Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: ** Lounge Poker Talk **

[ QUOTE ]
Limit players.

Edit: I didn't even look at your bet sizing the first time. That whole hand is like LOLLHE. WTF w/ all the minraises?

[/ QUOTE ]

6-max equiv of poo-flinging obv.

I'd just stacked this guy for a lot just before, btw.

here's how I stacked him, some dumb hand, huh?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($91.95)
BB ($54.90)
UTG ($49.25)
MP ($84.85)
CO ($146.60)
Button ($49.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($5) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $145.1</font>, Hero calls $87.95 (All-In), UTG folds.

Turn: ($193.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($193.90) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $193.90

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4c Ac (flush, ace high).
CO has Td Th (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins $193.90. CO wins $54.65. </font>
Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM

OK, I have a poker question.

I am a limit player. Not great but fairly good or at least good enough to be in the winning column most of the time. It is a pretty rare month that I ever end up down. The only No-Limit I have ever played have been a few tournaments. Stuff like play money sit and go's, play money MTT and then one live tourney at Treasure Island which was like a $60 thing with 35 or so people. {Brag}Did OK in the live tourney taking third place. Worst part was my son was one the one to knock me out. He won the thing!

Anyway, My question is How do I go about learning to play No-Limit? I would like to try some no limit (I think) but frankly it scares me. But I keep reading how No-Limit is like an ATM and there are so many games out there it is hard to ignore.

I am hoping someone here can either give me some pointers or direct me to a post that can help. I am hoping there is some way I can use what I know about limit and easily apply that to No-Limit. Maybe there just really isn't an easy way to go from one to the other but that is what I am kind of looking for.

Oh Ya, I am a low limit kind of guy too. I am not doing this for make a pile of money but really more for fun and to win when I play rather then lose. No one likes to lose.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM

first, decide whether you want to try full ring or 6 max. Full ring is usually easier IMO. I'll give you some preflop hand ranges and pointers then.

Then you gotta decide whether you're playing short or fullstacked (I mean 40BB-60BB rather than 100BB; I don't mean shortstacking, but that is an option for you).

Next pick a level to start at. I'd suggest nl25, as it's the lowest level the game actually is anything like a real poker game. nl10 is just waiting for good hands and killing the tards - it's not very good for learning.

let me know what you want to dip into, and I'll give you some pointers.

I mod the Full Ring NL forum, btw. There's also a Limit&gt;NL forum under the Limit section at the moment.

Also, books worth considering are:

Phil Gordon: Little Green Book (though ignore his starting hand guides, they don't suit online games)
No Limit: Theory and Practice
Professional No Limit Holdem

The last 2 will make your head swim at first reading, but you do need these books.

Last: Limit is about good cards and small edges. No Limit is much, much more about implied odds and waiting for the goodies, and betting to make people get poor odds (and to some degree making decisions as easy as possible for yourself). To illustrate: If as an NL player, you give me the choice of playing AA UTG, or 88 on the button in a full buyin, 9-handed game, I prefer the latter. If I have 60BB, or it's 6-max, I much prefer the former. Why, because people usually have to have a better hand than AA to dump 100BB at FR, but that isn't the case when the stack is 60BB, or when you're playing aggro 6-handed.

Also, Cry Me A River did a huge post detailing all the good threads in 2+2, look for it in the Full Ring Forum.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 PM

I am more of a full ring kind of guy.
I guess I am not sure on the stack thing. I guess part of this should be that I do not have a lot of $$'s online right now and I do not see that changing soon with the damn American govt &amp;*&amp;^%&amp;()_%! Anyway, I see me more at really low limits just to get used to it a little, hopefully without blowing my very small online bankroll and maybe trying the no limit live thing when I have a chance.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM

If you're playing very low, I suggest only play AA-22, AK, AQs, raise from all positions, fold to any 3-bet with AQs,JJ-22 if the bet costs more than 10% of your remaining stack - if it's less you can call. Jam with AA-QQ,AK preflop if you're 3-betted. Always c-bet on the flop if it wasn't 3-bet unless the board is horrendous (if you have 88 and it's AK3, or 3 suited, that's horrendous), but give up after that if the guy ain't giving up and you haven't got at least a decent pair or draw.

That's a robotic way of playing that should be profitable but boring.

Another approach is buying in at 30BB, and pushing all in if you get AA-QQ,AK. I'm not kidding, this works at nl10 and less.

neither will teach you much, but will allow you to get used to the table, and build a roll in a safeish way.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM

probably more likely a better question for live players:

have you ever folded a winner intentionally? how/why?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing very low, I suggest only play AA-22, AK, AQs, raise from all positions, fold to any 3-bet with AQs,JJ-22 if the bet costs more than 10% of your remaining stack - if it's less you can call. Jam with AA-QQ,AK preflop if you're 3-betted. Always c-bet on the flop if it wasn't 3-bet unless the board is horrendous (if you have 88 and it's AK3, or 3 suited, that's horrendous), but give up after that if the guy ain't giving up and you haven't got at least a decent pair or draw.

That's a robotic way of playing that should be profitable but boring.

Another approach is buying in at 30BB, and pushing all in if you get AA-QQ,AK. I'm not kidding, this works at nl10 and less.

neither will teach you much, but will allow you to get used to the table, and build a roll in a safeish way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks DB, I really appreciate the help. Maybe if I have some time this weekend I'll try some of this!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 PM

ps. when you get in preflop with a middle-small pair, you're looking to flop a set. Otherwise, you're looking to flop top pair.

don't go nuts if you don't hit these, but c-betting 2/3 the pot on the flop can be profitable whatever lands if the table isn't tough. It also makes a good smokescreen for when you hit a solid hand. IF you only bet your good ones, it's way less profitable than it could be.

If I'm using any terminology you don't understand, just ask. I forget what's common parlance and what's pokerese.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Fish, I heard there's a website that's mostly about poker strategy. Forget the name, though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

DB's advice is pretty good. Also, Ed Miller's Getting Started book is a great place to, well - get started!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Fish:

It is very intimidating at first. But here is the BIG SECRET:

No Limit is WAY WAY WAY easier to learn than Limit, once you get used the money going all in.

1-- Download Poker Stove. It is incredibly useful.

2-- Think about it. If you are playing 3/6 live, you will on average, for a hand you believe you will win, spend 3+3+3+6+6= 21 dollars. If you are playing live 40 max, you will be putting in half your stack when you have a winner. Once you get the big stack, the game starts becoming super fun.