Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Alcohol problem

Um, stop drinking?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:48 PM

what are you doing when you drink? are you at a party, and how much are other people drinking? are people pressuring you into drinking more, or is that just what you want at the time?

i've had this problem too - i'd try to monitor your friends or the people around you and drink as much as they are.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 PM

ya, i'd say stick to beer. If you do go with the hard stuff, keep it to a minimum and only drink one type. Last weekend is the only time I've ever puked from drinking and its because I did shots of bourbon and vodka. I felt fine until the vodka so I'm sure that's the reason
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are you doing when you drink? are you at a party, and how much are other people drinking? are people pressuring you into drinking more, or is that just what you want at the time?

i've had this problem too - i'd try to monitor your friends or the people around you and drink as much as they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally just at parties with friends, not huge parties, but like 12-15 people'ish.

I think that making myself stick to beer for a long time would be a decent solution, I'll try that.

I appreciate all of the advice. I do think that calling it anything close to alcoholism is a bit too far, but maybe I'm biased. To me, alcoholism relates much more to the frequency with which you drunk, but I could be wrong. Also, do note that I don't blackout everytime, just that its happened 4-5 times and I obviously think its bad.

Quitting drinking entirely is possible, but I'd like to think that I could avoid it. I don't blackout everytime I drink, just more often than I'd like. I also would like to point out that there are tons of college kids my age who have the same problem, but drink 2-3 times a week, and don't even consider it to be a problem.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also would like to point out that there are tons of college kids my age who have the same problem, but drink 2-3 times a week, and don't even consider it to be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ] Right...they're called alcoholics.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think that making myself stick to beer for a long time would be a decent solution, I'll try that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea. See how it goes and reassess.

[ QUOTE ]

To me, alcoholism relates much more to the frequency with which you drunk, but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd start by reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism

and then start reading the numerous articles about alcohol abuse/dependence among college students.

[ QUOTE ]
I also would like to point out that there are tons of college kids my age who have the same problem, but drink 2-3 times a week, and don't even consider it to be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether they consider it to be a problem or not is irrelevant. There's a reason that Step 1 is admitting that you have a problem ( -- most people that have a problem don't realize/admit/understand it).

A few things for you to try:
1) Go out and just drink beer. This will get you drunk more slowly, and fill you up more quickly (so that by the time you're hitting 8-10 beers, or fewer, you're stomach will want you to slow down for reasons other than the alcohol).

2) Go out, drink 3-4 drinks, and stop. If you don't/can't stop, you're at serious risk for alcohol addiction (or already there) [I hate saying things like this w/o a citation -- it's about all I remember from my alcohol class in college though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]].

If your goal is to get better at drinking hard, I'd follow the other recommendations of drinking less alcohol more frequently (speaking from my own college experiences). On the other hand, this might not be the best idea for you (or anyone else for that matter).

GL
Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I appreciate all of the advice. I do think that calling it anything close to alcoholism is a bit too far, but maybe I'm biased. To me, alcoholism relates much more to the frequency with which you drunk, but I could be wrong. Also, do note that I don't blackout everytime, just that its happened 4-5 times and I obviously think its bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

One major part of alcoholism is not being able to drink without getting very drunk. You are a textbook example of this. My suggestion is learn to control it, (have a drink or two with dinner on a regular night and just stop) or quit drinking altogether.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 PM

you seem to be doing fine. my only suggestion would be instead of drinking every few weeks do this around 3 nights a week.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:41 PM

I don't agree with the "just drink beer" suggestion, and I've heard it a lot concerning potential alcoholics. It sounds to me like he's predisposed to alcoholism as well and he's lucky that other factors have kept drinking such a small part of his life. You have to be in control when you drink, consciously in control. If you find that after a few beers you can't make the same descions(to only drink 4-6 drinks tonite) you desired before you started drinking, then there's probably a problem.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:34 PM