Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 AM

Default 5cd sample size

Ok, how large of a sample of 5-card draw hands do you need to be able so get an ok overwiev of how much you are going to make (BB/100)
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: 5cd sample size

more than other games i reckon your win rate at 5 card limit draw is highly dependant on the quality of your opposition

assuming your playing roughly the same quality field i would guess that it is a very small number - say 5,000 hands or so before your win rate starts to reflect something close to your long term expectation

i kept stats manually at 5 card for a period of about 3,000 hands - what was truly startling for me was that i would win in a given session around 80% of the time - a session normally being 30+ minutes at a given table - over about 600,000 hands of decent winning at short handed limit holdem i won 54% of the sessions i played

limit draw has no variance

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-13-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: 5cd sample size

[ QUOTE ]
more than other games i reckon your win rate at 5 card limit draw is highly dependant on the quality of your opposition

assuming your playing roughly the same quality field i would guess that it is a very small number - say 5,000 hands or so before your win rate starts to reflect something close to your long term expectation

i kept stats manually at 5 card for a period of about 3,000 hands - what was truly startling for me was that i would win in a given session around 80% of the time - a session normally being 30+ minutes at a given table - over about 600,000 hands of decent winning at short handed limit holdem i won 54% of the sessions i played

limit draw has no variance

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

Truly Startling? Mason states in GT&OT that Draw Poker has the least variance of all the mainstream variations. Indeed, the reason draw is said to have died out, according to Mason, is that the suckers could not overcome the edge a skilled player has whereas Hold'em has a near perfect correlation between luck and skill, the fish win enough to think they can play and the experts get to pay off their mortgages.