesson!!

Comments??

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambl...89bc0a9632871fb

Edit: Original thread I think:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambl...0854c5782a88f0f
Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 PM

BAM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

I played some hands for 5 minutes today. I ended up making some money, but I need to ask - is my BB/100 pretty good? I don't know. Sometimes I can just wave my hands around really fast then slap myself in the face a bunch of times, and my opponents cards just appear to me like some wierd vision. Even when my eyes are closed. Here are my stats for thismorning:

I guess it was okay. But not as good as veal scallopini, I love that stuff. Sometimes you just gotta go for the goal, and I think that marscaponi and liver sauce is okay for that. Its just about believing in yourself. I also told her that I wasn't really into Def Leppard, and she seemed to understand ok.

The thing is though, I got knocked out in the semi's and it was totally not fair. I had double faulted twice, which I agree, was my bad. But then this guy served one right on the line, but I knew it was out, so now I'm gone. But I walked over and asked the floor manager if there was a dessert buffet, and he just winked at me like "right on, brotha", so then I was happy.

So anyways, follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof. You know the rest.

-EEZama

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BAD BEAT at the 10-20

[/ QUOTE ]

omg...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:38 PM

(bump)
Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree completely about the broadway payoff factor (BPF) with both bad larry's and it's cousin uncle larry (KJ) which is not to be confused with cousin larry from the timeless sitcom "perfect strangers". here is a perfect example from a 5/10 game the other night at the taj:

i am in the BB with bad larry's suited (Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ). there are two limpers and the button raises. i don't like going upstairs to the third floor out of the blinds unless i have AA, KK or bad larry's (QJ), plus he is a loose spongey player who could be raising with as little as J9 (which i have dominated) so i "trizz it". the limpers fold and the button caps! oops. heads-up to the flop.

flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
not the best flop. i have a 3rd degree backdoor flush draw to the third nuts (i would need at least three extra rivers), a backdoor broadway draw and i might be drawing dead. so i bet, the button raises and i call.

turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] )
i look at the button player and he cracks a huge sh*t-eating grin. he must think that i have Ace-Larry (jack) and i think that he has top two pair...and he thinks that i think that he has top two pair...so i bet. he looks at me in horror...knowing what is going on and that even if the floor person came over and we both signed waivers to change the rules and he went all-in i would still call and he would still lose his entire stack even though he is a 94%+ favorite to win this hand since i only have 3 outs because he has the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . he makes a futile raise and i call.

river: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] )
well that is good news, if he already had a flush i now only need two extra river cards to make my flush and i have picked up a straight-flush draw as well (assuming i could convince the dealer to deal the ocean [6th card] and the abyss [7th card]...he looks kind of hungry so maybe if i get him a grilled cheese from the poker snack bar he will oblige).

anyway, i bet. the button raises. i 3-bet. the button 4-bets (takes it to the "attic"). i 5-bet (the "roof"). he 6-bets (the "sky") and i 7-bet ("heaven"). the button flips over his K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] asking me why i am not afraid of the flush. i table bad larry's and tell him "because i have THE NUTS!!"

the button goes on tilt so badly that the entire room becomes shifted at a 20 degree angle and a few of the drink girls fall over since it is very hard to walk in heels across a sloped surface. he then throws his hand so far across the room that it ends up 12 tables over in an omaha hi-low game. oddly enough it lands right between a queen and a larry and an 80 year old man flops a straight draw and two pair (larry's up) which becomes both broadway and a full-house giving him a huge helping of NUTS. the tilting goes on like a huge domino effect until donald trump himself comes to the poker room and personally "fires" all of the queens and larrys from of all of the decks.

anyway, i won the hand but i am kind of upset becasue i missed a bunch of bets on the turn and the river.

comments appreciated....
-tpir

p.s. if you were at the taj this weekend and you didn't see any of this happen, it's ok. your psyche has purged the memory, but when you start having bad larry's nightmares, don't hesitate to come to 2+2 for instructions on how to get the medicine you need.
p.p.s. upstairs.
p.p.p.s. nuts.

-tpir90036
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHWahAHAHA YESSSSSSSSSSS!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 PM

anyway, i bet. the button raises. i 3-bet. the button 4-bets (takes it to the "attic"). i 5-bet (the "roof"). he 6-bets (the "sky") and i 7-bet ("heaven").
Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
inthacup's Vegas trip report imo

[/ QUOTE ]

That and Rick Diesel's TR and "Vegas Planning" threads were awesome. Cup's is still beyond awesome.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:29 AM

its not a 2p2 post but i've always enjoyed this "how to write bad beat stories" essay
-------------------------------------------

How To Write Bad Beat Stories
Doron Singer

Many years ago, some caveman or another came up with the brilliant idea that “hey, fish don’t fight as well as dinosaurs, let’s eat them instead”. Thus fishing was born. However, fishing is about as exciting as an extreme aging competition in your local home, so to pass the time, the aforementioned cavemen invented fish stories.

