Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 AM

Default steal attempt

i would obv fold if i didnt hit the four flush.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.50 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (6.50 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.50 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (8.50 BB - $34)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: steal attempt

ehh. This is fine. You are perfectly correct to raise on 3rd. You can;t fold the 4 flush on 5th St- I might even 3 bet if I thought he was weak- but given that this is $2-$4 I probably wouldn't. The only questionable street is 4th. I think you have to bet here because so many people defendn their bring-ins with total BS- say 1 small apir and then fold if you bet 4th and 5th.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM

This doesn't look bad to me at all. Not raising third is not even an option IMO. Once you go for the steal, I believe it is usally correct to bet again on fourth and fifth if you have any sort of hand at all, since many players will fold once the bet gets expensive, even with a smaller pair. And even if they do not, it is best to be leading vice checking and calling. Once you get to sixth, you are getting better than six to one on the pot plus implied odds so this is clearly a call.

You can't win em all.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM

I'd play it the same on all streets.

- Mac
Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM

I usually just check-call 4th street since he is almost never folding after you catch the biggest blank possible, and this way you avoid getting raised.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM

I think I play it the way you did.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually just check-call 4th street since he is almost never folding after you catch the biggest blank possible, and this way you avoid getting raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to lead out in this situation with the overcards, but I don't believe this to be incorrect either. The reason for the lead IMO is to win the hand on fifth with a bet. I think that it is tougher to bluff fifth if you haven't bet fourth. If he re-raises, I am gone. I am certainly not saying your way of playing the hand is wrong either. Against some very persistant opponents I will opt for your method. Just another perspective.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Standard.

If your opponent is at weak/tight or the type to "realize things" you can check 4th and still steal on 5th, your check will look rather odd since a bet should be mostly automatic here (but if your opponent is really good/observant then you shouldn't do this unless you'd actually slowplay here sometimes). If your opponent is just a random loose 2/4 player then I go ahead and bet.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:10 AM

You make a good point, but I prefer to keep hammering on fourth, as that will help convince the other guy to give up on fifth, and I'll usually want him to.