Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

BTW lol at people not wanting Bonds on your team in that poll. I guess you don't want your team to win or you are a Red Sox fan (note this isn't a shot at Red Sox fan, but Ortiz/Manny/Bonds platoon,at LF/1B/DH) probably wouldn't work that well)
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW lol at people not wanting Bonds on your team in that poll. I guess you don't want your team to win or you are a Red Sox fan (note this isn't a shot at Red Sox fan, but Ortiz/Manny/Bonds platoon,at LF/1B/DH) probably wouldn't work that well)

[/ QUOTE ]

The question wasn't if the fans wanted their team to win.

Is it so unfathomable that maybe fans don't want a walking [censored] storm around their team everyday.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it so unfathomable that maybe fans don't want a walking [censored] storm around their team everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's ridiculous that fans don't want there teams to optimize winning.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, the general public believes there's new information about Bonds...there isn't...

[/ QUOTE ]

But it looks like there is - at least one of his perjuries is linked to a positive steroid test.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's ridiculous that fans don't want there teams to optimize winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Ridiculously expensive.

2) Injury prone. Like it or not, he's 43 and has has bad knees.

3) Defensive liability. Paying that much for a guy who you might get one, MAYBE two years out of to pretty much ONLY be a Designated Hitter doesn't make much sense.

You can win without Barry Bonds, as evidenced by the fact that he's never won a World Series ring. I don't think signing Bonds "optimizes winning" for every team, maybe no more than a few.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can win without Barry Bonds, as evidenced by the fact that he's never won a World Series ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a totally meaningless argument. There is obviously no player who is 100% necessary to win the World Series, and I can't even believe you'd offer up something so simpleminded.

Besides which, weren't the Giants like 6 outs away with a 5 run lead or something crazy? And didn't Bonds have the best World Series performance EVER during that series?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can win without Barry Bonds, as evidenced by the fact that he's never won a World Series ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a totally meaningless argument. There is obviously no player who is 100% necessary to win the World Series, and I can't even believe you'd offer up something so simpleminded.

Besides which, weren't the Giants like 6 outs away with a 5 run lead or something crazy? And didn't Bonds have the best World Series performance EVER during that series?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that. That was obviously kinda sarcastic in that the idea presented by Pudge was "OMG, you don't want your team to optimize winning by signing Bonds?!"

Bonds did play very well in that Series. However, my greater point is that handcuffing yourself with an injury prone defensive liability with a huge salary is the worst way to go about it, unless you're a team like the Yankees or Sox that can just throw money at their problems.

Teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Colorado, and the like don't win throwing money at players they can't do anything with in a long run.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Teams like , Minnesota, , and the like don't win throwing money at players they can't do anything with in a long run.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Twins at least, win because and in spite of doing this.

Because of:
Jack Morris
Shane Mack
Chili Davis

In spite of:
Tony Batista
Rondell White
Jeff Cirillo
Rubén Sierra
Ramon Ortiz
Sidney Ponson
etc.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was obviously kinda sarcastic in that the idea presented by Pudge was "OMG, you don't want your team to optimize winning by signing Bonds?!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I finally figured out the tone--I was lost for a while because it's sarcastic, but not THAT scarcastic, and...forget it. I am going to try to stop thinking about Bonds for a while so that I don't get tired of him until later.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 PM

I can't believe how many people (here and elsewhere) think they have some idea about the evidence the government possesses.

Federal prosecutors do not routinely set forth their evidence in an indictment. Indeed, the defense is often unaware of the most significant evidence until fairly close to trial. It's going to be a while before anyone has an informed view about how likely a conviction is (absent leaks, at least).