Fast forward a couple of decades. Some cowboy or another comes up with the idea of robbing fish instead of trains, and invents poker. However, to the professional player (which everybody is, really. I dare you to find someone who’ll define himself as an “average” or “poor” player) poker is about as thrilling as quadriplegic racing, bad beat stories were invented.

Bad beat stories serve two purposes. A really good bad beat story serves to show both what a great player you are, and what a complete retard everybody else is. Moreover, because all poker players are hardcore gamblers who’d shoot you in the back for a pretty penny, the community as a whole is fairly distant, and the stories help draw people together, because nobody ever tires of hearing about aces getting cracked.
This article will help you master the fine art of writing bad beat stories, as there is nothing sadder than cracked aces going untold about.

The stakes have to be high.
Nobody is interested in what happens in penny ante games, and rightfully so. How much anguish can one derive from losing 37 cents? And if you don’t care, why should your audience?

No, the right way of going about things is to tell about astronomical stakes, preferably so high none of your readers has ever played in them.
“I was playing in the $50-$100 pot limit in the Belagio…” – Good.
“I was playing in the $5000 ante tables in Texas with a bunch of oil tycoons” – Better.
“I was playing for fun…” – Terrible.

The odds against you have to be irrationally slim.
Losing as a 70% favourite happens all the time (it can be proven mathematically; however, this is a subject for another article altogether). Nobody’s impressed by that. What you want to do is make sure your story features odds so amazing, anyone who hears it will immediately petition the Supreme Court to reverse that stroke of bad luck, as it offends both man and God in its hideous unfairness.
“I went all-in with kings, got called with jacks and lost to a rivered jack” – Good.
“I went all-in with Ace-King suited on the flop with a made nut flush, and got called by a bottom pair who proceeded to hit runner runner quads” – Better.
“I made a small bet with a top pair and lost to someone with a better kicker” – No.

The people you’re playing against have to be despicable.
Every story needs a good guy and a bad guy. Seeing as the position of “good guy” is currently being occupied by you, the other guy will have to settle for the less desirable role of “the bad guy”. What this means is you have to make the audience really despise the other guy, usually accomplished by making sure his move was so grossly inept and mathematically incorrect, the only reason he won was through sheer evil, and nothing more.

“I went all-in under the gun with pocket aces in the first hand in the game, got called with 57 suited and lost to two pair” – Not bad.
“I went all-in on the flop with aces, the board was AKQ rainbow, got called by 57 suited who also called my huge raise preflop, and lost to runner runner flush” – A lot better.
“I kept going all-in because those idiots kept folding to me, and then when I got kings I got called by Ace-Jack and lost because he flopped an ace. PP sucks” – Not as good.

Use as many poker terms as possible.
We earlier explained a part of the point of a bad beat story was to illustrate what a great player you are, in contrast to everybody else on earth except for Phil Helmuth. This is further strengthened if you make sure to use the obscure poker terms and names for anything and everything. Remember, if nobody has any clue what the hell you’re on about, there’s less chance anyone will doubt your story.

“I went in with bullets and lost to big slick on a rivered broadway” – Pretty good.
“I chiseled with hooks only to be double-trapped by wild billy and eat a spaz, of all things, on the jump. Those fish, I tell you” – Pretty damned good.
“I had two cards with the same funny picture on them, so I put some of the chips from my pile in the middle, then the other guy did the same” – Could use some work.

Those are the basic concepts. To help you understand them and put them to good use, I’ve included one of my own bad beat stories. Enjoy.

I was playing heads up in the final table at WSoP, which also happened to decide for US presidency that year. Because the dealer is a Sh’akr’a of mine, I knew my Ace-King suited would hit a royal flush, and I could tell from there my opponent’s got golden boys. So we went all-in, when suddenly one of the spectators took a break from molesting children, and said “sure, I’ll play. Will this trust fund for cancer research money do?”. The perplexed dealer dealt the turn and river cards, which gave me the absolute pure nuts. As I started grabbing the pot, the spectator, who in the meantime chain-smoked two packets of cigarettes and annihilated a tribe of Native Americans, revealed two Magic: the Gathering cards, yelled “I attack you for 20!”, hit me on the head with a hammer and ran away. When I came to, I was laying face-down in a ditch in Mexico with a large scar on my side, and scribbled on my forehead were the words “welcome to the AIDS club”. Damned fish.

http://www.parttimepoker.com/poker-h...eatstories.htm
Old 12-02-2007, 04:43 AM

wow theres a lot of stuff to read in this thread.

maybe sometime since u guys say its good