Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Looks like SD is screwed, Norv new coach

I think he is basically the guy who they feel is most likely to not screw things up next year.

The GM is comfortable with him, they run his offensive system.

There is alot of risk in bringing in an assistant with a strong personality or someone who wants to radically change the system. If the players dont like the new coach and its always possible with someone with no experience it might make a veteran team alot worse.

Im probably one of the few who thinks it was a pretty good hire. Its not like Norv ever had a chance to get a job with a team trying to rebuild. He's been offered jobs in places where the owner or GM knows he's a reliable system guy who is going to put in a good offensive system and not mingle too much in personell decisions.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget that Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those garden gnomes could have won the Super Bowl with that team.

In fact, the garden gnome would have won the Super Bowl AND had a better regular season record than Switzer did, because the garden gnome wouldn't have gone for it on 4th down from the Cowboys' 29 yard line, leading with 2 minutes left.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No...its the small 3 team sample size. Look at the Raiders, they got worse after Norv left! And Skins I guess were 4-12 prior to Norv taking over, so they got better. Funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

good comparison... Marty is 205-139-1, Norv is 59-83-1.

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully no more choke jobs in playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

good thing Elway's Broncos and Manning's Colts thought the same way and got rid of those chokers. Oh wait...

Norv has managed to get to the playoffs once in 9 years as head coach, and made a spectacular run all the way to the second round. I'm sure this was the right decision.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 PM

"I'm sure this was the right decision."

I'm not sure at all. AJ Smith made his pick and we'll see. He has been right so far so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, a lot of players have had career offensive years under Norv Turner.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

and Under Norv:

OC of SF 49ers - 2006
Alex Smith - 2890 YDS | 16 TDs | 16 INTs

Coach of Oakland Raiders - 2005
Kerry Collins - 3759 YDS | 20 TDs | 12 INTs

Coach of Oakland Raiders - 2004
Kerry Collins - 3495 YDS | 21 TDs | 20 INTs

OC of Miami Dolphins - 2003
Brian Griese & Jay Fielder - 2952 YDS | 16 TDs | 19 INTs

OC of Miami Dolphins - 2002
Jay Fielder & Ray Lucas - 3069 YDS | 18 TDs | 16 INTs

OC of San Diego Chargers - 2001
Doug Flutie - 3464 YDS | 15 TDs | 18 INTs

So lets see what he can do with Rivers, who has more talent than any of these dudes. Note this list doesn't even include Gus Ferrote, who made the pro bowl under Turner, and Aikman, who struggled for 2 years before Turner, according to Aikman, turned his career around.

Here's an excerpt from Troy Aikman's HOF induction speech:

I'm also honored to have Norv Turner here today as my presenter. Norv was my coach for three years. That's it. I started playing football at the age of seven and retired when I was 34. Of all those years, Norv and I were together for only three. Yet there's no doubt in my mind that if Norv Turner had not entered my life, I wouldn't be joining these men in the Pro Football Hall of Fame today.

He meant that much to my career and to the Dallas Cowboys. Norv came to Dallas as an offensive coordinator in 1991, my third season, and turned around one of the worst offenses in the National Football League, and gave guidance to a young quarterback who was in desperate need of some direction.

We went to the playoffs that season, and over the next two years won back to back Super Bowls. At a time when coaches are guarded about getting too close to their players, Norv proved you could be both a great coach and a great friend. Yet it's our friendship that is most special because it has endured long after he stopped coaching me in Dallas. He's the big brother I never had. And I thank him for having the biggest single influence on my career. Thank you, Norv. I wouldn't be here without you.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM

Wow, so it looks like if you want your quarterback to throw as many interceptions as touchdowns, Norv's your guy!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:51 PM

What did Alex Smith do in 2005?

What did Collins do after Norv left?

Name one year that Flutie had that was better than the year Norv coached him?

Fielder and Ray Lucas, no comment needed.

And the other guy backs up Grossman. I will repeat. He backs up Rex Grossman.

Gus Ferrote. In the Pro Bowl.

It appears that he gets the most out of his players. Can he help it that Collins is erratic? Griese is a head case? Flutie is a midget? Lucas rhymes with mucus? Fielder couldn't even back up Rivers, Bolts sent him packing (or was that Feeley, I dunno they are the same guy to me) so he's lucky to even make a team let alone put up those numbers.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Your optimism about having Norv Turner as a head coach is admirable, even if it is misguided. As a Broncos fan, I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM

I know you feel better about Broncos QB situation, Bolts got a second year starter too, but he's well ahead of your guy, and its seems like Norv is a good fit for him. Look, I know he's not Lombardi, but he knows how to run an offense, call plays, get the most out of his offensive talent.

Ultimately, I just think players win, and I see no reason to think that a young improving team that went 14-2 despite quite a few injuries, suspensions, etc, is going to do that much worse without Marty and with Norv. At the very least, a new attitude coming into the playoffs will be welcome.