Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 PM

Default We are alone in the Universe!

I'd just like to say I'm in the camp that thinks humans are probably the most intelligent life in the universe. I reckon there might be some simple life out there, but not as complex as us.

You people who use the argument "well if it's possible at all, then surely it will happen cause there's a gagillionn stars out there" are just guessing. If the chance that a random star can support life is 10^-200 and there's only like 10^50 stars (Numbers pulled completely out of my ass) then it's more likely you'd win the lottery ten times in a row in a row or something

One more thing to note, we only know the minimum size of the universe. So far there is no theoretical limit as to how big the universe is and therefore about how many stars there are. The radius of the observable Universe is like 13.5 billions light-years, and that's just because the universe is about 13.5 billion years old.

So, even if you could somehow figure out how likely it is a random star can support life, you can only set a minimum on the chances there is life elsewere. This is devil's advocate for people who say there probably isn't life elsewere

So why then do I think we are probably (notice I said probably, not definitely) the most intelligent lifeforms in the universe? Well, I'm not gonna say, cause I'll get laughed off this site. And no, I'm not religious, I'm an atheist and I reckon my thoughts are logical
Old 03-08-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: We are alone in the Universe!

just say it, ass
Old 03-08-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just say it, ass

[/ QUOTE ]

nah
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just say it, ass

[/ QUOTE ]

nah

[/ QUOTE ]

someone ban this moron
Old 03-09-2006, 05:17 AM

Dear Hotpants
Thanks for almost sharing your opinion.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 AM

well the universe consists of atoms and molecules and is expanding with speed of light. where into the universe is expanding is nothing. no molecules no atoms just vacuum.

RIGHT?

Well, the atoms and molecules we have, well they have to come from somewhere. so even before the big bang what was there? There just couldnt be a bang which created physical matter. is should have existed before. If so, who or what created it.

I JUST WANNA KNOW ANSWER. I WANT TO KNOW IT SO HARD that i would agree to die right after you tell me the right answer.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:26 AM

I can't help you too much here, maybe a little

[ QUOTE ]
well the universe consists of atoms and molecules and is expanding with speed of light. where into the universe is expanding is nothing. no molecules no atoms just vacuum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is possible. Although saying 'just vacuum' might not be technically right, let's just call it 'nothing'

It's also possible that the Universe is 'closed', such that if you went in a 'straight' line forever you might end up where you started. An analouge some one already mention is imagine a plane flying in a straight line, but, given enough time it will circle the globe and end up where it started. This is essentially what it would be like in a 2D 'closed' universe, the whole universe would be a sphereical shell in 3D. So yeah, extend that to go from our 3D to a 'curved' spacetime that in 4D would like like a 'hypersphere'

Let's go back the the 2D sphereical shell for a second. To complicate things, the universe is expanding, so image the shell getting bigger and bigger (like a balloon blowing up). In this way, all galaxies appear to not actually move, but the distance between them seems to grow. And apperently this is more correct than saying galaxies are moving away from each other.

So yeah, it's possible the balloon is expanding so fast that if you try to circumnavigate it, due to speed of light limitations, you can't ever make it around since the circumfrence of the universe is getting bigger and bigger too quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the atoms and molecules we have, well they have to come from somewhere. so even before the big bang what was there? There just couldnt be a bang which created physical matter. is should have existed before. If so, who or what created it.

I JUST WANNA KNOW ANSWER. I WANT TO KNOW IT SO HARD that i would agree to die right after you tell me the right answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I WOULD TOO.

I've heard things like " 'before' the big bang is a meaningles statement. There was no space before the big bang, and hence not time (cause space and time are linked)"

That's all I got
Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 AM

WIKI is your friend. The answer is within.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:10 AM

besides the 'time didn't exist before the big bang' thing, all I found in that Wikipedia link was:

[ QUOTE ]
# brane cosmology models, including the ekpyrotic model in which the Big Bang is the result of a collision between branes
# an oscillatory universe in which the early universe's hot, dense state resulted from the Big Crunch of a universe similar to ours. The universe could have gone through an infinite number of big bangs and big crunches. The cyclic extension of the ekpyrotic model is a modern version of such a scenario. (The chief outstanding problem is that entropy would apparently be carried over to each new cycle, resulting in a condition of heat death in the remote past).

[/ QUOTE ]

which just begs the question, where did those things come from? I suppose though that this leaves open the possibility stuff has existed infinitely far back in time
Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Re: 10,000 Galaxies: A Hubble Telescope Image

"Billyuns and billyuns of starrs"