Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Default $10 Turned trips facing huge raise

Should I be able to get away from this? Should villain be
given credit for at least a5 if not a full house through a set? Note:It's the 16th hand of the game, I've played 0 hands so far.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG (t1375)
UTG+1 (t1830)
MP1 (t665)
MP2 (t1660)
CO (t1190)
Button (t1620)
SB (t3710)
Hero (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls t100, SB folds.

Turn: (t400) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t1300</font>, Hero: ??
Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: $10 Turned trips facing huge raise

fistpump instacall. NEVER fold this.

Edit to add: the average $10 sng donk doesn't have a clue or care about how many pots you've entered.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:41 PM

I'm usually c/f'ing flop but you can't ever fold now.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM

I'm not weaktight or a huge calling station...i was 4 tabling so i didn't have great reads on anyone but his raise
seemed very fishy...i had a very sick feeling that i was beat....every time i get that feeling, whenever i'm not able to get away from the hand 100% of the time I've been beat when i called.

I just made this post because lately I've been getting into many tough spots like this, sometimes I'm able to lay hands down, but I think I've been calling too much lately when I know I'm beat.

I guess my question is; in these types of situations, should I go with my reads (which are often right [not always for making big laydowns, sometimes for big calls or steals] or still call praying that villain is just a low limit donkey?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guess my question is; in these types of situations, should I go with my reads (which are often right [not always for making big laydowns, sometimes for big calls or steals] or still call praying that villain is just a low limit donkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your read on this guy? If you're read is nothing more than a sick feeling that you're beat it's not a read at all.

It's not uncommon to want to play scared when you're running bad but you need to get beyond that and just focus on consistently making profitable decisions.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM

Hmm..You're right, I didn't give a very good explanation of the situation, I should have posted this hand after the end of my session while it was still fresh in my mind.
I guess saying I didn't have a read on him wasn't entirely accurate. My read wasn't solid by any means but at the time it seemed like this player wouldn't make any crazy post flop
bets or raises on a bluff.
Villain wasn't an EXCESSIVE limper, nor did I see him do anything crazy after the flop. [i'll edit the main post]

I don't play scared, poker lost much of its' emotional impact for me long ago.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Or not, apparently I can't edit the main post.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Generally if I make a set/trips I'm looking to get all-in. If villian has 88 for the boat, then, well, time to fire up another game. I might get away from trips on a 4-flush, 3 straight with high cards board, then again, I might not.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Im gettin it in here and feeling very good about it. If he had a boat he would prolly flatcall and let you hang yourself on the river.