Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 08:56 AM

Default All in in the Big Blind

Ok
Please settle this one for us

Tournament poker...blinds are 400-800
The Big blind who has 1200 left announces he is allin before the cards are even dealt...allin blind so to speak. Other players tell him he cannot do this and must wait until the action gets to him.

Roberts rules say that once you post the big blind that is your bet for that round and you are not allowed to raise until its your turn to act.

One of our players is insisting since the rules dont specifically address this situation its unclear.

My thinking is this....

Before you are dealt cards everyone must either bet or not. In NL holdem only the two blinds have to post a bet (SB and BB) Everyone else does not have to post a bet pre-deal. Once the cards are dealt UTG has the right of opening the betting for the pre-flop round
Once it gets back to the BB he can do whatever he likes.
The only problem with this logic is that other players not in the blinds "pre-deal" are allowed to go allin blind.

Is there any further clarification on this rule anywhere?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: All in in the Big Blind

This is definately not allowed.
He is acting out of turn and influences action in front of him. He discourages players from stealing his blind with low cards because they know he will put all his chips in anyway. Only person allowed to announce all-in predeal would be utg as he opens the betting.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is definately not allowed.
He is acting out of turn and influences action in front of him. He discourages players from stealing his blind with low cards because they know he will put all his chips in anyway. Only person allowed to announce all-in predeal would be utg as he opens the betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Where is documentation of this rule is my question?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 AM

Think about it this way: The blinds are really opening the betting for the prescribed amounts. Everyone else acts in turn. No player can announce an "allin blind" bet until action passes to them. The blinds have the last action so when it gets back to the BB he can then go all in, no matter what the action was before him.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Acting out of turn has consequences according to Robert's Rules and most cardroom rules. The consequence is that if it is done deliberately on a regular basis you can get a warning, a penalty or ultimately disqualification.

Another consequence is that your bet will be binding if there is no action in front of you. Sometimes betting out of turn is angle shooting which means the guy betting is looking for reactions to his deliberate statement out of turn. The word "may" is used in the rule so it is a subjective call by the tournament director because sometimes guys make this error accidentally.

In your case, it is common for that BB to go all-in with any two cards since he only has a half bet remaining behind so I see nothing wrong with his blind all-in bet. Sure technically it is against the rules but I don't think he is angle shooting or doing anything that would affect the integrity of the game.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In your case, it is common for that BB to go all-in with any two cards since he only has a half bet remaining behind so I see nothing wrong with his blind all-in bet. Sure technically it is against the rules but I don't think he is angle shooting or doing anything that would affect the integrity of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can he expose his cards when he does it, also?

The point being, if an action adversely affects an outcome in favor of a player, and everyone in the tourney has a stake in the "proper" outcome occurring.... then don't allow a verbal out of turn all-in.

My ruling would be: warning first time, all-in is binding when action comes to the BB, action starts with UTG first.

Repeated problems- all-in is binding, offender finishes the hands and then serves a penalty for a round +2 (meaning, you miss a whole round and can't play until you're in the cutoff). That costs him 2 BB with no chance to play the cards, making up for the money he gained by angleshooting.

Soften as you choose.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point being, if an action adversely affects an outcome in favor of a player, and everyone in the tourney has a stake in the "proper" outcome occurring.... then don't allow a verbal out of turn all-in.

My ruling would be: warning first time, all-in is binding when action comes to the BB, action starts with UTG first.

Repeated problems- all-in is binding, offender finishes the hands and then serves a penalty for a round +2 (meaning, you miss a whole round and can't play until you're in the cutoff). That costs him 2 BB with no chance to play the cards, making up for the money he gained by angleshooting.

Soften as you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose you raised pre-flop and the button called you. Everyone else folded. The flop comes out and as you are getting your chips together the button says "make it 2000..." Now his action is not binding because he acted out of turn but still it would have an effect on you. You decide to check and then the button checks. In effect his angle shoot got a free card for him.

I think we could all agree this is cheating and certainly unethical. I think the BB allin pre-deal move is no different. Suppose he had the table covered and does this move everytime he is in the big blind. It allows him to steal the pot and force someone else to catch a hand to beat him and nullify's his positional disadvantage. Thats just wrong and that is why I agree.
I could not find any actual documentation referring to this rule but it seems reasonable to disallow it.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 PM

In our game, I don't even worry about this. If the BB is stupid enough to act out of turn with an all-in bet, it's binding and that's it.

All he's accomplishing is possibly reducing the field and his potential pot. If he's that short in the BB he's probably going all-in with any two cards anyway, so it would be in his best interest to just wait his turn and see if he can get any limpers into the pot too.

I think at this point he needs all the chips he can get, so if he wants to scare out potential money then he's really the only one losing here.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 PM

The more I think of this the nittier I think you are. Why would you guys even discuss this? I don't get it.

Before action even begins, the BB is getting 3-1 on his remaining 400 chips. Is there anyone at the table who honestly thinks he's folding here anyway? For every limper his odds go up 2-1.

Yes, technically it's a rule violation, but who cares at that point? I'm pretty tight with the rules, but to even discuss this situation is rather ridiculous (IMO).
Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soften as you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose you raised pre-flop and the button called you. Everyone else folded. The flop comes out and as you are getting your chips together the button says "make it 2000..." Now his action is not binding because he acted out of turn but still it would have an effect on you. You decide to check and then the button checks. In effect his angle shoot got a free card for him.

I think we could all agree this is cheating and certainly unethical. I think the BB allin pre-deal move is no different. Suppose he had the table covered and does this move everytime he is in the big blind. It allows him to steal the pot and force someone else to catch a hand to beat him and nullify's his positional disadvantage. Thats just wrong and that is why I agree.
I could not find any actual documentation referring to this rule but it seems reasonable to disallow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no leniency for someone who acts out of turn. Either way, their bet is binding. You are going to have to use your judgement in assessing warnings/penalties. In OP's sitaution nothing need be done...

In the quoted situation where Button announces all-in out of turn, that bet is binding and Button should get a warning. The next infraction would be a penalty (a round or 10 minutes, or whatever your house rule is).

One other type of out-of-turn action that piss me off: EP is deciding what to do and MP folds out of turn. That type of play warrants the warning/penalty because it benefits EP by improving his postional disadvantage.