Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Recent Amarillo Slim news?

Oh, and one other point that I think it worth mentioning, for a guy who has spend this entire thread bad-mouthing Amarillo Slim I think it's a little strange for you now to argue how well liked he is. I think it's called, "wanting to have your cake and eat it too."

Or maybe in your case it's just having a personal axe to grind and not caring much how you do it.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 AM

Unfortunately I am stupid for not realising this thread is over a year old.

Retarded bumping douchebags.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"My god, I can't believe this has been bumped AGAIN"

LOL. So, naturally, your reaction is to bump the thread yet again. Nice hand, Sir.

"Also, I'd like to know how THIS conversation went"

It wasn't terribly complicated. I asked a poker player I know from Amarillo how long he's know Slim. I then asked him if Slim had a history of doing the sort of thing he was accused of. Finally I asked why Slim supposedly confessed and plead guilty. His answers amounted to the information I posted in this thread.

He did make one other point I didn't mention and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to bring it up now. He said he told Slim it would be a mistake to accept the plea bargain and that he thought he should fight the charge. He said Slim debated not taking the deal but in the end he decided he was just too old to go through it all when the alternative was what amounted to a slap on the wrist.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, my point wasn't that everyone in west Texas hated Amarillo Slim, my point was that there is a large sub-set of people in west Texas who are predisposed to believe that gamblers are sinners who deserve to be punished and it was reasonable for an 80-something year old man not to want to put his life in the hands of a jury that would inevitably be comprised, at least in part, of people who truly believe you've led a life devoted to evil.

If those odds sound good to you, please feel free to let me know the next time you're going to be in Las Vegas... and where and what games you play.

[/ QUOTE ]
5-10 to 25-50 NL holdem; ring, SH, and HU. Also blackjack from 100-2000 a hand, depending on the count. I welcome the action.

Since you seem to not be so up-to-date, btw, responding within 3 hours of a year-old thread being bumped is NOT considered "bumping". But glad to hear that some gambler guy put everything in perspective and set the record straight for you. Obviously, Slim would confide his deepest, darkest secrets to some random old gambler.

Also, he WAS well-liked, especially by those not completely in the know about him, which is most everybody familiar with him.

I was one who thought Slim was awesome...until I found out more about him, and obviously, about the molestation charges. I don't know him personally, and have no more ax to grind vs him than any other child molester who PLEADS GUILTY.

You're bad at this, btw.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Oh, gee, he's not impressed with my abilities at "this," whatever this is. What will I do, what will I do? How about something like... oh, I don't know... not care?

You're a guy who has somehow managed to get his pathetic ego wrapped up in hating a guy you don't know and have no idea of what really happened and you think I'm bad at this.

Fine with me. I think the version of events I heard was worth repeating. You want to reject it, big whoop. Neither Slim nor I nor probably anyone on the face of the earth gives a rat's ass.

By the way, which poker room was that?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Just wanted to point out anyone who uses the words "kid" or "son" when referring to someone who is not actually their child comes off as a huge tool. No seriously, every time.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
under the gun made the most sense, they had the the d.a. ready to testify that he himself heard the confession, yet slim gets a walk and a penny-ante fine. makes no sense. im just sayin'

[/ QUOTE ]
He got a very good deal, and there is no way anyone would turn it down. It could be partly due to his age and possible weakness of the case or lack of seriousness of the alegations. But people with wealth or influence often get off.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" grew up in amarillo and lived there almost 20 years. i have a pretty good idea what it's like. i can speak to the public's general perception of him up until the charges and generally speaking people were proud of him and glad someone would name himself after their rather obscure texas city."

As I think my post made clear, I'm talking about "preachers and deacons," not the guy who sold you pot when you were in high school.

And if your point was you believe there were churches that were supportive of Slim, here's my response: NAME ONE. Then give them a call and ask if you're right.

Unless you're talking about some random Unitarian who stayed there for a couple days when his car broke down I'm confident they'll be happy to spend as much time as you can stand explaining to you where you're wrong. ...chapter and verse.

By the way, my point isn't that they're evil people, it's just that they're people with real convictions and they don't include gambling for a living. They might even have been willing to set Slim free, but my point was I don't believe he can be blamed for not wanting to bet his life on a jury at least partly comprised of people who actually believe you're entire life has been devoted to sin.

What part of that is hard to understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

you also said that half the town were preachers and deacons. i assumed that was hyperbole on your part. if it wasnt i apologize for giving you too much credit.

you think there was some public witch hunt of slim where a town of baptist ministers were not going to give a well-known and well-liked gambler a fair trial and there's nothing i can say to change your mind.

your third hand information that originated by the man accused of the crimes probably isnt as reliable as you believe.

if you ignore the facts and rely upon third hand, unreliable information i can see how you draw your conclusions.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, gee, he's not impressed with my abilities at "this," whatever this is. What will I do, what will I do? How about something like... oh, I don't know... not care?

You're a guy who has somehow managed to get his pathetic ego wrapped up in hating a guy you don't know and have no idea of what really happened and you think I'm bad at this.

Fine with me. I think the version of events I heard was worth repeating. You want to reject it, big whoop. Neither Slim nor I nor probably anyone on the face of the earth gives a rat's ass.

By the way, which poker room was that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Full Tilt Poker, look for KidisHot2nite.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 AM

"you also said that half the town were preachers and deacons. i assumed that was hyperbole on your part. if it wasnt i apologize for giving you too much credit."

Congratulations, you recognize hyperbole when you read it. So how come you can't understand the underlying point?

"you think there was some public witch hunt of slim"

"Sigh" Since I clearly said that in the version of events I heard the charges were instigated by Slim's son and not by some "public witch hunt" should I give you credit for being intentionally obtuse or just lacking in reading comprehension skills?

Believe whatever you want. I wanted to put the side of the story I heard out there and I've done that. If you're so absolutely certain it can't be true then I wonder why you're not arguing with the prosecutor that gave him the slap on the wrist instead of me.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 AM

"Full Tilt Poker, look for KidisHot2nite."

Imagine my surprise.