Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
they drank 5 light beers over 2 hours is defending it

[/ QUOTE ]

Did OP say this at some point?

I have a theory about drunk driving and DUIs.

Almost everyone has made bad/questionable mistakes regarding drinking and driving before. Everyone has had a few beers and driven when they probably shouldn't have. These casual drinkers (which is the category 99% of us fall into) maybe make a bad/questionable decision a few times a year if that much. This person probably isn't that dangerous and probably isn't going to get busted for a DUI. Not to say these people never get busted and never cause wrecks and that it is Ok to drive like this, but bear with me.

Now let's look at the drinkers. They usually drink 4-5 nights a week. Drink and drive almost every night and when the casual drinkers maybe drive when they should not, the drinkers drive when they are just [censored]-faced.

The drinkers are much more likely to get popped for a DUI because they do it more often, and are much more likely to be piss drunk while driving and therefore, much more dangerous.

My theory is this, the vast majority of those with DUIs fall into the second category.

Every single person that I have known IRL that has gotten a DUI has been in the second category. Therefore, if someone has a DUI, I am much more inclined to think they have a problem based on my theory. Now, if you have more than 1 DUI, forget it, you have problems.

GL to you, OP, but if you have 3 DUIs before 20, you are a huge degenerate drunk no matter what you say and you probably deserve the time and need some serious help. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM

No, but like usual threads like these change from the scope of the op into a more general discussion regarding DUI laws, and other situations like Bicycles Biatch. op deserves time, is a degenerate drunk, and probably an overall nightmare, but that doesn't justify 2.5 years in jail. He did not hurt or kill anybody, are people really suggesting that he should receive such a harsh sentence because he "potentially could have killed someone"? Have we really started handing out years in prison due to someone potentially doing something, as opposed to actually having done it?

DUI laws have completely [censored] on the principle of proportionality.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Every single person that I have known IRL that has gotten a DUI has been in the second category. Therefore, if someone has a DUI, I am much more inclined to think they have a problem based on my theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

This surprises me.
Like tuq, I have known quite a few people who got DUI's who aren't very big drinkers and happened to be pulled over at the wrong time when they were not that badly inebriated.

Came very close to happening to me one time and I'm about the weakest of the weak drinkers. Maybe 2 drinks about once a week, maybe twice.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM

no, you don't think he deserves that much time (obv you think that and I agree with you. I wasn't trying to debate how fair his sentence was) or you disagree with my theory?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, you don't think he deserves that much time (obv you think that and I agree with you. I wasn't trying to debate how fair his sentence was) or you disagree with my theory?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he didn't say that in the op, no he doesn't deserve that much time. Yea, your hypothesis definitely makes sense from a statistical, as well as practical standpoint. How you're saying that should impact DUI laws (are you? i'm not sure) is unclear to me however.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 PM

No, I'm not saying it should impact laws one way or another. Merely pointing out how I think about it.

Obviously I have no statistical basis for my theory and my personal experiences with those who have been busted for DUI have shaped my views on the subject. But I think that goes for everyone in this thread.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Every single person that I have known IRL that has gotten a DUI has been in the second category. Therefore, if someone has a DUI, I am much more inclined to think they have a problem based on my theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

This surprises me.
Like tuq, I have known quite a few people who got DUI's who aren't very big drinkers and happened to be pulled over at the wrong time when they were not that badly inebriated.

Came very close to happening to me one time and I'm about the weakest of the weak drinkers. Maybe 2 drinks about once a week, maybe twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% w/ Ding Dong. Face it, if you don't drink a lot; you don't drive when you do drink. Look at it this way, a cop pulls someone over for speeding. Do you really think it's the only time the driver was speeding?

How hard is it to say to yourself, "I've had 3 or 4 beers tonight, I shouldn't be driving."?

I drink a lot. I don't start to get a decent buzz until I have 7 or 8 beers; yet I know that I am legally drunk even if I have 4 or 5. I didn't start drinking until I was about 21-22, and I would be shitfaced after 5 or 6 when I first started.

BTW- For those of you w/ AAA, you can call them up and they will get a cab for you for free if you are a member. I think it's free for the first 2 or 3 miles and then a charge after that.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM

Would I be out of line feeling he got what he deserved if I told you guys that a drunk driver had killed my 2 year old daughter?

Does that change your feelings about whether he deserves jail time for a habit he is OBVIOUSLY not going to change?

Or is that still callous, unfeeling, and unreasonable?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm not saying it should impact laws one way or another. Merely pointing out how I think about it.

Obviously I have no statistical basis for my theory and my personal experiences with those who have been busted for DUI have shaped my views on the subject. But I think that goes for everyone in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger that. fwiw, I'd definitely agree that the majority of people who have been popped for DUI fall into the second category.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He did not hurt or kill anybody, are people really suggesting that he should receive such a harsh sentence because he "potentially could have killed someone"? Have we really started handing out years in prison due to someone potentially doing something, as opposed to actually having done it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I successfully resisted making a poker analogy here. Go garcia1000!