Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 AM

Default T I L T

Hi my name is Oli and I am a tilter. I see this now very very clear. I have been playing poker since a year now and survived with rb and boni. Lately I have improved my game very much and played very well for over a very ( in which period i normally make a few big mistakes). Then at September 1st it's like someone swiched something and people start lucking my around. The first two days I still played extremly (I guess the best game I can play so far) and still make small profit an both days. Instead of beeing happy I was pissed that I made only small profit... I guess after a year I finally wanted to start making real money. On day 3 I made my first mistake (highly spaculative hand) and from there on there was a domino effect. I gets so bad that a called and open push with a small overpair on the drawy flop because "a good hand would not play like this"

There must be several people out there who had this problem. I hope you can help me. My play so far:

1. Write a script and constantly reading it so it I start to think about villans range etc all the time
2. Not look on my bankroll and therefore only try to play very good.

Any help appreciated.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: T I L T

Try to focus on getting your money in with +EV, and be happier when you do, and more upset when you don't - regardless of the outcome.

Sounds like you are a little too results oriented, and not enough process oriented.

For example, if you get all in vs a uber nit weak-tighty on a flop of AK7 where you have K7s and he has AK, but you suck out and win with a 7 on the river, then you should be mad at yourself for playing K7 in the first place, then getting all-in with what was pretty obviously the worst hand. Similarly, if you get all in with a set of 2s on a J82 flop vs AA, but villain spikes an A on the river, you should be "happy" that you tricked him into getting all in as a 95% underdog regardless of the outcome.

If you focus on the process of +EV decision making ("Sklansky points") rather than outcome, and if you play with a proper bankroll, you might avoid tilt as well as improve your game.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess after a year I finally wanted to start making real money.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is your real problem I think. If this is your goal, making real money, you shouldnt be playing. I have this too some times and it only results in you getting frustrated. Now i have more other stuff besides poker and it helps me alot not focussing too much on poker.

Dunno what you do besides poker, but dont take it too seriously (as in that your results start dictating your life).
Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 PM

I dunno if I can really teach you on this coz I've myself busted my bankroll quite recently. Anyway, basically what I'm doing now is studying the game and playing $5-6 S&Gs until my bankroll is at least 100-200 times that buy-in and then I'll just review my situation, and possibly move up.

Earlier I've made a solid profit in $22 S&Gs. Then I moved up in cash games and lost it all on a couple of crazy clicks of mouse. Not quite the time yet to leave my dayjob....

The Science of Tilt article in 2+2 mag is a good read. It doesn't prevent anyone from going on tilt, but shows that it's all just in your head.

Bankroll management, I suppose, is the main issue to prevent tilt. Find a place that fits and stay there, until you feel certain you can move up.

My last TILT also started with my OWN mistake and then I just made it a SERIES of mistakes... didn't feel like anything anymore. Weird.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:28 PM

I love it how you started: "Hi my name is Oli and I am a tilter"
Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Just yell [censored]!!!!!! and move on.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 AM

nah, don't yell. no anger.

I really like post #2. Also, playing a little overrolled helps me.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
called and open push with a small overpair on the drawy flop because "a good hand would not play like

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play any amount of hands, you are going to make a bad read and get stacked quite often. It happens. If it bothers you, you are playing under-rolled.

After you make the mistake, all you can do is figure out what it was you missed that made you make the bad decision and try not to do it again.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess you are right. I definately play underrolled and should just play to play good and not for tha money. If I play good enough over time the money will follow on it's own.

I am on a break right now and will definately change a few things when I start to play again later this week or next week. Thanks for the advice guys.

Oli
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess after a year I finally wanted to start making real money.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is your real problem I think. If this is your goal, making real money, you shouldnt be playing. I have this too some times and it only results in you getting frustrated. Now i have more other stuff besides poker and it helps me alot not focussing too much on poker.

Dunno what you do besides poker, but dont take it too seriously (as in that your results start dictating your life).

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv playing poker to earn money can't be right. Good post.