Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Arod signed because he never wanted to leave the Yankees but he simply wanted to get the best deal he could and Boras figured they could get a 300+ deal from the Yankees if they made other teams bid against them. Alex believed him and thus opted out on the advise of Boras. Boras convinced him that the Yankees were just bullshitting and would bid for his services along with several other teams.

That didn't happen. Boras ended up making his client even more hated by the population and Arod realized without a bidding war the Yankees were the team that could give him the best deal quickly so he could get this mess overwith. I think Arod cares about his legacy and would love to go down as a all time great Yankee. So he kissed and made up and said give me the best offer u woulda given me pre-opt out and lets get this done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what YOU want to believe, not what actually happened.

And wow, this shows how much of a media charade sports is becoming, and it's just sickening. Lmfao, Boras lost rep? From who? What is Boras' job? An agent. What did he just do? AT THE VERY LEAST get A-Rod $50 million more for two years than he was going to get, and that's not including incentives. When so many types were doubting that A-Rod would be able to get what he wanted, A-Rod got better than what he wanted. A TEN YEAR contract? That is preposterous. Even eight years was stretching it.

How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is." Every player that signs him always gets a monstrous contract, more than they should get. This enhances his rep with the only people that matter: the people who employ him.

And rofl @ A-Rod's rep damaged. Wow, you mean people are going to boo him at home? Why in the world should he care? He gets paid monstrous money for ten years, probably four or five years more than he will actually be worth in on-field production. Oh wow some mindless internet and real-life fans are going to whine, without realizing that A-Rod helps the Yanks more than the Yanks help A-Rod? Why should A-Rod cater to the ignorant anyway?

I love Boras precisely because he is great at his job, and that is what matters. The fact that he made you think not getting $350 million is a loss just proves how good he is, and the fact that you're making it into some personal battle rather than a business relationship shows that you're a bad poster and you don't know very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate agreeing with Vyse sometimes. Unfortunately, this is spot-on.

No one gives a [censored] what the random fan thinks about A-Rod - "Ohhh, he is a pussy and settled for less money; he's only in it for the money, blah blah blah." He negotiated the best contract he could for the job he is going to do for an organization that needs his skills.

What the [censored] is the difference between this and getting a raise from your boss because you might leave for another company?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your an idiot if you think what Boras did is awesome and a great job.

Boras's is supposed to help his client not hurt him.

Arod was in his best possible situation at the end of the season. The Yankee fan base was essentially still behind him despite another poor postseason and the Yankees fans wanted him back and didn't care how much it took to keep him.
He would have gotten as good a contract if not better had he never opted out in the first place.

What were the Yankees were gonna say during negotiations with Boras pre opt out? no thanks...we'll sign Mike Lowell to 4 years instead?

They would have given him as good a deal as he has now if not better because they wouldn't have wanted him to hit the open market and they had a free 21 million.

They had put themselves in a must sign situation by demanding to the media that if he opted out they would cease negotiations. So Arod would have gotten the best deal pre-opt out...not post.

Arod had little no leverage at all post opt out. Both the Yankees and the fan base had essentially moved on and accepted that Arod would never play again for the Yankees.

Arod had tons of leverage pre-opt out.

When your client decides to be termed by most of the media as having had "crawled back to the Yankees" to negotiate a new contract without you leading the negotiations...you haven't done a great job as an agent.

He made Arod look bad and got him a good deal but not the best one possible.

That's not doing your job as an agent.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. The highest offer prior to opt-out was 8/225, according to many reporters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol ...that was the highest offer prior to Arod GOING BACK TO THE YANKEES after he had opted out.

"While Yankees officials went underground yesterday and Boras was silent outside of telling CNBC he is negotiating with the Yankees on Rodriguez's behalf after many believed Rodriguez went behind Boras' back, it's believed the best offer Rodriguez had before surfacing in Tampa Wednesday to meet with the Steinbrenner family was for eight years and $225 million. It wasn't known what team made that offer."

No teams could make an offer pre-opt out.

The Yankee's initial offer pre-opt out was a 5 year extension at like 30 million per year. It was the first offer in what was planned to be a tough negotiation 10 days prior to the opt out. It was the [censored] initial offer---the lowball offer.

Arod would have gotten 10 years regardless...and he undoubtedly would have gotten more per season pre-opt out.

but yeah...your right...Boras did a fantastic job.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 AM

This thread is killing my brain cells. ARod's leverage WAS opting out. He got a substantial raise and extra years, he won. Boras won. Why would the Yankees have given him more money when he was still their property?

Didn't the Yankees threaten to cease all negotiations if he opted out? Didn't they then buckle and give ARod a hefty raise? I know many people are very stupid and blindly swallow everything the ownership shills in the media feed them, but Christ, you people make me weep for America.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:44 AM

I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. The highest offer prior to opt-out was 8/225, according to many reporters.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was as an extension to the remaining years of the current contract.

So compare the 10/275 to 8/225 + the remaining years/$ on the contract he had left pre opt out. It's pretty much a wash.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is killing my brain cells. ARod's leverage WAS opting out. He got a substantial raise and extra years, he won. Boras won. Why would the Yankees have given him more money when he was still their property?

Didn't the Yankees threaten to cease all negotiations if he opted out? Didn't they then buckle and give ARod a hefty raise? I know many people are very stupid and blindly swallow everything the ownership shills in the media feed them, but Christ, you people make me weep for America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fly...Arod leverage was the opt out. Boras was to dumb to actually use it.

"Didn't the Yankees threaten to cease all negotiations if he opted out?"

This is exactly why Arod has so much leverage pre opt out. They painted themselves into a corner where they essentially had to sign him within the next 10 days. Otherwise he was essentially done with the Yankees for good unless they came back to Boras during Free Agency.

Boras could have used those ten days and gone right down to the wire to keep upping the ante and demanding more more more more.

The Yankees didn't have a real plan B short of over spending for Mike Lowell. Arod was the only plan.
Thats why they were shocked when Boras didn't even bother to negotiate a new contract but simply opted out early.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:07 AM

the fact that the yankees gave in and negotiated with A-Rod AFTER he opted out AND they gave him an ultimatum is all the proof you need that Boras helped. Anything else is just wishful thinking.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:35 AM

I think Boras got ARod more than anyone else would have. I also think that, if Boras had played it differently, he'd have gotten ARod more.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love all the misinformed Yankee hating going on in this thread.

Somehow this turned into Boras calling the Yankees bluff and the Yankees came crawling back to A-Rod and Boras, while Boras is agent of the year and the Yankees bitched out. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow "If he opts out, we won't negotiate" is left out. When in reality it means "If he opts out, we cave and give him a fat daddy raise"

Fly is spot on. Why doesn't everyone just randomly spout idiotic media BS instead of looking at facts. Teh Ghey Rod makes more dollars opting out than signing initially.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Boras got ARod more than anyone else would have. I also think that, if Boras had played it differently, he'd have gotten ARod more.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree but would other agents have misplayed the pre-opt out as badly as Boras did?