Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Default c/r flop with TPTK ; overcard on turn. now what?

Villain is 58/23/4 and I am 95% sure he bets this flop. But what do I do on turn? 2 draws out there now, but what did he call with on flop? Is it better if I just bet out on flop to keep pot smaller with such a vulnerable hand? Once I c/r flop, one more bet and I am pot committed.

Blinds: $0.15/$0.25
Hero: $25.20 and he has me covered

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, CO folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.9, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($9.9, 2 players)
Hero ?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: c/r flop with TPTK ; overcard on turn. now what?

It seems like you made this play with hopes that he'd bet and then fold to your raise. Do you have a particular read that this is likely to happen?

I'd rather check and call the flop. This way you are assured of some value and at the same time the pot stays small.

The problem with the checkraise is that it puts you in the middle ground - if you bet the turn you're either going all-in, you can play possum to catch a bluff (need a solid read for this) or you have to check/fold at that point.

That said getting all-in here isn't terrible if you think he'll call off 100bb's with 99, JT, AK etc. Very rarely do you find that player though.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:33 PM

I don't get it, why don't you just c-bet the flop?

I probably bet about $1.40 on the flop.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Betting out looks ok too. The thing I wonder about is how to respond to a raise - slam dunk all-in, call, or fold?

Betting and then calling a potsize raise puts hero in the same situation as the checkraise but without initiative.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like you made this play with hopes that he'd bet and then fold to your raise. Do you have a particular read that this is likely to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. My read on this guy is that he will always bet when checked to. It's the damn limit thinking. I c/r to get max value out of the hand, then realize I have almost committed myself to playing for my stack. I assume he will bet turn if I check, so I am calling him down with blank river (earlier I had induced a pot-sized bet into my 2 pair when I checked an A on the river and he had a busted draw). But I don't like the situation I have got myself into with 2nd pair.

Turn goes check/check (to my surprise)
River is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the board reads T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flush draw didn't hit, but straight and overs did. Don't know whether to b/f or c/c (since he usually bets with air when checked too), and how big a bet to call.

Damn I want a smaller pot now.