Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Moving up limits when money doesn\'t matter. (NL and Limit)

I mainly play NLHE and usually play at 10NL or 25NL.

But I've been playing some other games on the side (LHE, 7CS, 7CS HL, PLO8, Omaha 8-lowest levels available (Stars)), and wonder what I should use as a measurement of when to move up.

Having enough buyins/BB's for the next level is already done due to NLHE.

So what's a good way to decide that you should go to the next level? ($ earned, buyins/bb's won,BB/100,BB/hour, hours played with a profit, etc...)

Thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Moving up limits when money doesn\'t matter. (NL and Limit)

Usually you should only move up levels when you have the certain requirement for the level.

If money doesn't matter (not sure what you mean here..you can reload/redeposit anytime and don't care if you go bust?) usually for NL games, 20 buyins can be considered the aggressive bankroll management level move up.

For limit games, again an aggressive bankroll management plan would be 300BBs. I prefer more along 500BBs if you want to move up though.

For stat wise, that's very situation dependent IMO. You can play limit games for months and only have a 1 BB/100 winrate, but still be a winning player - enough so to move up, same goes for NL. You can be a winning player, enough so to move up, but I don't think because you win say 15ptbb/100 over 2k hands means it should automatically result in a move up.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 PM

By money doesn't matter...

Let's say I have $300 in my account due ot putting money in/NLHE. I decide to play some 7CS to see if I like it/am any good. I COULD play $.50/$1, but I think that's a bad idea to start with.

So I go to a lower level ($0.25/$0.50 ,$0.10/$0.20, or $0.04/$0.08). Now, at any of those levels, I have enough money for the next 1-3 levels. So what should I base a possible move up in limits on since amount in account is not an issue?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 PM

Comfortability, short and sweet.

If you're playing decent in your own mind and are winning decently over a few thousand hands, then move up. If you don't think you're good enough for $0.50/$1, post a few hands of say $0.25/$0.50 in the Stud section and see if you're just unlucky for those few trivial hands or are generally playing bad. If you get positive responses, then move up. I don't think there is or ever will be a set winrate or money won over x amount of hours to say you need to move up. You cannot and should not move up unless you feel comfortable doing so. You can crush 50NL for $1K in a day, but if you don't feel comfortable playing against the 100/200NL players, then you shouldn't move up.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can be a winning player, enough so to move up, but I don't think because you win say 15ptbb/100 over 2k hands means it should automatically result in a move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, not to be a complete noob but what's 15ptbb/100?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 PM

15 PokerTracker big blinds. One PTBB = 2 big blinds

So it's 30BB/100 hands. If you're playing $0.50/$1 100NL for example running at 15ptbb/100, you're making 30bb/100 hands = $30 every 100 hands, etc etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM

IMO "moving up" need not be an abrupt transistion. Especially so since one of the top three considerations for whether playing at higher stakes level is a good idea is your confidence level.

My top three: Be a winning player. Have an appropriate bankroll. Be confident and comfortable(even during variance downswings.)

I recommend playing at a higher level a a minority of sessions and at your previously established "comfort level" a majority of sessions. You can play that way until you have established new comfort zones. I play at several levels myself and have found it is at least as much about my confidence as it is about my opponents skill level. Probably more.