Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: A great article on Kerry Wood

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about Kevin Orie?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the 3B that booted the ball in the 20k game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Was it a one-hitter, and that play was ruled a hit instead of an error or something?

The only thing I remember about that game was Derek Bell swinging and missing by like 2.5 feet. The others were only missing by a foot or so. I don't recall how many hits were allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's correct. It was a one hitter. Orie's ball was early in the game but should have been ruled an error. It was a ball hit a few steps to his left that went off the edge of his glove. Wood did hit one batter, so it would have been a no-hitter, not a perfect game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the game and we (the whole bleachers) stayed for about 20-30 minutes after the game chanting E5 to no avail hoping the scorekeeper would change it. FWIW, there was an E5 sign in the bleachers for pretty much the whole game hoping they would change the ruling. By far, the most fun I have ever had at a baseball game that did not involve playing or an obscene amount of alcohol.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: A great article on Kerry Wood

[ QUOTE ]
Dusty contributed with Kerry Wood, but the problems date far, far behind the pros at any level - even Single A. In travel and select ball, his coaches made him pitch on one day's rest after throwing a complete game. They would do this every other day for the entire season.

Kerry Wood was also forced to pitch back to back COMPLETE GAMES in a tournament.

You read that right.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No, neither do. Prior was well-managed at USC and in high school, and while Zambrano probably carried a heavy load while younger, there was nothing abusive to the degree that Wood experienced.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Allowing a high school-aged kid to throw 140 pitches in the first place is a huge [censored] deal. You really need to think about how damaging 140 pitches alone is, much less pitching AGAIN in the same day. It is 100% unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know anything about the differences in Japanese conditioning as compared to American conditioning? Do you know why Japanese pitchers "can" throw as many pitches as they do? Do you know the rate of flameout for Japanese pitchers as compared to American pitchers?

Tell me, do you know Kerry Wood's history in prep baseball?

You don't know anything. There are specific reasons why Kerry Wood was doomed from the beginning and why some Japanese pitchers (like Daisuke Matsuzaka) can throw as many pitches as they do, and most of it relates to conditioning and the specificity of training.

When you can even come close to answering these questions with any authority, please, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am hostile to you people because you are ignorant of the facts that led to his demise, well put into motion before he was even drafted. He pitched complete games every other day in prep and HS.

He was pitching severely fatigued. This is a big deal for young players with growth plates that are not fully sealed. That's all there is to it. If you are ignorant of these very simple and basic facts, you are an idiot.

I am civil in the first response and less so in remarks afterwards because it's pretty obvious that you both have little idea of what you're talking about, yet adhere to your ideas as if they carry any weight whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read through your series of responses and tell me how anyone should think you're anything but an [censored].

The conversation starts talking about Wood throwing in back-to-back games in HS. Then, you answer a legitimate question about Prior/Zambrano's history. Then you get confrontational and start whipping out your e-peen, demanding people be as knowledgeable about Kerry Wood's prep career. Finally, finishing it off by revealing information that apparently makes us idiots for not knowing.

Meanwhile, you have provided no articles or data to support what you're saying. Yet we should all accept what you say as fact because you're such an "expert."

For some reason, you seem to feel that every discussion or debate has to be a competition. Well, you win! You're more knowledgeable about Kerry Wood's career, and [censored] trying to help educate people in the 2+2 community (ZOMG, what this website is for). You wanna call us idiots for being ignorant to things you know? Well, I think you're the idiot who needs to feed his ego on aa off-topic poker forum.