Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Boras got ARod more than anyone else would have. I also think that, if Boras had played it differently, he'd have gotten ARod more.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree but would other agents have misplayed the pre-opt out as badly as Boras did?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand why you think Boras misplayed this. He got his 32 year old client the biggest deal in MLB history and a raise. Do you really think the Yankees would have given him more money just because they felt like it if he hadn't opted out? (I'm not sure this is your argument but that sounds like what you are contending.)

He was still under contract for two more years, IIRC, and was coming off a MVP caliber season. The opt out forced the Yankees to sign a ridiculously long deal if they wanted to keep him. If they didn't he would have free agency to seek a comparable deal. No one was realistically going to pay 350 million dollars.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 AM

As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in the pre opt out days, if A-Rod opts out, it's a disaster for both the Yankees and A-Rod. That's nearly what happened, although both have come to their senses and are trying to get a deal done. Regardless, this is a clear loss for, the Yankees, A-Rod, and Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Boras got ARod more than anyone else would have. I also think that, if Boras had played it differently, he'd have gotten ARod more.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree but would other agents have misplayed the pre-opt out as badly as Boras did?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand why you think Boras misplayed this. He got his 32 year old client the biggest deal in MLB history and a raise. Do you really think the Yankees would have given him more money just because they felt like it if he hadn't opted out? (I'm not sure this is your argument but that sounds like what you are contending.)

He was still under contract for two more years, IIRC, and was coming off a MVP caliber season. The opt out forced the Yankees to sign a ridiculously long deal if they wanted to keep him. If they didn't he would have free agency to seek a comparable deal. No one was realistically going to pay 350 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh lol

if the yankees didnt come to an agreement before the 10 days are up then he opts out and the yankees can stick with what they said or bid with other teams.

he didnt get 10 years because he was a free agent lol. he would have gotten it preopt out...the only difference is there was no market for him like Boras and probably even the yankees thought there might be.

prior to the opt out this could have been speculated but u dont know...so there is that sense of worry about what if he hits the market. this creates leverage. Boras didnt even try to use that to make the yankees pay 30 million + per year.
why? because he truly believed there would be a lot of bidders for Arod's services who would either make a outragous offer or simply force the yankees to match team boras' demands. there weren't.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a loss for Arod or Boras, though? Boras got his client a deal that will pay him until he's 42 at possibly the highest salary in the league. Did anybody really think he would get 30-35 million a year? I don't know that much about baseball contracts but that seems like a very unrealistic number.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yes.it would have been very possible for Boras to get the yankees up to 10 years 300 million pre-opt out. Hell the extra 20-30 million from texas is an extra 2-3 million per year. now in the grand scheme of things who cares about a extra 30 million when yr getting 270 million...but in strictly agent/negotiating sense...this was a key mistake by Boras....especially since he also made his client look bad in the process of opting out.

given what the market ended up looking like for Arod...the only chance of this happening was in the 10 days pre opt
Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 AM

except the yankees didn't believe any other team would give A-Rod what he demanded. A-Rod opted out and obviously there was a lot of interest that A-Rod would've been gone, getting a similar offer from other teams, so the Yanks had to pay to re-up to keep him because they need him more than vice versa. I bet once they explored the market for other 3Bs that was increasingly evident to Cashman.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh yes.it would have been very possible for Boras to get the yankees up to 10 years 300 million pre-opt out. Hell the extra 20-30 million from texas is an extra 2-3 million per year. now in the grand scheme of things who cares about a extra 30 million when yr getting 270 million...but in strictly agent/negotiating sense...this was a key mistake by Boras....especially since he also made his client look bad in the process of opting out.

given what the market ended up looking like for Arod...the only chance of this happening was in the 10 days pre opt

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this though? If there was no market after he opted out, why would there be one that frightened the Yankees so before? You seem adamant that all of the sudden the market changed but why? The only thing that changed was that Boras came out and said he wanted a 350 million deal. The Yankees clearly know enough to know that, even though there are some stupid teams out there, no one was going to give him that deal.

A-Rod is 32, plays 3b and likely can't go back to SS. His "chocking" in the play offs would likely have mattered to the teams stupid enough to pay the 350 million. He was never going to make 30-35 million per and Boras knew it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited to add, aren't there some incentives in this proposed contract that would bump it up to around 300 mill anyway?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this though? If there was no market after he opted out, why would there be one that frightened the Yankees so before? You seem adamant that all of the sudden the market changed but why? The only thing that changed was that Boras came out and said he wanted a 350 million deal. The Yankees clearly know enough to know that, even though there are some stupid teams out there, no one was going to give him that deal.

A-Rod is 32, plays 3b and likely can't go back to SS. His "chocking" in the play offs would likely have mattered to the teams stupid enough to pay the 350 million. He was never going to make 30-35 million per and Boras knew it. At least that's my opinion.

Edited to add, aren't there some incentives in this proposed contract that would bump it up to around 300 mill anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

because only the Yankees could inflate the market...if its Giants vs. Angels arod isnt getting 270 million. but if its LA + SF + NYY + plus a couple of pretenders he could get well above it.

The Yankees assumed that if he went into the market Boras would use the other teams to make his price go up to something nutty. I don't they were convinced that this would happen but it was certainly possible and they wouldnt have taken the chance and given Arod what he wanted-see posada/rivera. So Arod probably could have gotten 10 years: 300 plus revenue from HR 800 etc.

Why do i think this? because the yankees were fully prepared to give Arod 275 for 10 years. add a bit more per year given Arod has more leverage pre opt out + 21 or 30 million and you've got a better contract.

The bigger question is why did the Yankees agree to do 275 for 10 when they could have easily done 250-10 etc given the lack of a market for Arod post opt out
Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 AM

lol to the post above me
Old 11-18-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol to the post above me

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing to lol at is the fact that Vyse is so [censored] stupid he thinks 275m + 21 m + HR revenue + good image < 275 million + HR revenue + pissing off media/NYY fan base/and just looking like an ass in general.