Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Some serious doubts about pokerstars...

The problem with OP's argument is that it isn't even internally consistent. Even if someone wanted to accept his points for the sake of argument and follow them to their natural conclusion they actually contradict each other.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 AM

obviosly i came to the wrong place...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah Ha I knew you would eventually get something right.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 AM

Is somebody a losing player?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 AM

Jamie Gold won the World Series. OMG its rigged.

Sorry, but I can't tell what your other points are. They are just too incoherent. My understanding of the Raymer incident is that his account was hacked, and he suggested that he was somewhat to blame by chosing a less than random password. Other than that, you haven't provided any details for anyone to determine whether PS is somehow to blame or not.

If you have some insight, please share it. But a new or bad player winning a big tourney would only surprise someone who doesn't actually play poker. Its gambling.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nikstar winngin 46k off 300$ in his first ever online tourny on stars is OUT OF CONTROL

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, lets take a step back and think about this for a second. This should be the equivalent of trying to guess your opponents hand here, but the question is: Why does PokerStars run the World Series of Online Poker?

The answer:
1. Attract new people to their site with big payouts and bracelets, attempting to capitalize on the WSOP hype right now.
2. Convert those people who already use the play chip client into paying customers, attracting them to making their first real cash deposit.

Both of these results, if effective, should produce a lot of new people to PokerStars real money events... just like the WSOP in Vegas generates alot of new people there who are not used to throwing down $1,500-$10,000 to play a tournament. So it really should come as no surprise that there are people at the top of the list who have not recorded a lot of play on PokerStars tournaments.

This really means that their plan may be working a bit... and really fits with how PokerStars has grown from the beginning: Anyone can win, even with no experience. "Look, player x has never entered a real cash tournament, and just won $40k. Why don't you put your cash into our system too, and stop playing with those fake chips?"

Does this mean that PokerStars is somehow rigging these tournament newbies into winning? Uh, no. Look at the WPT or WSOP results from the last 5 years, and tell me how many of those players are professional poker players, and how many of them are green or even first time tournament players? They are FLOODED with newbies, which is why someone like Moneymaker and Raymer can make such a huge impact on this game: in poker, you can take an absolute nobody and in a week's time they have a real shot at being one of the most well known players in the game. (And I hardly think you can say WSOP or WPT is stacking the deck to make this happen...)

In the end, its very simple and requires absolutely no conspiracy theory, or hacker theory, or anything else Tom Clancy might write about.

Its just marketing, and business strategy. Plain, and simple. Make attractive events, attract more paying customers. Make more money.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you would find his favourite restaurant in “ten minutes of Google time.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Your maybe right, I only spent 2 minutes trying and found 3 separate articles stating his favorite food is Korean. Maybe I could find an actual name if I spent 10 minutes, but Im not going to try. Obviously you missed the point or chose to ignore it.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good job PS shills I will obey and even now am learning the PS mantra 'PS has great customer service, great security and FPP are better than RB'
Did I miss anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed that 'Full Tilt is full of bots'.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM

How often do you guys log into your account from a different computer or IP address?

If you email them they'll tell you they are able to see what IP address you logged in from, but if you tell them to not allow your account to be acessed except from "this" IP address, support basically says "it's out of their hands".

Yes it is out of their hands; it's at the mercy of the hackers now... Well played security team, I just find it ludicrous that a simple security measure, such as singling out IP addresses can not be implemented.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How often do you guys log into your account from a different computer or IP address?

If you email them they'll tell you they are able to see what IP address you logged in from, but if you tell them to not allow your account to be acessed except from "this" IP address, support basically says "it's out of their hands".

Yes it is out of their hands; it's at the mercy of the hackers now... Well played security team, I just find it ludicrous that a simple security measure, such as singling out IP addresses can not be implemented.

[/ QUOTE ]

You [censored] moron. Most ISPs will change your IP address from time to time, and most customers don't know if their ISP does this or not.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a complete moron. Raymer's password was very easy to guess by his own admission. It has been suggested that someone guessed over a long period to avoid triggering any suspicion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not even be necessary. I would think any celebrity pro's account would get attacked dozens of times a day from computers all over the world. This attacker's attempts might not stand out at all, in any case.

Additionally, people with weak passwords tend to use the same password for multiple things and the overwhelming majority of them are "top 100" passwords. If you know of twenty accounts (forums, email accounts, poker sites, etc.), you've got a good shot if you just try five on each of the twenty accounts. If that doesn't work on Raymer, try Negreanu. If that doesn't work, try somebody else. If you do get a hit, try the same password on other accounts belonging to that person.

One thing that *won't* work is to try to get the password from an employee. It's unlikely that any site with any interest in security would ever want to see players' passwords. They just need a hash derived from the password so that they can compare the hash they received when you set your password to the one they received when you tried to log in.