Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Having a hard time making profits

While you're learning, it's helpful to play tighter and watch others play while you wait for hands. This way you can rely more on the strength of your starting cards than on your amazing PLO abilities you don't quite have yet. CMYR has them and can play virtually any VPIP he wants and get away with it at these stakes, cause he doesn't need solely the strength of his cards.

I don't know whether you play full ring or 6max, but you said you don't like limping QQxx. Which tells me that you're probably playing too passive when you're in a hand. At 6-max for sure if you have position on a couple other limpers, you can def raise QQxx a lot of the time. That way when you flop a set, and they all fold, your pot will be bigger. If you're playing tight, you have to be willing to back up your good hands when you get them. If you're playing loose, stop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My advice would be to only play hands w/ all 4 cards working together from any position but the button - play 3 cards working together. Two+ tables at a time so it's not as boring. Fit or fold on the flop. Pick your spots to c-bet, shut down if called. Bet 2/3 pot anytime it's been checked to you twice (bet one time - don't get carried away). And work on your postflop skills (reading the board, reading hands, bad boards to c-bet, betting patterns, etc.)

Edit: FWIW, I moved up from .25/.50PLO to .50/1PLO playing a lot like this, and am working towards 1/2PLO. CMYR would own me in a HU match.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:49 AM

Note that raising QQxx is the opinion of above author. I only raise it if xx works well with QQ. I also throw it away if I'm in early position
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 AM

LOL throwing away QQ in an unraised pot.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL throwing away QQ in an unraised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
What an informative post. I don't play bad hands OOP. I play QQ mostly for set value, and this is best done by calling a raise on the button from some early position raiser.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the number one skill in PLO is money management and tilt control. Okay, the top two skills in PLO are money management and tilt control. You need to accept that you can play perfectly and lose, and that you can play terribly and win. Long break even stretches happen. You just need to focus on playing well, and if you play well the results will get there.

Stealing pots becomes more important as your opponents start calling less. Value betting made hands and playing draws well is important when your opponents call more. Knowing what kind of game you're in and playing appropriately is important, because of this.

PLO can be a really frustrating game. I remember when I first decided to give grinding a shot, and I was playing the .10-.25 game on party and I broke even for my first 20k hands... I was pretty convinced I just wasn't very good, but I went back at it every morning, reviewing the last night's session, checking my equities and my lines, and eventually that little swing turned around and I started winning some 50-50s.

I had a bad first session this month and that made me play bad for my next few sessions, and suddenly I was stuck 35k. Sometimes you need to move down to rebuild your confidence; sometimes you just need to make sure you're playing focused. Being able to get up from a table when you know you aren't playing your A game can be very important; but you can still lose alot of money playing your A game. It's the nature of poker, and of PLO in particular, and it's something you've got to learn to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.

I put in a solid 30k hands or so in September, and I was constantly blown away by how many special and unique ways you can get completely screwed over in PLO vs NLHE.

I got exponentially better with every 5k hands I have played, and I'm hoping for big things in October.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM

Nice post jpg [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Maybe you didn't understand my other post, because I play pretty much any JJxx to AAxx like I'd play medium pocket pairs in holdem: I limp or call a raise in position and hope I hit a set (or something with my xx). Recently I've tried raising more with these kind of hands so I'm not put on AA every time I raise, and I can get a nice pot if I hit.

You described pretty much how I play post flop. If I raised preflop and I'm against only 1 or 2 players I'll take a stab at orphan pots on boards like 922 rainbow, or if I haven't raised preflop a lot at that table I try and represent aces that triple on the flop.
I'll check the flop unless I hit a set, top 2 pairs, nut flush draw or combo draw...depending on position of course, and I usually play agressive postflop(I think my agression factor is about 3).
I'll call with draws that give me good pot odds and sometimes implied odds (NFDs have almost no implied odds since people are so scared of the third suited card).
I'll sometimes reraise preflop raisers with 5% PFR that cbet on a scary board, or players who bet small when they have a mediocre hand...they usually go away and I take a small but pleasant pot.

The only thing I don't do is to take a stab at pots that are checked around to me until the turn, so I'll try to incorporate that into my play style. Playing more in position is definately one of my goals [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Reading your posts you appear to have some idea about the game. From that I would say just keep playing and you'll probably start winning more at the micro stakes. That goes for anything up to 50PLO, where there is still a large number of clueless players. I can't speak for higher limits than that.

Are you sure you have an AF of 3? I'd like to see some SS of your PT stats that tell you that.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Actually, it's more like 2.5 AF >_>
I'd probably have a bit more if I didn't become such a calling station when I'm losing :P

I got PTO when my bankroll was at it's peak, 120$. Now it's sitting at 105$.

I don't know how to get PTO to draw graphs, though...can someone teach me? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 PM

CMYR; I am also new to PLO and your advice is really appreciated
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM

It's a separate software.

http://overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/PokerGrapher