Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Quick. To tip or not to tip.

[ QUOTE ]
got home late last night on a flight that was late. Walked off the plane, the shuttle to lots C&D was empty and holds about 20 people. My girlfriend and I got on along with one person right behind us. The guy was very friendly and didn't wait to fill up. He could tell we had a long day and took us right to our cars. I tipped him and it was apparent he doesn't get many tips. He made my night as travelling was miserable up to that point and I think I made his.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago at the Honolulu airport. My wife and I were the only ones in the shuttle and the driver was very nice and talkative. He gave us some advice as to where to go in the airport, etc..., and helped us with our bags. It didn't even occur to me to tip him at the time (I was exhausted), but I felt bad afterwards.

Do people normally tip these guys?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM

tipping is unnecessary here;

lowes screwed u and the blind guy is just doing his job

like someone said above, just send him a beer or some food but nothing more
Old 05-30-2006, 07:11 PM

K. I didn't tip, offered him a drink and he declined. He seemed happy enough.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM

no tip, you're already paying him directly for the service...not like a pizza delivery man
Old 05-31-2006, 02:08 AM

[hijack]
I'm still on tilt from MemDay weekend...my fiancee and I were flying out to Vegas after work on Friday, so she had two duffels and a computer bag, and I'm pulling two hardshell golf club carriers.

The cab driver helps me out of the minivan taxi, so I give him $21 for an $18 ride. We get to the front of the curbside checkin line (I'm pulling the carriers up). I don't want to exagerrate, so I estimate the skycap moves them approximately 8 feet, takes our IDs, and returns with boarding passes and luggage tags.

We say thanks and head into the terminal, and I hear him behind me saying, "No tip? <whistles>" WTF? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
[/hijack]
Old 05-31-2006, 02:12 AM

offtopic,

if you use the curb side check in and are not disabled or whatever it is very, very expected that you tip. you're not just tipping on the fact that he moved the bags 8 feet. he is later going to have to move them back to the conveyor belts in the terminal and of course, you're tipping on the ability not to have to stand on a horrible line inside. not tipping the outdoor skycap is a dick move.

citanul
Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
got home late last night on a flight that was late. Walked off the plane, the shuttle to lots C&D was empty and holds about 20 people. My girlfriend and I got on along with one person right behind us. The guy was very friendly and didn't wait to fill up. He could tell we had a long day and took us right to our cars. I tipped him and it was apparent he doesn't get many tips. He made my night as travelling was miserable up to that point and I think I made his.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago at the Honolulu airport. My wife and I were the only ones in the shuttle and the driver was very nice and talkative. He gave us some advice as to where to go in the airport, etc..., and helped us with our bags. It didn't even occur to me to tip him at the time (I was exhausted), but I felt bad afterwards.

Do people normally tip these guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought it was standard to tip the shuttle guys.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
offtopic,

if you use the curb side check in and are not disabled or whatever it is very, very expected that you tip. you're not just tipping on the fact that he moved the bags 8 feet. he is later going to have to move them back to the conveyor belts in the terminal and of course, you're tipping on the ability not to have to stand on a horrible line inside. not tipping the outdoor skycap is a dick move.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well...tipping is total Paperboy Theory.

In a completely unexpected turn of events, the guy at Wolf Creek who greets people and puts the clubs on the cart prior to the round actually declined a tip. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]