Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: xorbie
Exactly what I expected 5 20.00%
Pretty much what I expected 2 8.00%
Kinda what I expected 5 20.00%
Not really what I expected 6 24.00%
Definitely not what I expected 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Primaries

[ QUOTE ]
You offer all these reasons like Ron Paul has a legitimate chance to become President. In reality, he has no more chance than I do, sorry to say.

In terms of "sending a message" to the Republican Party, there is probably nothing that would be as effective as Ron Paul getting a shockingly high level of support in the primaries. They understand why people support him and that he represents a break from the nanny-state turn the party has taken in recent years. If you want a sane Republican Party again, this is definitely the message you want to send.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM

I'll definately be out voting for Ron Paul when my states primary rolls around.

One thing I'd like to add -- and it is just a guess of course at this point but -- IMO the most likely ticket combos for the republicans are either Gulianni/McCain or Thompson/McCain. And on the democrat side I'd guess they would be either Clinton/Richardson or Obama/????. The vp usually doesn't control a whole lot of policy issues but we need only look at the current situation with Cheney to see that it is possible, so make sure you watch who the candidates select as their running mate it could make a difference for us too.

Oh and Engineer congrats on the new position with the PPA!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Engineer, let's face it, any Democratic candidate will be demonized in such a way that the FOF crowd will turn out in bunches. The fact has become that the FOF have taken over your beloved party and the Libertatian wing has been marginalized in such a way that they have absolutely no say. You guys can keep pissing in the wind about how great Ron Paul and his libertarian ideas are, but until you realize how insignificant he is in this race, you are wasting your time.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Where is the libertarian wing going to go? Not to the democrats, to which we oppose on more issues.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Engineer, let's face it, any Democratic candidate will be demonized in such a way that the FOF crowd will turn out in bunches. The fact has become that the FOF have taken over your beloved party and the Libertatian wing has been marginalized in such a way that they have absolutely no say. You guys can keep pissing in the wind about how great Ron Paul and his libertarian ideas are, but until you realize how insignificant he is in this race, you are wasting your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think they'll be as enthusiastic to vote for Giuliani vs. Obama or Edwards as they'd be to vote for Huckabee vs. Clinton? No difference at all?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Many Democrats are already raising concerns over what they've dubbed the "Hillary Effect" (I don't just make this stuff up or write my opinions as fact....I actually research it, at least to some degree):

http://politics.wizbangblog.com/2007...ary-effect.php

[ QUOTE ]
Indiana Dems fear Hillary effect
Some Indiana Democrats are afraid of the effect nominating Senator Hillary Clinton might have on the down-ticket in their state, reports Mike Smith for AP

Crooks' concerns were included in a recent national Associated Press article that said many Democrats quietly fear Clinton at the top of the ticket could hurt candidates at the bottom. They also said Clinton might be too polarizing for much of the country, will jeopardize the party's standing with independent voters and give Republicans a stronger reason to vote.....

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293025,00.html

[ QUOTE ]
Democrats Weigh Effect of Hillary Clinton Down the Ballot
Sunday, August 12, 2007

WASHINGTON — Looking past the presidential nomination fight, Democratic leaders quietly fret that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton at the top of their 2008 ticket could hurt candidates at the bottom.

They say the former first lady may be too polarizing for much of the country. She could jeopardize the party's standing with independent voters and give Republicans who otherwise might stay home on Election Day a reason to vote, they worry.

In more than 40 interviews, Democratic candidates, consultants and party chairs from every region pointed to internal polls that give Clinton strikingly high unfavorable ratings in places with key congressional and state races.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM

The Religious Right will oppose whomever the Democratic party runs. The Democratic nominee will have plenty of issues which those folks disagree with. Attack/scare ads will be run, sermons will be given in church, pamphlets will be put on windows. Hillary would seem the easiest to trash, but I believe after they get done with Obama or Edwards the difference would be negligible.

If you guys want to put your libertarian philosophy ahead of poker, I totally understand that. But let's not act like we have much, if any, hope to convert the Republican party. That train has done left and its driven by social conservatives. I believe our best hope comes in getting the social liberals in our corner.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM

For the record, I agree with the Indiana Democrats. I think Hillary's negatives are too high and she is too risky to nominate, in what should be a landslide year for the Democrats.

I guess I am concerned that some of you are holding onto hope that we can win this by supporting the last standing Republican to support us. The trouble is the guy is seen as a wackjob and is ignored, ridiculed, and scorned by his own party. If Hillary is going to be the nominee, which many think is inevitable, I could see her getting behind us.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I agree with the Indiana Democrats. I think Hillary's negatives are too high and she is too risky to nominate, in what should be a landslide year for the Democrats.

I guess I am concerned that some of you are holding onto hope that we can win this by supporting the last standing Republican to support us. The trouble is the guy is seen as a wackjob and is ignored, ridiculed, and scorned by his own party. If Hillary is going to be the nominee, which many think is inevitable, I could see her getting behind us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you replying to something different than my OP? Sorry, but I'm not following your thought process at all. What is it you're suggesting as an approach (I'm not asking for your opinion of what we should not do....I'm asking what you think we should do)? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 PM

I believe we need to identify the Republican party as the enemy. I would like to see us become to the Democratic Party as the NRA is to the Republican Party.