Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Parking in LA sucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i lived in hollywood for 3 years and in that time i spent over $3000 on parking tickets and tow yard fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine doing this? Did you just roll up to every red zone you saw? wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - living in Los Feliz (borders Hollywood), I know it's a heavily ticketed area but that's just really, really retarded and I've never heard of such a thing - it's like $50 if you have your car parked during street cleaning hours (the most common offense), double that for not paying on time... that's still pretty crazy to get to $3k. You must've done alot of drugs.

I actually didn't realize so many people paid for work parking in the LA area... eh I don't have much to add except that sucks for you guys.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a coworker who recently had to pay off about $3k in parking tickets. Basically they accumulated about 25 tickets and just never paid them. Finally, the car got booted and he had to pay a bunch of fines for a total of about $3k.

Stupid college kids.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM

have u also realized the sky is blue?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wilshire and San Vicente for those that know the area

[/ QUOTE ]

Literally a block from my office.

And parking in LA is way better than NY, SF, and Boston. I don't know about Chicago, but I bet Chicago is worse than LA.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:54 PM

LFS -

Like others said, those cities all have great, let alone functional public transportation systems.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about Chicago, but I bet Chicago is worse than LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I parked in downtown Chicago once (because of a messed up series of events) and it was $22 for 1 hour 4 minutes. Horrible.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 AM

I went to a mediation in Century City as part of my internship and was pissed because I accidentally parked on the wrong side of the street and the lot had a maximum charge of $16 (and I was going to incur the maximum), but then when I went across the street, I learned that actually parking underneath the building would have been $28, wowowowowowowowowowow.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 AM

I racked up like around 1500 in tickets when i lived in westwood. Parking is just 1 of many things that blows about LA. I've been here like 7 or 8 years and am going to move to another city next year and I can't [censored] wait...not sure which city yet but it will probably be Denver or Scottsdale.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like others said, those cities all have great, let alone functional public transportation systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever actually been to San Francisco?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 AM

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I live in LA to, whole f*ing life. Answer: pay the damn $110, what's the problem? If you play poker, the month of parking is probably 2 hands at the 5/10 game. It's probably less than 4% of your income to have a clean, dry, cool, close, secure place to park. I'm lost. New York, SF, Chicago, you'd be paying 10 times that
Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I live in LA to, whole f*ing life. Answer: pay the damn $110, what's the problem? If you play poker, the month of parking is probably 2 hands at the 5/10 game. It's probably less than 4% of your income to have a clean, dry, cool, close, secure place to park. I'm lost. New York, SF, Chicago, you'd be paying 10 times that

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I live in a decent neighborhood with plenty of spots on the street, and it's within easy walking distance of my work. Once I finally get a permit to park on my street, there will be almost no problem parking and I'll have $110 more per month. I only play live poker recreationally these days, so I don't think in buyins anymore, instead I'm thinking about what I could be doing with $110/mo. Either way, considering how close I am to work, it's almost easier to walk than drive my car through a couple singals then park in a 5 story garage. With this premit, I can literally park 1 block from work 24 hours a day (minus street sweeping times).

And yes, I know that it is cheaper than NY, SF, etc. I'm just comparing to my old home where going to the beach, Disneyland, or a sporting event were the only places I had to pay for parking. And parallel parking is rarely needed.

Oh yeah, so an update...their website says my car only needs to be registered in California, which is very different than their form says. My roommate is taking my registration down there today and hopefully will get me my permit. If not, he's getting me a visitor pass. So, later today I should hopefully have something settled.